OpenJK Launcher?

Xycaleth

I wouldn't mind the launcher being written in something like Python, but if you write it in C# it won't be cross compatible.  But Qt kind of makes C++ a lot higher level...plus I already have a lot of source code done for most of this if you want me to share/participate in it.

The separate user profiles could simply be used as separate 'mod' profiles even if we find the user profiles aren't all that useful/common.

Torrenting isn't something I've ever tried programming before, but it would probably solve the bandwidth issue for mods if I knew how to do it.

Not necessarily. C# is also used by Mono, which is Unix compatible. There's other options, like Java (eww). You can also use GTK, which is what GtkRadiant is based on.

In addition to peer-to-peer, there is a third option of having a MinGW compiler embedded into the launcher (gcc ought to work fine for Linux) and simply having the launcher check the hash stored on your machine against the current hash of a branch (probably "release"?) One major advantage of this is that you can make the launcher open source, and then have developers of OpenJK forks develop launchers for their own purposes. Also, this cuts the bandwidth down to near-nothing and puts most of the heavy lifting on Github's shoulders. The downside is that Windows compiles won't function quite the same as those in Visual Studio (MinGW is gcc-based, Visual Stufio does something else entirely)

In addition to peer-to-peer, there is a third option of having a MinGW compiler embedded into the launcher (gcc ought to work fine for Linux) and simply having the launcher check the hash stored on your machine against the current hash of a branch (probably "release"?) One major advantage of this is that you can make the launcher open source, and then have developers of OpenJK forks develop launchers for their own purposes. Also, this cuts the bandwidth down to near-nothing and puts most of the heavy lifting on Github's shoulders. The downside is that Windows compiles won't function quite the same as those in Visual Studio (MinGW is gcc-based, Visual Stufio does something else entirely)

I don't even understand how a compiler fits into the context of a launcher...

GitHub supports 'releases', which we can automatically upload using buildbot. All the launcher has to do is check a URL and see if the current version of OpenJK is the newest release. If it's not, then there's a newer version and we can download the new release.

For the same reason OpenJK doesn't "improve" JK's gameplay among other things. You're sticking to the roots, aren't you? Like I said, an HD version based on the already existing JK launchers. No problem with alterations (JK2 and JKA's launchers aren't identical neither), but it shouldn't be too different.

You might as well argue that JKHub is too modern looking and should use a jka/jk2 skin instead of this fancy IP.Board stuff.  I think people would prefer something modern looking as long as it stays within the 'star wars' style realm.  Regardless that's just an art style and has little to do with programming the launcher itself and that can be decided later.

Not necessarily. C# is also used by Mono, which is Unix compatible. There's other options, like Java (eww). You can also use GTK, which is what GtkRadiant is based on.

Yeah, I haven't kept up with C#'s changes lately, but Xycaleth let me know earlier.

Are you suggesting that the launcher recompile the github source every time you get an update?  ...I don't think I really like that idea.  Especially with what Didz brought up about Github 'releases'.

JKG Developer

You might as well argue that JKHub is too modern looking and should use a jka/jk2 skin instead of this fancy IP.Board stuff.

That doesn't make sense. JKHub isn't OpenJK. I don't see OpenJK "modernizing" the game menu screen, neither. If OpenJK is a fixed-and-better-yet-the-same JK and the same doesn't apply to the launcher, then I don't want the launcher.

The launcher should resemble JK's by default, otherwise I am to question the artists' decisions. Icon differs between JK games, so it can differ for OpenJK. Launcher differs between JK games but still maintains a similar layout to an extent (size and buttons), so the same should be with OpenJK launcher.

I think design (as in, the layout of all of the buttons, text, etc) should follow functionality. It's clear that we want to provide more functionality for the launcher than JKA's so the design should also change to allow for the added functionality. I do think though that the artistic style of the launcher should be similar to JKA's.

That doesn't make sense. JKHub isn't OpenJK. I don't see OpenJK "modernizing" the game menu screen, neither. If OpenJK is a fixed-and-better-yet-the-same JK and the same doesn't apply to the launcher, then I don't want the launcher.

JKHub in general tries to stick to the same principle, hence the background.  If you'd prefer I could have compared it to this page http://builds.openjk.org or this page https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK In any case, I don't think it'll matter much since it'll very likely be 'skinnable'.

JKG Developer

Launcher could just be plain black background with light cyan buttons, with assets that can be easily modified to any artists content. You'll only see the launcher for a few seconds when starting up, so i don't see much need for it to be all fancy

JKHub in general tries to stick to the same principle, hence the background.  If you'd prefer I could have compared it to this page http://builds.openjk.org or this page https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK In any case, I don't think it'll matter much since it'll very likely be 'skinnable'.

Why are you comparing a website to a game?

@@hleV why are you so attached to the CD Launcher?  The purpose of the OpenJK launcher would be greatly different from the CD Launcher.

I don't give a fuck about JK launcher, I never even use it. It's the fact that OpenJK is sticking to the roots of JK yet OpenJK launcher somehow doesn't (going by what certain people say). JK launcher is part of the game files. It has a design. Base your thing on it.

I don't get how or why it needs to be the same.  It frankly was a pile of shit to begin with.  Also those assets cannot be ripped legally and reused in another project.

The launcher was never required to launch JKA, nor was it included in the source release.

What consistency, you yourself said you don't use it.  Its not used with Steam versions.

Such hostility.  It does not in any way relate to the overall consistency with the project goal.

Also, the menu IS part of the actual game so your comparison is kind of wrong.

As a regular user of JKA for 10 years, I would avoid the launcher if it were the same as the JK one at present due to the fact I don't need it. However I would use it if it had more uses e.g. autoupdater, mod selector etc 

I think hleV is just confused because it's been said that you guys are improving rather than replacing. From what I can gather, he simply wants the design to stay intact which I'm sure is more than doable, but it is quite limiting and I'd rather have something that looks great but that makes use of its new functionality. Some things just need replacing :P 

I guess I will make a JKA launcher reskin with the SkyLine assets, and I think they'll fit for OpenJK launcher too.

Doing this right now.

Finally dealt with the freaking TGAs, now - how can I change the damn colors in this old thingie? HEXing the main exe?

OpenJK doesn't ship with its own main menu or any changed UI stuff, it just loads the assets from your retail version of the game. So the reason why OpenJK "keeps" the old one, is simply cause it just loads whatever assets you give it, which in most cases is the retail JKA assets.

The new launcher needs to support loading SP and MP, and JKA vs JK2. I've never even played JK2, but it's still disheartening when everyone thinks of OpenJK as only supporting Jedi Academy.

The art style of the new launcher should be true to its JK roots (in my opinion), but the layout can be completely fresh. There really aren't many ways to improve on a window with a few buttons on it though.

I think the idea of embedding a compiler or P2P file sharing into the launcher is really excessive. Just HTTP GET yo!

Guys, this shit is killing me.

I need to fix it!

KHXR6aw.png

UPD: hex didn't help btw :/

I think something like this would look lovely, just needs some different buttons (eg: a check for updates button).  What's wrong with it that you don't like?  (I'm not so sure about the text in the top left, but everything else looks great).

Why are you comparing a website to a game?

Because it would be/is part of OpenJK and that was your whole argument about consistency.  I find it kind of funny because you and I are arguing about this, when we both ended up liking the same 'modernized' design.

JKG Developer

Because it would be/is part of OpenJK and that was your whole argument about consistency.

... You're just being silly. OpenJK improves the game. JK launcher is used for installing/launching the game, so it is very related. Why would OpenJK launcher be something entirely different? And where does a website come in to this?

eezstreet likes this