OpenJK crashes at startup

Hi.

I'm frustrated because OpenJK keeps crashing at startup because it says it can't find a file THAT IS IN the same directory as OpenJK. Here's the crash log:

OpenJK: v1.0.1.1 win_msvc-x86 Aug 21 2023
Initialising zone memory .....
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\Users\jared\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\OpenJK\base
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\z_zzz_mainmenumusic.pk3 (5 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\WS HUD and UI v0.1.pk3 (118 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\JK_2019_pt6.pk3 (423 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\JK_2019_pt5.pk3 (690 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\JK_2019_pt4.pk3 (839 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\JK_2019_pt3.pk3 (834 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\JK_2019_pt2.pk3 (170 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\JK_2019_pt1.pk3 (1088 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\GGWeaponsFix.pk3 (17 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets3.pk3 (16 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (62 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8320 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (15346 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base

----------------------
27928 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec openjk_sp.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec_sp.cfg
Running Jedi Academy Mode
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
Trying to load "rdsp-vanilla_x86.dll" from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData"...
Sys_LoadDll(C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\rdsp-vanilla_x86.dll) failed: "Failed loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\rdsp-vanilla_x86.dll: Access is denied.
"
Trying to load "rdsp-vanilla_x86.dll" from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData"...
Sys_LoadDll(C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\rdsp-vanilla_x86.dll) failed: "Failed loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\rdsp-vanilla_x86.dll: The specified module could not be found.
"
Failed to load renderer

It crashes after this.  But rdsp-vanilla_x86.dll IS IN that directory, so I do not understand why the game cannot find it. What do I need to do to fix this? I'm no techie.  I'm on Windows 11 and my computer is definitely more than capable of running both OpenJK AND Jedi Academy.

• Lancelot changed the title to OpenJK crashes at startup

I think this is down to the permissions in the filesystem inherited from the steamdirectory upon installation and management of steam games.

What you can do is install OpenJK into a separate directory that you manually create outside the programs, programs x86 or steam directory - somewhere you know you have full permissions.

In that new directory, place your openjk exes, copy over the dlls next to jasp.exe from your steam gamedata to that new folder that holds the openjk .exes and dlls - mostly eaxman and openal32.

next to the openjk .exes you'll end up with a folder called openjk - that's the mod folder itself - potentially containing .pk3s

You can then add some commands to the startup commandline for OpenJK .exe

+set fs_cdpath "fullpathtosteamGameData" +set fs_basepath "fullpathtosteamGameDataBase" +set fs_game "openjk"

and it should no longer complain about not being able to write or work from the steam dirs.

And furthermore, courtesy of Ensiform - might be wise not to put your OpenJK directory into Onedrive or in general in any sort of file sharing / watched directory. It's bad practise as these tools can interfere with file locking and blocking read / write access during operation.

Bubbles, SomaZ and Futuza like this
21 hours ago, mjt said:

And furthermore, courtesy of Ensiform - might be wise not to put your OpenJK directory into Onedrive or in general in any sort of file sharing / watched directory. It's bad practise as these tools can interfere with file locking and blocking read / write access during operation.

@JaredKFanThis part:

C:\Users\jared\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\OpenJK\base

Can be modified by adding +set fs_homepath as a command line argument (via either batch, in a cmd window, or with a launcher like Steam) when you launch OpenJK.  eg, this would put the user directory on your desktop instead of OneDrive (which is probably a terrible idea to use for writing homepath data to):

openjk.x86.exe +set fs_homepath "C:\Users\jared\Desktop\OpenJK"

mjt likes this

JKG Developer

On 8/28/2023 at 7:48 PM, Bubbles said:

can you take a picture of your gamedata folder?

It is attached. You can see the file it's complaining about right in the folder.

Screenshot 2023-08-30 034614.png

On 8/28/2023 at 7:47 PM, mjt said:

I think this is down to the permissions in the filesystem inherited from the steamdirectory upon installation and management of steam games.

What you can do is install OpenJK into a separate directory that you manually create outside the programs, programs x86 or steam directory - somewhere you know you have full permissions.

In that new directory, place your openjk exes, copy over the dlls next to jasp.exe from your steam gamedata to that new folder that holds the openjk .exes and dlls - mostly eaxman and openal32.

next to the openjk .exes you'll end up with a folder called openjk - that's the mod folder itself - potentially containing .pk3s

You can then add some commands to the startup commandline for OpenJK .exe

+set fs_cdpath "fullpathtosteamGameData" +set fs_basepath "fullpathtosteamGameDataBase" +set fs_game "openjk"

and it should no longer complain about not being able to write or work from the steam dirs.

I tried that.  It's still crashing on startup.  I don't know what to do now. And it is NOT connected to OneDrive or anything like that.

2 hours ago, JaredKFan said:

It is attached. You can see the file it's complaining about right in the folder.

Screenshot 2023-08-30 034614.png

I tried that.  It's still crashing on startup.  I don't know what to do now. And it is NOT connected to OneDrive or anything like that.

Looks as if you have too much stuff in that folder.

Try this: Delete all the files and folders, except the Base folder, then let Steam download the missing files again, which will give you a cleaner installation of the game. Then put all the OpenJK files, and nothing else, into the GameData folder.

You dropped some weird version of ReShade in there - are you sure that's setup correctly? For all I remember for OpenGL32.dll reading games, that's the .dll name you need to get that to work.

That aside - you did NOT follow the suggestion I made, as in that you wouldn't have tried it from the steam directory still... You should install OpenJK elsewhere as instructed, not try to start it from inside the steam directories.

@Lancelot Are you sure it's a good idea to install OpenJK into the Steam GameData? I thought this might be what's giving him trouble to begin with...

Most people install OpenJK in the Steam folder, that shouldn't be an issue.

Make sure you aren't mixing DLLs with different versions of OpenJK or any other mod, that can cause this problem too. Like Lancelot said, best to start fresh and only have what you need in there first and eliminate the problem from there with your mods and reshade stuff after.