Func_group ... a little mistake

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

So i made an sand terrain in the simple way. Then i thought that it will be good idea to make it as the func_group. So i changed it I gave it diffrent ambient etc. But later when i was making some changes next to this terrain i came to the idea to make a hole in this terrain. So i made a little changes BUT i wanted to create some new brushes (triangles btw) to make what i wanted. I just copied the triangle (one from the func_group that i made before... and i forgot about it) of the sand terrain and i done it a lot. The problem now is that i have a lt of func_groups... So here is my questions;

1.Can i just select them all and create a one func_group? Or i must make them from scratch?
2. Is there any way to change the enity (func_group,func_door,func_roating) back to the worldspawn?
3.Do a lot of func_groups affect on the map in the negative way?
4.And finnaly ... The func_group should be used for the bigger rooms or for the smaller brushes etc?

You can select everything and make it a single func_group, but make sure you track down and eliminate the "old" func_groups (they're generally at 0,0,0, and since they no longer have a brush they're based on you can only select them through the Entity List).

Langerd likes this
  • Solution

but make sure you track down and eliminate the "old" func_groups (they're generally at 0,0,0, and since they no longer have a brush they're based on you can only select them through the Entity List).

What? I've never experienced empty func_groups...

You can turn any brush entity back into worldspawn, it's called "Ungroup Entity" in the rightclick menu.

func_group is treated just like normal brushes after compilation, so use as many as you like.

The func_group should be used for anything you want to group; it's mostly there to let you select them all at once using alt+shift+left click.

Langerd likes this

You can select everything and make it a single func_group, but make sure you track down and eliminate the "old" func_groups (they're generally at 0,0,0, and since they no longer have a brush they're based on you can only select them through the Entity List).

You can turn any brush entity back into worldspawn, it's called "Ungroup Entity" in the rightclick menu.

func_group is treated just like normal brushes after compilation, so use as many as you like.

The func_group should be used for anything you want to group; it's mostly there to let you select them all at once using alt+shift+left click.

Many thanks!

Empty brush-based entities appear when a new brush-based entity is created from a pre-existing one. You can check that out making for example a func_door, then reassign a func_door to the brush: the new door now is based on that brush, but the old one still exist, and since it's been replaced and has no more brush it will stand as an empty entity at 0,0,0 - and though I'm not sure it may cause troubles getting in-game.

Asgarath83 likes this

Empty brush-based entities appear when a new brush-based entity is created from a pre-existing one. You can check that out making for example a func_door, then reassign a func_door to the brush: the new door now is based on that brush, but the old one still exist, and since it's been replaced and has no more brush it will stand as an empty entity at 0,0,0 - and though I'm not sure it may cause troubles getting in-game.

Ramikad is right, without deleting this issue, map crashes ever when you load spawning a messalige like "entity 2233 without brushes" or something like that.

func entities and triggers need to be applied to brushes for works :)

Langerd likes this