Is it possible to simply cut a piece out of a map?

I am thinking of cutting out a part of a particular map and make it into a map of its own. Theoretically, it's possible, right? What do I need to do for it?

Don't freak out, tis nothing illegal :P

Well, it technically is if you want to decompile the map in question to extract that piece of map, although by now everyone and their mother decompiled some maps (like that MBII CMP facility map which is a port of t2_dpred). Otherwise you'll need the original .map file, open it up in Radiant and copy-paste the piece you want.

Another alternative would be to look carefully at the geometry and simply attempt to replicate it, but it's quite difficult.

Wasa and the_raven like this

Well, it technically is if you want to decompile the map in question to extract that piece of map, although by now everyone and their mother decompiled some maps (like that MBII CMP facility map which is a port of t2_dpred). Otherwise you'll need the original .map file, open it up in Radiant and copy-paste the piece you want.

Another alternative would be to look carefully at the geometry and simply attempt to replicate it, but it's quite difficult.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like something that's beyond me, at least, at this point :(

If I might ask, which map were you planning on cutting something out of, and what part of it?

Well, there were two actually. First one was Vjun3 (was it 3?), the starting area - the huge room you jump into once you get out of the hole at the beginning of the level.

The second was one of the areas from the Coruscant Jedi Temple, but then I remembered that that area is a standalone map in KOTF already, so no need for it - this was just for personal use, no uploading anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like something that's beyond me, at least, at this point :(

Its not beyond you. Should you open up a .map file you want to copy ( for example purposes), just make a large brush around the area in question, then under 'edit', scroll down, click: select inside. Radiant will ignore the new brush and most of the brushwork you want will now be highlighted. Hold shift to select any remaining brushes and then: save as.

the_raven likes this
  • 5 months later...