Topic Moderation

...in what forum? You're only allowed to delete your own topic in certain forums.

Art, Media & Technology.

I don't think that's fair, you should be allowed to delete any topic you create, no matter where it is. Can we get a fix for it?

Art, Media & Technology.

I don't think that's fair, you should be allowed to delete any topic you create, no matter where it is. Can we get a fix for it?

Some forums would be bad if people could delete their own topic.

Instead maybe what we could do is allow people to hide their own topics, not delete them. Moderators rarely delete content, they only hide it. Files being an exception. I will have to consult with the rest of the team and see if they think this is a good idea.

Daedra likes this

Its perfectly fair. We should be aware of any topic or post removal of any kind. If you want a topic or post removed, PM a staff member and we'll get it taken care of, unless for some reason we prefer it to stay up (rare occasions).

For example, if someone is attacking others, and we get reports of it, but the attacker removes all evidence of it before we can take a look, we're left to do nothing.

You can already edit your posts, I think that's more than enough control over your content.

eezstreet likes this

Its perfectly fair. We should be aware of any topic or post removal of any kind. If you want a topic or post removed, PM a staff member and we'll get it taken care of, unless for some reason we prefer it to stay up (rare occasions).

For example, if someone is attacking others, and we get reports of it, but the attacker removes all evidence of it before we can take a look, we're left to do nothing.

You can already edit your posts, I think that's more than enough control over your content.

Then why provide the ability to delete the Topic if you can't? Where's the logic in that? And I don't really always like bothering Staff when I can just delete it in 2 clicks.

And you are only highlighting something very specific to prove your point. I am talking generally. Yes there might be a Topic which holds an arguement, that doesn't automatically mean the creator will delete the Topic, he will just use his common sense and report the person(s) instead.

But that is distracting from the point of the Creator wanting to delete their Topic, not the issue of dealing with idiots in the comments. Those are two seperate issues entirely.

And no, I disagree that Staff should be entirely aware of any Topic removal. If that was the case then the Topic Moderation wouldn't even exist as an option to begin with, but as eezstreet stated, it works in some Categories but not others. If it works in some Categories, it should work in all Categories.

Unless of course the Staff should know everything, then you could just remove the option entirely if that is such an important factor.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

The only forums (that I'm aware of) where people can delete their posts is in the JKA Modding Requests and Suggestions and JKA WIP forums. If the option to delete the topic exists in other forums, then it's a bug.

Circa already explained why we're against having people delete their posts and topics and your counterpoint makes no sense. Staff need to maintain as good oversight of posting as possible, but naturally going through 300+ posts a day is difficult.

In the future I think we are ditching the option for users to delete their own posts and only providing the option to hide them.

Daedra likes this

The option being there is a bug in the software. I've tried finding a way to fix it but can't quite find anything on our end. That button is there for staff usually, with much more options than just "delete" and for some reason it's showing it to normal members even though they don't have permissions to do so. It's a bug, not us teasing you.

Also, my reasonings mentioned before are from past experiences. We actually tried giving users the ability to delete posts and threads for awhile and that happened. Also, people for some strange reason delete or request to delete their threads after their questions are answered. That's really frustrating to see as a member (on other forums and before i was staff) because what if other people want to see the answer to their problem or question or the steps taken to fix their issue, etc.

There are better reasons to not give members this ability than to give them. And frankly, I have never been on a forum where users are able to delete their own posts or threads.

Daedra, eezstreet, Jeff and 1 other like this

The only forums (that I'm aware of) where people can delete their posts is in the JKA Modding Requests and Suggestions and JKA WIP forums. If the option to delete the topic exists in other forums, then it's a bug.

Circa already explained why we're against having people delete their posts and topics and your counterpoint makes no sense. Staff need to maintain as good oversight of posting as possible, but naturally going through 300+ posts a day is difficult.

In the future I think we are ditching the option for users to delete their own posts and only providing the option to hide them.

Does this go for individual posts or threads? or both?