How to deal with this _lightmapscale issue..

Ok so i have again.. the same problem... I am compiling now the map with _lightmapscale 1. The IlluminateRawLightmap took forever and i thought that is cause of the Lightmapscale 0.2 ... After that the map looked like shit.

shot1457.jpg
shot1458.jpg
shot1456.jpg

Yeah i am smurf. I heard that giving the _lomen in the light compiling options will kill this problem but also i heard that it will take forever... and sometimes maps still look like crap even with this option.

Is there any way to completely destroy this problem? I am clear - Destroy. Deal with this once and for all.

Ah edit - the map was previously made in the noobish big box style. So i decided to make it as smaller as it is possible. The first two compile states are gone less than the minute. Only the last one takes so long..

Edited by Langerd

Are you using GTK to compile or an external GUI?

Is this rend2?

What happens if you don't specify a lightmap scale?

1.I Use gtk to compile the map

2.Nope it is not

3.The Lightmapscale 1 worked fine. Now i am checking the lower count of it

Thanks for quick answer :)

Not sure if -lomem could fix it, as far as I know it's only used when dealing with memory limits.

Pande might know more, I recall reading something he posted after compiling his DOTF map about it being "so saturated with lightmap info" that even the Menu was having troubles. Can't seem to find it though.

Not sure if -lomem could fix it, as far as I know it's only used when dealing with memory limits.

Pande might know more, I recall reading something he posted after compiling his DOTF map about it being "so saturated with lightmap info" that even the Menu was having troubles. Can't seem to find it though.

Yep. When i compiled the map in the 0.1 lightmapscale even the loading screen was screwed up ... It also cause that i had to restart the game because menu looked like crap...

That's really interesting. I've never heard of a map affecting the game outside of the map unless it's not even allowing OpenGL to start haha.

@@Pande - tagged to see if he can help.

Have you tried passing the compiled map off to a friend to see if they have the same issue when playing it?

Langerd likes this

That's really interesting. I've never heard of a map affecting the game outside of the map unless it's not even allowing OpenGL to start haha.

@@Pande - tagged to see if he can help.

Have you tried passing the compiled map off to a friend to see if they have the same issue when playing it?

No i didnt but i am 100% sure that he would have the same thing. This is only happens after light state

Hmm this may be problem but i dont think so. I add the ambient to the misc_models. Question - Do they take the ambient from worldspawn or i must gave them ambient spawnflag too so nevermind of that? Which option?

Ambient light is essentially telling the engine to paint the textures a lighter, brighter color. I assume it is generated on the model's textures only, not drawing from anything else.

Langerd likes this

Ambient light is essentially telling the engine to paint the textures a lighter, brighter color. I assume it is generated on the model's textures only, not drawing from anything else.

So this is not a problem. I also checked that i made horrible mistake - i made some misc_models solid .. This map is pretty old and forgot many things to delete or unmark. Sadly removing these models.. didnt solved the problem.

Now i will check the lightmapscale 0.4 and gridsize 64 64 64 (Pande made Jkg tatooine map this way and the strange fact is that there is no func_group.. maybe it disapear after converting it to the map file but who knows).

The lightmapscale 0.5 worked fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen this before when I tried to light a map that was like 150k brushes or something ridiculous (huge terrain experiment). It got so bad it actually caused my game to fail to render the UI properly, causing all-black UI with screwed up text and interesting effects like all textures in the map becoming a mixture of hall-of-mirrors and would copy the current screen frame to it's texture coordinates... looked very, very odd. 

It's some sort of memory issue. Your lightmap is too big.

Try func_Groups with higher lightmapscales, like 2 or 4 or even 8, especially if they have a lot of patches.

And yes, func_group are not saved into the BSP so if you decompile my map you will not see them. I believe the source files for it are somewhere though if you look through my threads. 

Langerd likes this

I have seen this before when I tried to light a map that was like 150k brushes or something ridiculous (huge terrain experiment). It got so bad it actually caused my game to fail to render the UI properly, causing all-black UI with screwed up text and interesting effects like all textures in the map becoming a mixture of hall-of-mirrors and would copy the current screen frame to it's texture coordinates... looked very, very odd. 

It's some sort of memory issue. Your lightmap is too big.

Try func_Groups with higher lightmapscales, like 2 or 4 or even 8, especially if they have a lot of patches.

And yes, func_group are not saved into the BSP so if you decompile my map you will not see them. I believe the source files for it are somewhere though if you look through my threads. 

Ok using func_groups is way to go :) I will try that whan i will come back to Warsaw.

Hmm but memory issues can be fix right? Or thee is no way to fix this at all? (only making maps with lightmapscale and func_gruops in the good way)

Asgarath83 likes this