ME3 Commander Shepard

badass.. how many times did u subdivide it in zbrush to work on it? or did u? i usually import it into zbrush, then subdivide her a time er two but i find that sometimes my details are pointless when i bring it back down to the lowest subdivision, so just curious, did u subdivide and how much?

also, i notice a few triangles in there i think. how acceptable are triangles? like, if i get a triangle i usually start over lol. am i a dummass? i was told wayy back in the day to model only in quads, then split into tris. but is it really as necessary as i was told in the past? like, i know for jka its all gunna end up tris anyways, so it doesnt matter, but say if u were modelling for unreal or something, are tris still acceptable or should it always be quads im not sure how that goes and sometimes i get into a pickle where i really wanna use a tri, but dont because of how i learned in the past. i think i was told the tris dont shade the same way as quads or something?

badass.. how many times did u subdivide it in zbrush to work on it? or did u? i usually import it into zbrush, then subdivide her a time er two but i find that sometimes my details are pointless when i bring it back down to the lowest subdivision, so just curious, did u subdivide and how much?

also, i notice a few triangles in there i think. how acceptable are triangles? like, if i get a triangle i usually start over lol. am i a dummass? i was told wayy back in the day to model only in quads, then split into tris. but is it really as necessary as i was told in the past? like, i know for jka its all gunna end up tris anyways, so it doesnt matter, but say if u were modelling for unreal or something, are tris still acceptable or should it always be quads im not sure how that goes and sometimes i get into a pickle where i really wanna use a tri, but dont because of how i learned in the past. i think i was told the tris dont shade the same way as quads or something?

I can answer that, as I have done a lot in Unreal. Technically it does not matter, and this is true for pretty much any engine really...you should do your best to avoid tris certainly if for no other reason than they can make inserting edgeloops a royal pain, but the only time they are a huge concern are if they are in the edgeflow for say, the elbows or knees, or other bending or heavily animated areas. Technically all Quads are made of two triangles anyway, and since most engines read them as tris, there is really no reason to worry about it...but a cleaner mesh is much easier to uvmap and animate. However I would never go out of my way to split anything into tris...let the engine do that.

The shading most likely has to do with texture distribution...but I can safely say I have used meshes with tris in them, in Unreal, and have had no issues.

Nice work! To me it looks as if Shepard's cheek bones aren't quite as pushed forward, though. Or it could be the err "slopes" under the cheekbones that are too deep in your model. His nose is also a bit too wide I think. This stuff won't be that noticeable if you nail the texture though, which I'm sure you will. :)

I don't know what it is Inyri, but something about his mouth seems off...might just be Max's shading though...it tends to screw with ones eyes.

I think it is the best model Shepard in the Jedi Academy world ;-) Shepard has a lot of face model so for sure it can be passed :D

I saying overall, not just that it looks weird compared to Shepard himself...but I also stated that I think it is just the way 3DS Max shades surfaces, this is especially likely if she is using one of the older versions...but given the dark background, I'd say she is using 2010 or newer.

• 3 weeks later...