Holocron as Detonator, Mine, or Saber?

I've seen a lot of cool weapon mods over the years... C3PO heads as detonators, cheese mines, comlink and datapad sabers with in-game animations... But is there any way to take the in game Holocron model and make it something the player can use or throw?

I know this is probably a strange request, and it would look rather weird to have them hold it above their head in that trip mine animation, but it's still an idea that makes me think.

On a side note, even if this request isn't taken up, I want to thank the community for all the amazing content that's been coming out in recent months; both original ideas, and requests taken up. You are all amazing!

It can be done but if it replaces the trip mine it's still going to function as a trip mine. In other words it will still explode. Oh and which holocron are you wanting? There's a lot of them in the game. If your using this for your movies it could be made into anything a npc, playermodel, saber, etc.

It can be done but if it replaces the trip mine it's still going to function as a trip mine. In other words it will still explode. Oh and which holocron are you wanting? There's a lot of them in the game. If your using this for your movies it could be made into anything a npc, player model, saber, etc.

The main light side holocron has that neat two layer effect, but if any of the specific force power holocrons were made into an item, I know enough on how to remap those to each of the different once since it'd just be re-skinning with existing assets.

A saber might be the best in that it would be in their hands, but it'd have to be a convincing animation to go with it... I'm not sure how the creator of the commlink saber or datapad saber got the models in MP to interact with them correctly.

For my films, being able to spawn them places would be neat, but the most interesting would be to have a player hold them... I guess mines sort of accomplish both, even if the pose for holding it is so terrible.

The main light side holocron has that neat two layer effect, but if any of the specific force power holocrons were made into an item, I know enough on how to remap those to each of the different once since it'd just be re-skinning with existing assets.

A saber might be the best in that it would be in their hands, but it'd have to be a convincing animation to go with it... I'm not sure how the creator of the commlink saber or datapad saber got the models in MP to interact with them correctly.

For my films, being able to spawn them places would be neat, but the most interesting would be to have a player hold them... I guess mines sort of accomplish both, even if the pose for holding it is so terrible.

I don't know what your running your game on (MOD or base) but it be an easy animation change to make the dets or thermal pose look better.

Could make two versions, one as an NPC and one as a saber. Would probably be really simple to do in Blender too. If it's just a cube holocron, could just make a cube. I think the Sith holocrons are generally pyramids, which would be just as easy. Could even give them a cool looking shader to glow or give off some kind of pulsing illumination.

ZanderNao likes this

Sorry for asking but the texture is so simple to edit do you want something custom?

Here's the npc and it's also a player model. (I decided to be silly). I made a custom skin but any of the default skins from the game will work as well. They also will work to change the saber texture as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63672348/holocron.pk3

And here's the saber

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63672348/Holocron%20Saber.pk3

Hahaha, that's great! It really looks great!.

jamp%202016-08-06%2005-46-03-78.jpgA
All mystical objects should float just a little, right?

jamp%202016-08-06%2005-47-08-79.jpgI
I think this pose is probably the most realistic for holding a holocron out of the available saber stances.

jamp%202016-08-06%2005-47-10-56.jpg
Offering it up to a Padawan

jamp%202016-08-06%2005-47-57-31.jpg
Not quite the best stance, for believability, lol.

@@Circa, you whet my appetite for a Sith Holocron though... The concept is so exciting, haha. Thank you both for thinking about this idea, and working towards it. I am so very lucky. Thank you Jeff for this first one!!

Jeff likes this

I absolutely adored the first holocron, but I wanted to really delve deep and make a collection of different patterns. I am normally very good at looking at how someone put together a mod, dissecting it, and then making reskins and things... I've made a bunch of droid vehicles, some normal vehicles, player model reskins... But when I tried to re-wrap the holocrons with other textures to get a collection, they just spawned invisible. I played with the shader, I played with the files I made for the glow... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I used these as the holocron textures:

holo3.jpg  holo2.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong exactly.

JAWSFreelao likes this

I absolutely adored the first holocron, but I wanted to really delve deep and make a collection of different patterns. I am normally very good at looking at how someone put together a mod, dissecting it, and then making reskins and things... I've made a bunch of droid vehicles, some normal vehicles, player model reskins... But when I tried to re-wrap the holocrons with other textures to get a collection, they just spawned invisible. I played with the shader, I played with the files I made for the glow... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I used these as the holocron textures:

holo3.jpg  holo2.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong exactly.

Are you trying to change the saber or npc model?

Are you trying to change the saber or npc model?

At first I tried making an alternate copy of the npc model, but then when that didn't work I tried to make an alternate copy of the saber and instead got just the original holocron saber even when I got it to list itself as a second saber.

At first I tried making an alternate copy of the npc model, but then when that didn't work I tried to make an alternate copy of the saber and instead got just the original holocron saber even when I got it to list itself as a second saber.

For the npc just go into the folder from models/players/holocron/and add a skin file, also the texture of your holocron, and edit the npc file to include the 2nd npc with the custom skin.

For the saber

add this to the sab. file

saber_holo2
{
name "Jedi Holocron 2"
saberType SABER_SINGLE
saberModel "models/weapons2/saber_holo/saber_w.glm"
soundOn "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
soundLoop "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
soundOff "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
customSkin      "models/weapons2/saber_holo/alt.skin"
saberLength 0
saberColor random
damageScale 0
        noBlade         1
        saberRadius     0
        maxChain        0
        lockable        0
        throwable       1
        disarmable      1
        blocking        0
        twohanded       0
        forcerestrict   0
        lockbonus       1
        parrybonus      1
        breakparrybonus 1
        disarm          1
        bounceonwalls   0 
        nowallmarks     1
        nodlight        1
        trailstyle      2
        noidleefect     1
noPullAttack 0
noRollStab 0
noBackAttack 0
noStabDown 0
noClashFlare 0
noIdleEffect 1
kataMove 0
lungeAtkMove 0
jumpAtkFwdMove 0
g2MarksShader none

swingsound1             "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
        swingsound2             "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
        swingsound3             "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
        fallsound1              "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
        fallsound2              "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
        fallsound3              "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
        hitsound1               "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
        hitsound2               "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
        hitsound3               "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
blocksound1 "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
blocksound2 "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
blocksound3 "sound/weapons/saber/taunt.wav"
}

then add a skin file to models/weapons2/saberholo/alt.skin

with this in the skin file

holocron,models/weapons2/saber_holo/holo3

holo3 being the texture which will need to be added to the same folder.

If this is too confusing PM me and I'll send you the files. I tested them and it worked.

It took a lot of trial and error, but between Jeff's remote help and examples, I got the two he worked on to work as well as a third holocron pattern. I even got the glow shaders to work that I made myself! I know it's such a miniscule step, but thanks for your help in making me a better modder Jeff! I really need to keep practicing with skin files.

Examples of the Finished Products:

jamp%202016-08-09%2008-51-21-03.jpg
jamp%202016-08-09%2008-51-15-14.jpg
jamp%202016-08-09%2008-51-26-69.jpg
jamp%202016-08-09%2009-01-35-00.jpg
jamp%202016-08-09%2009-02-18-05.jpg

Jeff likes this

Thanks so much!!!! Ugh, I was forgetting steps with the skin files. I'm glad I was able to do this remotely with your instructions. I want to get at least a little better at modding so I don't have to ALWAYS bug people with my requests. Thanks so much! You're my hero, and my teacher :D

Your welcome, and I'm happy to help. 

ZanderNao likes this