How make Leaves trans on JKA

Go to solution Solved by Ramikad,

Really madness, now the background of bamboo are green and the elm leaves continue to stay black. okay i am surrounding for moment, sure it's something of strange about my engine or q3map2, in md3view i see the models with the new tga image black background, on radinat, bamboo are with green background and elm leaves with black background, on game, it not change, is like radiant. >.<

thanks for all however. : \

But what format of these leaves? And for Your information the bamboo leaves worked without adding the shader into the shaderlist (as i made the screenshots)

Just use the same shader as i added everywhere.

And one question - Are You working right now with MP or SP only? Because the Multiplayer doesnt read files from folders - only rar.

The leaves in gtkradiant will be not transparent but in the game they should be

@afterLangerd

Understand, maybe there is a misunderstanding or i make something of wrong with the procedure i tried to follow up this morning.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/u039ad because this tga working perfect with sequoia.md3 leaves, i copy and paste the file into the folder. (just for avoid that i miss somethuing saving with PSP9)

after i open with paint shop pro 9 and i see the leaves and a black background, i selected a portion of background, i use the raster deform tool for cover all image with "black" and after i copy paste the images of bamboo_branch and elmleave01 in this "black" pasting as transparent selection, after that, i saved the edited TGA and i renamed with the name of bamboo_branchb and elmleave01, and i remove the png image (i have simply rinamed with an "x" in the name for back up it and not get troubles with tga for avoid overwrinting problems)

but in the game that still again black. :(

Check if You dont have a two files with the same name in the folder. Sometimes i make a UV layout with blender and forget to rename it because the game doesnt load the texture but this layout because it has the same name.
Hmm TGA shouldnt be black i think in the game (of bugged ofcourse) it should be white.

Check if You dont have a two files with the same name in the folder. Sometimes i make a UV layout with blender and forget to rename it because the game doesnt load the texture but this layout because it has the same name.

Hmm TGA shouldnt be black i think in the game (of bugged ofcourse) it should be white.

The Uvlayout name can solve a strange and foolish madness i got with a book of nar shaddaa: also when i replaced texture and md3 , the book contain the same origianl texture of nar shadda jka instead of texture of ancient book. >.< i resolve using your md3 book.

maybe it's also an MD3 problem,. i re-export the md3 >.<

i not have double file with different format, it's the first thing i try to avoid. ;) 

yes, is strange that TGA with "black" background of these plants are reads however.

these plants come to castlevania map, however. the elm, instead, is maked by a my friend on blender, and is HD for that motivation.

the bamboo plants for me are tests plants, what i really need it's that the leaves of elm work >.<

ok now i explain the problem for entire:

i have found some plants models into a castlevania map and they should be useful for my hobby and make a garden of a my map.

all plants works fine. the problems are the leaves of bamboo_pot.md3, bamboo_tall.md3 bamboo_tall2.md3 bamboo.md3 and of my elm model builded with the help of a friend. the leaves still black, or white, but never transe. @@Langerd i used your shader, it's like the engine not read, i make various variety of textures, and filter, with jpg, png, tga.

For make more test i imported \ exported on blender two variety of each model, so there is bamboo and bamboo2, bamboo_pot and bamboo_pot2 etc. the number 1 MD3 series use the bamboo_branch and are original of castlevania, the MD3 i exported is the second series and i change md3shader models/map_objects/plants/bamboo_branchb as path of texture of the custm MD3.

i send also the zip of all plants folder with all textures. they works all fine except the shader of elmleave01 and the shader of bamboo_branch and bamboo_branchb. the plants.SHADER is in shaderlist on the map buidiing. and i really not know whay this happened. it's like not read the shader of this textures... >_>

https://www.sendspace.com/file/hx0z3k <- my shader file

https://www.sendspace.com/file/rppru2

<- my plants folder with all md3 , max versions of models , and textures. (sure there is something of wrong that i cannot find, but i have not photoshop, i have just paint shop pro 9 and i not know how really make a png or a tga workable with TGA using this progra, >.<

What i need: simply that trans work for leaves of elm.md3 models and of bambooes models. thanks. : \
Screenshots:

bamboo with jpg leaves

https://www.sendspace.com/file/j5yfs1

bamboo with tga leaves

https://www.sendspace.com/file/o595rk

bamboo with png leaves

https://www.sendspace.com/file/q8z03m

Sorry for links, but site of hosting image not work fine >.<

• Solution

I changed absolutely nothing with the textures, I used the ones you packed a few posts earlier. As for the shader, I simply copied the shader code from the base tree branches:

models/map_objects/plants/elmleave01
{
    q3map_nolightmap
    q3map_alphashadow
    q3map_onlyvertexlighting
    q3map_vertexScale 0.0125
    cull    twosided
    {
    clampmap models/map_objects/plants/elmleave01
    alphaFunc GE128
    tcMod turb 1 0.01 1.0 1.0
    rgbGen vertex
//    rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
}

Feel free to ignore the rgbGen lightingDiffuse, it's a fix from another experiment with misc_model_static foliage.

Langerd likes this

Check the console. Maybe You have something not right with full shader file (for example a ,,{" in wrong place or something like this) .

If You have a two shader files with the same name it can create the errors too. Maybe You have one shader file in rar. the other one in the base/shader folder.

The leaves on the screens are all the same image format? If yes ... this would be strange (one are black the others green O_o ) If not make sure You are using the same shader as the Ramikad posted above and the same image format but ONLY one image with the name for your model (check the folder and the rar file if You have one).

The PNG is not bad for transparent but personaly i prefer TGA. In my opinion JPG is not way to go here completely so focus on the two previous formats only.

I am on the way of solution.

I have cleaned up my Mod main folder by moving some PK3 i put for try and test some maps.

I remove all my shaders except plants.SHADER, now the elm's leaves work, the unique plant that got some troubles are the bamboos, but i think is a texture problem, now i watch more carefully the bamboo textures and i make like the elmleaves. @@Ramikad, you are right: it's a shader conflict. i need to check better my shaders folder.

Thanks also to @@Langerd your shader is better of the shader i use about flags and banners, will be really useful!

@@Cerez, thanks for tutorial, almost i see the basic knowledge about alpha channels. :)

Langerd likes this

I am on the way of solution.

I have cleaned up my Mod main folder by moving some PK3 i put for try and test some maps.

I remove all my shaders except plants.SHADER, now the elm's leaves work, the unique plant that got some troubles are the bamboos, but i think is a texture problem, now i watch more carefully the bamboo textures and i make like the elmleaves. @@Ramikad, you are right: it's a shader conflict. i need to check better my shaders folder.

Thanks also to @@Langerd your shader is better of the shader i use about flags and banners, will be really useful!

@@Cerez, thanks for tutorial, almost i see the basic knowledge about alpha channels. :)

Glad that I could help! Hope You will remove all problems ;)

P.S. I know how working with shaders is annoying ... yesterday when i compiled my map i saw that the whole map is dark , some textures were full white and everything was bugged completely. I was pissed and i was compiling the map for 4th time and still ... everything was wrong. So i thought there is a bug with the map. itself. I deleted the ,,sarlacc_duel" map and took ,,sarlacc_duel28" copied it and removed 28 to overwrite the bugged one. When compiling was going i opened shader file by mistake and so that i didnt hit enter in one place...

models/map_objects/sarlacc/lampy1

{

qer_editorimage    models/map_objects/sarlacc/lampy1

{

map $lightmap

}

{

map models/map_objects/sarlacc/lampy1

blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO

}

{

map models/map_objects/sarlacc/lampy1

blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE

glow

rgbGen identity

}

}

models/map_objects/sarlacc/lamp_wall

{

qer_editorimage    models/map_objects/sarlacc/lamp_wall

{

map $lightmap

}

{

map models/map_objects/sarlacc/lamp_wall

}

{

map models/map_objects/sarlacc/lamp_wall_glow

blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE

glow

rgbGen identity

}

}

textures/sarlacc/sand_normal              <------ this place killed whole map and the game...

{

qer_editorimage    textures/sarlacc/sandy

q3map_material    Sand

{

map $lightmap

rgbGen identity

}

{

map textures/sarlacc/sandy

rgbGen identity

}

}

Now everything is working :) So! Every time checxk the shader file because one little mistake can destroy Your whole game!

Yes, @@Langerd at the end i discover the trouble just some few hours ago. it was a damned shader conflict. Too many PK3 in my mod folder and TOOOOO many shader file. XD after i make a little clean all working perfect!!! :D Also, i did my first transparent texture, using ramikad shader + a png file with transparency it works. not work for TGA because save with a unique level and union of color, lol :) i think png is the best format for make trans textures. :) also jpg is fine, but if black is not pure black not work.

;)

Langerd likes this