Problems with frankensteining in Blender

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

Heya DarthStevenus.

I believe you should have something that looks similar to this (link below) in order for it to work. This is the final way mine looked as I exported the character and set him up in-game all working, so it's a working hierarchy. Check if you have the model_root in there.

Note, the "_0" after every name, I believe, doesn't make a difference in things. As long as you have the actual correct name of what the object/bolt/cap etc is in the 'Ghoul 2 Properties' part, it should be ok.

https://jkhub.org/images/w1gZ4Yn.png

If this doesn't help you out, post some screenshots of your stuff to give us a better view of what's going on exactly. :)

Good luck!

ooeJack

Edit: Note also you might not be up to the part where all your mesh has to be all hierarchy'd, so don't worry about that if you're not up to it yet, I'm sure the tutorial will explain it. But just to make sure that you have your model_root and the other stuff there. :)

DarthStevenus likes this

Does the assassin droid count as a player model? If not then yeah that's probably my problem. I'm trying to add the assassin droid shield to the stormtrooper model to get that force field effect, since simply making a custom NPC file with the stormtrooper player model set to CLASS_ASSASSIN_DROID doesn't quite do the trick. But I think I remember getting the same error when trying to frankenstein the chiss head onto the shadowtrooper body.

Okay, so I imported my stormtrooper, deleted the other model_roots (what are those by the way, and why am I deleting them?), I parented the shield to the stormtrooper torso_0, but when I try to export as a glm I get an error message about unweighted verts. So I searched the forums and found this thread:

https://jkhub.org/topic/6968-blender-lod-help/?hl=unweighted&do=findComment&comment=100949

Did as the last post suggests and looked up some info on weighting. The shield is full red. I don't want it to be red right, because then it would...deform? I want it to be full blue don't I? In either case, I painted it all blue but selecting the whole skeleton in pose mode and moving it off to the side drags the stormtrooper model along with it, but not the shield. It does that whether I've painted the sphere blue or left it red. I assume this means something went wrong when I tried to parent the sphere to the stormtrooper model, but I don't know for sure.

EDIT: I just looked at the assassin droid model and noticed the force_shield_off object was parented to hips_0 and not torso_0, so I parented it to the stormtrooper's hips_0 instead. Thought that might solve the problem, but it didn't. I'm just taking shots in the dark, I don't really know exactly what I'm doing.

Okay, so I imported my stormtrooper, deleted the other model_roots (what are those by the way, and why am I deleting them?), I parented the shield to the stormtrooper torso_0, but when I try to export as a glm I get an error message about unweighted verts. So I searched the forums and found this thread:

https://jkhub.org/topic/6968-blender-lod-help/?hl=unweighted&do=findComment&comment=100949

Did as the last post suggests and looked up some info on weighting. The shield is full red. I don't want it to be red right, because then it would...deform? I want it to be full blue don't I? In either case, I painted it all blue but selecting the whole skeleton in pose mode and moving it off to the side drags the stormtrooper model along with it, but not the shield. It does that whether I've painted the sphere blue or left it red. I assume this means something went wrong when I tried to parent the sphere to the stormtrooper model, but I don't know for sure.

EDIT: I just looked at the assassin droid model and noticed the force_shield_off object was parented to hips_0 and not torso_0, so I parented it to the stormtrooper's hips_0 instead. Thought that might solve the problem, but it didn't. I'm just taking shots in the dark, I don't really know exactly what I'm doing.

Given that the shield is also fully weighted (1.000) to the skeleton_root of the Assassin Droid I think that's not the problem.

The hierarchy isn't a problem either. I guess that only really changes the way it's dismembered, but I'm not sure.

Does the unweighted vertex error refer to the spherical mesh of force_shield_off_0? In that case, I can only suggest you to put aside vertex painting, which I think might miss some vertexes, and instead select the shield, enter Edit Mode, select all the vertexes (A key), then, under Object Data, Assign all the selected vertexes of the mesh to the Vertex Group Skeleton_Root, with a Weight value of 1.000. More or less the same applies in case the error refers to a different mesh than the shield.

The other model_root empty entities are used for LOD (level of detail) support. You'll notice model_root_0, which is the main model, model_root_1, which is the first LOD, up to model_root_3, each tied to a decreased quality version of the model, which is loaded in-game when far away or when forced. They certainly are useful, but not essential to the game.

DarthStevenus and ooeJack like this