Wierd entity problem, seriously wtf

Alright so I went to compile tonight and hit the max map entities error. So ok i've got a lot of func groups, I ungrouped them all, still hit the error, ok next largest group was the lights... erased them all it goes away... O_O... now for those of you REALLY familiar with this engine, lights are not suppose to count against you during compile... So, wtf?

Basically through all of my many years of experience I am truly for once stumped.... Why the fuck are my light entities counting against overall entity count during my meta compile. Yet every source says they don't, that they are filtered out as a separate thing. I've tried the Wzmap.exe, that pos just crashes constantly since I don't have the compatible cpu socket apparently...

I wont even try to hide it, by most favored project and possibly my crown jewel hinges on figuring this out... The sense of desperation is high, every moment of my free time I've given up into this project (which is day and night atm literally I sleep 3 hours and get up and keep going between work) is falling apart in front of me because of some  random wtf situation... :

Alright so I went to compile tonight and hit the max map entities error. So ok i've got a lot of func groups, I ungrouped them all, still hit the error, ok next largest group was the lights... erased them all it goes away... O_O... now for those of you REALLY familiar with this engine, lights are not suppose to count against you during compile... So, wtf?

Basically through all of my many years of experience I am truly for once stumped.... Why the fuck are my light entities counting against overall entity count during my meta compile. Yet every source says they don't, that they are filtered out as a separate thing. I've tried the Wzmap.exe, that pos just crashes constantly since I don't have the compatible cpu socket apparently...

I wont even try to hide it, by most favored project and possibly my crown jewel hinges on figuring this out... The sense of desperation is high, every moment of my free time I've given up into this project (which is day and night atm literally I sleep 3 hours and get up and keep going between work) is falling apart in front of me because of some  random wtf situation... :

Wait... light enities are counting as the nities as well?? I thought whole 3rd stage is for them...

How many lighting enities You have comparing to shaders that are light sources? 

And also .. light entity ..how exactly does it works?? Making lighting with the shaders doesnt create any entities just the lightning right?? I am confused right now...

How many Func_groups You have? I use them many times but they are pissing me off because when i just want to copy a brushes from func_group's and i end up with multiple single brush func_groups.. 

AngelModder likes this

Wait... light enities are counting as the nities as well?? I thought whole 3rd stage is for them...

How many lighting enities You have comparing to shaders that are light sources? 

And also .. light entity ..how exactly does it works?? Making lighting with the shaders doesnt create any entities just the lightning right?? I am confused right now...

How many Func_groups You have? I use them many times but they are pissing me off because when i just want to copy a brushes from func_group's and i end up with multiple single brush func_groups.. 

I had WAY to many light entities and func groups, about 4000 lights and 1300 func groups because of the same thing as your self. I solved by replacing a lot of my repetitive lighting such as the swoop track's blue side lighting with shaders. Turns out light entities do count, however shader lighting doesn't as they are not added up and inserted into the entity list until the 3rd stage "lighting". So while you will always have some uses for entity lights, they sadly do add to your count and you're better off to use shader lighting.

Afaik lights don't count as ents, unless you keep them (forget how, but I've seen it somewhere). Pretty sure func_groups are just for in-editor grouping

I always thought the same, however perhaps it's a problem with the latest q3map2? It seems that the newest 64 bit one DOES count them against you... :/ The proof is in the pudding, I removed a bunch of lights and the max entity error stopped and let me continue compiling.

I had WAY to many light entities and func groups, about 4000 lights and 1300 func groups because of the same thing as your self. I solved by replacing a lot of my repetitive lighting such as the swoop track's blue side lighting with shaders. Turns out light entities do count, however shader lighting doesn't as they are not added up and inserted into the entity list until the 3rd stage "lighting". So while you will always have some uses for entity lights, they sadly do add to your count and you're better off to use shader lighting.

Have You fixed the func_groups ? How many of them ? May sound stupid but check in the console the amount of enities after compile: 

Show Us the  printscreen from gtkradiant.

-with func_groups

-without func_groups

And check if the amount of enities changes .  

-Pretty sure func_groups are just for in-editor grouping. 

about that ... i dont think so .. maybe You Are Right @@DT85 but from the other side func_groups has their diffrent options and You can change many things in them.. as like in the func_ enities which i believe counts as the enities ..  so in some way they might be count as the enities as well. Maybe it is like - well it is not 100% entity but i will still count it as entity because... F@$k You mappers 

I am using func_group more often lately so i also want to be aware of that :/

AngelModder likes this

So ran a few test, atleast as far as the q3map2 64 bit version that comes with gtk 1.6 is concerned Func groups and lights count as entities. I mean duh a light is an entity but apprently the coders removed the bit that use to make them not count against your overall count limit. The fix is sadly shader lighting. They don't get counted up etc untill Light compile. Func groups apparently are considered entities to it, however I am unsure if they will make you break the limit or are just ignored.

Langerd likes this

ALL entities count as entities as such by the compiler, including lights when being parsed and processed. Once they are stripped and no longer looked at in process of map->bsp they no longer count. (MAX_MAP_ENTITIES in gtkr/q3map2)

The only place they don't count is by the gamecode even if you keep them. (MAX_GENTITIES)

Pressing the "m" key in radiant will show you a count and breakdown of what's what.

• 3 months later...