Noob questions about editing a saber/sword model...

I'm trying to edit a sword model's size and it's uv mapping for Jedi Academy, and I have a basic idea about what I'm doing (I'm l33t cuz I know what blade tags arez), but I have some random questions about it. Also, I have almost no experience in modeling otherwise except small tweaks.

1. MD3 vs. GLM

What is an md3 file exactly? Is it really any different from a weapon glm since neither store skeleton information? If I convert a glm to md3 and vice vera do I lose any information like UV mapping?

2. UV mapping

Is it easy to edit/modify UV mapping on a model without completely redoing it? Is Gmax or Milkshape able to do this? Do I lose the UV mapping information when going between formats? Like if I save a glm as the native milkshape format (ms3d) and then convert it back?

Raven's MD3View can convert md3 to glm. That's often used for sabers, actually, because md3 exporters are more common than glm ones.

How much information is lost when converting between formats depends largely on the converter - unanimated md3 (or glm without a skeleton) is pretty simple, LODs aside, so you're unlikely to run into format limitations.

Langerd likes this

GLM is an extension of the MD3 format with the following differences:

* Bone-based animation (as opposed to vertex based) in a separate skeleton file (as opposed to embedded in the file itself)

* Textures are specified in an external .skin file as opposed to embedded in the file.

* LODs are embedded into the file, as opposed to being separate models.

GLM is superior in almost every way to MD3 because of its design. The only place it makes sense is for static map objects - these get converted into brushes (or more specifically, patches) which have their own LODs.

You will still use MD3 files though for world models, even for weapons, at least in the base game engine.

Use GMAX over MS3D, far superior.

Both software are VASTLY outdated and as far as their ability to generate/edit UV data is pretty much ancient compared to the software of today.