My latest obsession: ROTJ Throne Room Duel SP

Hmmm...This is a rough guess but I would say no less than about 35-40? I've been a bit non-stop this last week. What really takes up the most time is having to make such minor tweaks (cameras, nav_goals) almost entirely on guess work, and then rebuild the entire map to see if it worked at all. That, and working around Windows 10 nonsense :P It's just a lot of check, repeat, check, repeat, etc over and over to see what works and what doesn't.

Edit: that number also includes the mapping process, too lol

Quick question for y'all:

After studying the scene from Return of the Jedi closely, I noticed something quite dang obvious. Something I totally overlooked somehow. For the first part of the duel, Luke and Vader fight until Luke kicks Vader down the stairs. After this portion, however, Luke ONLY uses his lightsaber in self defense. Then, Vader brings the bridge down and taunts his anger, and Luke attacks again. Forgive me if this is obvious, but I never quite picked up on the "self-defense" nature of the middle portion of the duel.

So my question is this: would is be more accurate and (more importantly) FUN to have the middle portion of the duel be a "defend yourself against Vader" and you need to survive a set time against him? Perhaps a 1:30 time limit? Or would this be boring, tedious gameplay? Vader would be invincible during this portion, or he could have a set amount of health that, if you killed him, you'd turn to the dark side for fighting in anger...

Any opinions are welcome! :D

Lancelot and GPChannel like this

Rly like the changes! You made amazing camera movement! Great style. The only thing that was funny for me was the 2:50 when Emperor is saying : the Hate is ... And Luke Smiles XD .

I suggest to change hairstyle for luke because he had diffrent one ;)

therfiles likes this

@@therfiles

If you think about it, the fight reflects Luke's state of mind, but in a subtle way. You can say that there are three phases: First, he's defending himself, because he doesn't want to harm his father (after all, he initially wanted to kill Palpatine). Darth Vader is a little bit more powerful there than Luke. Secondly, he's getting more into an offensive phase and gets on par with Vader. Thirdly, after Vader threatens to turn Leia to the Dark Side, Luke is standing on the edge to the Dark Side. He gets more agressive and weakens Vader in the process. These phases were probably the lessons Luke had to learn, which would get him to the Light Side again. But these are just my thoughts about that.  :)

Now, about the mission:

This sounds pretty interesting, actually. It shouldn't just be mashing buttons and hoping for the best, but something challenging without being unfair.

Defending yourself while Darth Vader is temporarily invincible? Why not? It would be boring if you would make a lightsaber battle similar to the ones of Jedi Academy/Outcast.

therfiles likes this

So my question is this: would is be more accurate and (more importantly) FUN to have the middle portion of the duel be a "defend yourself against Vader" and you need to survive a set time against him? Perhaps a 1:30 time limit? Or would this be boring, tedious gameplay? Vader would be invincible during this portion, or he could have a set amount of health that, if you killed him, you'd turn to the dark side for fighting in anger...

Any opinions are welcome! :D

How about instead of making him invincible, make the outcome different if you decide to fight back against Vader. You could have the choice to avoid hitting him for a minute and half, while he's trying to kill you, or you could also allow the player to hit him, and change the game so you get a dark side ending for 'giving in to your hate'. 

Think about the moment when you can kill Rosh, if you do any damage to him, the outcome of the end games changes for ever. 

therfiles and Langerd like this

@@Langerd:

Thank you for the praise! I'll look into that moment. Fine tuning their facial expressions has been difficult, so that moment may have slipped by.

@@Lancelot

Great analysis of the scene, and I'm glad you see it similarly. My goal has been trying to remove some of the more gimmicky JA/JO saber mechanics that turn duels into a mash button fest: by limited the use of Katas (the right and left click button) and building the player's force powers and saber abilities throughout the duel. But I agree - I think a defense against Vader, with Vader going bezerk could be sweet.

@@Noodle

I like the Dark Side option there. I've also added the ability to kill the Emperor throughout the duel: doing so allows you to either join Vader or continue the fight against him with renewed Dark Side abilities. I think giving Vader something like 50/30ish health, so that a fluke strike won't turn you to the dark side: rather, a pattern of intense aggression will. I'll need to figure out what happens when you strike Vader down: do you then fight the Emperor? Or, perhaps more story-like would be having Luke kneel before the Emperor, accepting his dark side apprenticeship.

I think this portion will force me to use OpenJK (not a bad thing lol) because then I can put a 1:30 or so timer on the HUD (with CVARS) so that the player knows how long to resist.

I'll need to figure out what happens when you strike Vader down: do you then fight the Emperor? Or, perhaps more story-like would be having Luke kneel before the Emperor, accepting his dark side apprenticeship.

I think this portion will force me to use OpenJK (not a bad thing lol) because then I can put a 1:30 or so timer on the HUD (with CVARS) so that the player knows how long to resist.

I think he would go the pre-burnt Vader route of thinking he can kill the emperor and take power for himself. Of course, had Luke fallen to the dark side, I doubt he would have been able to defeat the emperor on his own.

therfiles likes this
  • 5 months later...