An idea about MD3 models

i was thinking a solution about this... when you place and MD3 models into map, you need to manually building the colldier with brushes textured with system/physic_clip round the model. because using the solid spawnflag of model is not a good idea because engine generate a solid structural collider very complex and heavy for map and for engine itself.

so... i was thinking about that...

why not make on blender the models itself with also their collider boxes textured with md3shader "textures/system/physic_clip" or any other kind of clip shaders? so the model MD3 itself get is own collider, include with MD3 itself. during radiant compiling, engine read the shader of the physic clip and male solid the collider meshes. that was my idea. should be work? or the engine automatically avoid to clipping the misc_model entities?

i was thinking a solution about this... when you place and MD3 models into map, you need to manually building the colldier with brushes textured with system/physic_clip round the model. because using the solid spawnflag of model is not a good idea because engine generate a solid structural collider very complex and heavy for map and for engine itself.

so... i was thinking about that...

why not make on blender the models itself with also their collider boxes textured with md3shader "textures/system/physic_clip" or any other kind of clip shaders? so the model MD3 itself get is own collider, include with MD3 itself. during radiant compiling, engine read the shader of the physic clip and male solid the collider meshes. that was my idea. should be work? or the engine automatically avoid to clipping the misc_model entities?

I think it wont work because if You will _remap for example a rock model from hoth and You will use a rock texture for example from textures/desert - It will be non solid still.

Even if the texture should be solid it wont be solid on the model. About system textures i am not sure but i think they will have no functions if they are on the model. The shaders that affect on the compiler and on map build will not work if used on models in my opinion :/

I think it wont work because if You will _remap for example a rock model from hoth and You will use a rock texture for example from textures/desert - It will be non solid still.

Even if the texture should be solid it wont be solid on the model. About system textures i am not sure but i think they will have no functions if they are on the model. The shaders that affect on the compiler and on map build will not work if used on models in my opinion :/

Oh, craps :\ pity, that's is really frustrating :(. Thanks for answer. :)

Oh, craps :\ pity, that's is really frustrating :(. Thanks for answer. :)

But i have diffent idea. You can make the shape of your model in blender more simple shape and add the physic_clip to it. Then in Gtkradiant You will make two MD3 models with the same coordiantes - One will be Your castle or something like that second will be this simpler shaped invisible model BUT You will add it solid mark. Still dont know It will be good idead to do it but You can try ;)

Asgarath83 likes this

But i have diffent idea. You can make the shape of your model in blender more simple shape and add the physic_clip to it. Then in Gtkradiant You will make two MD3 models with the same coordiantes - One will be Your castle or something like that second will be this simpler shaped invisible model BUT You will add it solid mark. Still dont know It will be good idead to do it but You can try ;)

Should be a good idea and mount e blade models and building have also the colliders already ready (thanks @zefilus for the mount&blade idea... really useful D: ) BUT... as wonko told... eh eh... the collider are simple, but need however to be triangulized >_> so they however make a lot of structural junks into the map. should be better of MD3 models, but they make however too much structural things... sigh. JKA engine is really limitated on this point... okay okay, manually clipping forever ._.  

The solid flag sucks. Bad idea.

But generally it would be useful to be able to define a collision mesh with your models; but that's a new feature that would need to be added to the game.

Well, you gave me another idea, maybe for future: if some release of gtk radiant can contain some function about the auto generatig a simple clip system of collision for the misc_models entities. it's possible to write some kind of plug in for gtk radiant 1.5.0 and 1.6.0 about this?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinking this right now @@mrwonko because it's something that is really needed to bring this game up to par along with things that are currently being worked on like a new render engine. Collision in this game is terrible, flat out. I've worked on other engines that used simple collision meshes and it would be nice to see this implemented into JA.

Asgarath83, Tempust85 and Psyk0Sith like this