Game Of Thrones: Castel Black

Game Of Thrones is so popular that I'm guessing there are a few fans among us who would be interested in a GOT duel map.
For those who don't know what GOT is about, in short: it's a medieval fantasy drama with very unpredictable plot twists. It's not for children.

Castel Black is one of many locations in the series and it is the headquarters of the Night's Watch. Im concentrating on the courtyard where they train.
A larger map featuring the whole area of Castel Black with interior and the top of the wall is not yet planned because I don't want to be too ambitious.
I work slow and there is a possibility that I might just give up at some point and release my work as a prefab, but atleast I'm going to give it a try!

I will use screenshots from the series and google images to get a better idea of how the area is built, then roughly make all the elements there,
buildings, stairways, the elevator etc.  and then... I will start to better shape it all and get it scaled right. Scaling is going to be hard because
the images I mentioned are not 3D, ofcourse, so I will have to compare the actors to the setting, and even guess certain measures.

Untitled3.png

Read more about the series here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

These textures are just helping me better imagine the final product, so don't be spooked by them :lol:I just wanted to show some progress.
Im finally starting to get a realistic view of the scales, first I made some parts way to big. I mean I have to save a staircase and check it ingame twice to get it right.

Its painful. But it's worth it. Like she said :shifty:

I was thinking about adding more detail to the final textures, instead of using many brushes, since a duel map needs good FPS.

preview3.png

eezstreet and Boothand like this

EDIT

I though about using the Medieval Map Objects pack made by @Inyri.  To add more detail in the map, would you be ok with it Inyri?

I would reskin them to match the rest of the map, and if anyone is willing:  I need a grinding stone or atleast that would look nice in this map.
Im in no rush with this map, could try to make it on my own but im such a noob with 3dmax. 

Grinding_Stone.jpg

Edited by zeƒilus

@@Boothand

2 options :

a. sketchfab is acting up on me

b. the textures are blurry as fuck and quite low res O.o

if it's the latter get a neat high res wood texture and a sharper stone texture for the stone, it should have a really rough surface

try these for the wood  :

http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=36869&PHPSESSID=j2h23k0udd9atu526b480ctc13

http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=39500&PHPSESSID=j2h23k0udd9atu526b480ctc13

I'll keep looking for something fit for that stone

Boothand likes this

(Sketchfab updated)

You're right, it becomes kind of low-res. Part of the reason is the UV map, but the biggest reason is probably some issues with Zbrush and weird looking artifacts, or what to call them.

I don't personally want to use any non-JKHub assets (preferrably only my own), but if anyone feels ambitious, they could re-texture the model as they like. But I've spent about as much time as I want to on this model, and will rather focus on approaching texturing a bit differently on future models. :)

Here's how the texture map looks:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58757568/grindstone_final2.jpg

Nice :) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58757568/grindstone_final.obj

I should see what I can do with Ddo and Ndo. It seems pretty good!

Yeah, it's not the policy, it's rather my obsession with in-sourcing everything. Also building skills and getting experience is important for me as an actual game-student. I could have used one of my own photo-planks but attempted to do it all by (boot)hand.

Guest KENNITHH

Looks awesome AshuraDX, zefilus and boothand !

A tip zefilus, I think the Game of  Thrones game had Castle Black in it, it could be usefull to roam around in the map, seeing hows its done and the details,  maybe even be naughty and rip some things out of it and remake it

Normal mapping off :

cnpUj3q.png

Normal mapping on :

qTsULeU.png

@@Boothand let me explain my process, I've linked images to illustrate the process ;) :

After redoing the UVs, I took one of the wood textures I've linked here yesterday and a random stone texture I had on my hard drive and layed those out in Substance Designer, in Substance I tiled, scaled and rotated the textures until I achieved the look I was going for and then masked textures to the appropiate UV chunks and added a few nails. This map would later become my premade diffuse map for dDo

I then used "bitmap2material light"(the full app is like Crazy Bump, but on Steroids) inside of Substance to create a normal map & specular map from those textures which I later overlayed ontop of my baked normal map from 3ds max

I used the generated premade spec map and the combined normal map later in dDo

using the generated normal map I let Substance create a curvature map, then used a levels adjustments to isolate the (black) cavitys in the wood. I did this to create a neat overlay for my baked Ambient Occlusion map from max

After blurring the baked normal map and multiplieing my overlay on top I ended up with this AO map for dDo

Using the material masks I created earlier, and some Photoshop work I created this material map for dDo (Beige=Wood, brown=Stone, brown/redish-grey=iron)

by then I had everything I needed to get started in dDo. I won't explainwhat I did in dDo so here are the finished textures, notice that I scrapped the stone texture I used and replaced it with a texture generated by dDo

here's the end Product :

Diffuse Specular Normal Gloss

then I took those back into substance to add snow, using various tools and quite a bit of painting in Substance to get a decent snow mask, here is the snowy version :

Diffuse Specular Normal Gloss

Any comments/wishes @zeƒilus ? I can easily tweak the snow and everything you want to have tweaked

Boothand likes this