Need help on completing frankensteining model

Hi there.

I've tried to frankenstein one of Spankis Jedi heads onto Bradys Mercenary Kyle for personal use, so now it looks like this in Blender:

28ml8na.jpg

I've tried exporting the .glm, and making a .pk3 and so on, but when I try to use it in-game the character just floats with his arms and legs spread.

I've only copied the face onto the Mercenary Kyle model. I tried to parent the head onto the torso, but I'm not sure I did it right. If anyone knows how to make the model work, I would be really grateful!

If you're using my plugins, read the manual. It describes what it has to look like to properly export, and what settings to use when exporting.

I do belive I am using your plugin. I'm having trouble finding the manual right now, but I might be looking in the wrong folder. The problem I have though is not about exporting the model, it's about how it's acting in-game, but that might be what you're referring to, that I have incorrectly exported the model?

EDIT: I found your manual, and tried to do what it said, but now I can't seem to export the .glm

Would it help to upload my .blend file?

It's just that the bloody forum software here sometimes doesn't notify me of new replies. The only alternative would be to get a mail for every single new post, but why the hell would I want that? I want one mail until I visit the thread again, but apparently the coders didn't know the difference between a thread and a forum. Blargh.

Please upload the file somewhere I don't have to install some stupid application to download it, say Mega.

It's just that the bloody forum software here sometimes doesn't notify me of new replies. The only alternative would be to get a mail for every single new post, but why the hell would I want that? I want one mail until I visit the thread again, but apparently the coders didn't know the difference between a thread and a forum. Blargh.

Please upload the file somewhere I don't have to install some stupid application to download it, say Mega.

Ah okay, no problem, not your fault, I'm just grateful that you are trying to help :)

And like Boothand said, if you click the file on the top, it just goes directly to download, but if you are still experiencing problems, just say the word, and I'll upload it to Mega :)

@@mrwonko

You mean like this?

XwJsRN.png

No, I want immediate notification, but only once per thread visit. With daily digests I'd get a mail every day there's an answer, even if I haven't read any yet, and probably only once the day is over and not immediately after the first one.

And like Boothand said, if you click the file on the top, it just goes directly to download, but if you are still experiencing problems, just say the word, and I'll upload it to Mega :)

Nah I managed to download it all right.

You managed to put the skeleton below the head of LOD1 in the hierarchy, but that's not a problem, the exporter just looks for the name "skeleton_root", wherever it may be. Talking about LODs, doesn't look like you properly understood those, at least I don't think you meant for your model to only consist of legs.

Did you export as MD3 at first and then convert using MD3View? Yeah, that would hide the lod-problems and destroy your animations.

So when I first tried to export a GLM I got an Error "skeleton_root does not match specified gla" because I tried to export into Jedi Academy's base/models/... folder when it uses the JK2 skeleton. Would have been nice if you had specified that you're working on a JK2 model, but I figured it out. So I exported it into the JK2's base/models/... instead and that worked just fine, as far as animations go.

Anyway, I can't help you in any more detail until you become a little more specific with your problems than

I can't seem to export the .glm

No, I want immediate notification, but only once per thread visit. With daily digests I'd get a mail every day there's an answer, even if I haven't read any yet, and probably only once the day is over and not immediately after the first one.

Nah I managed to download it all right.

You managed to put the skeleton below the head of LOD1 in the hierarchy, but that's not a problem, the exporter just looks for the name "skeleton_root", wherever it may be. Talking about LODs, doesn't look like you properly understood those, at least I don't think you meant for your model to only consist of legs.

Did you export as MD3 at first and then convert using MD3View? Yeah, that would hide the lod-problems and destroy your animations.

So when I first tried to export a GLM I got an Error "skeleton_root does not match specified gla" because I tried to export into Jedi Academy's base/models/... folder when it uses the JK2 skeleton. Would have been nice if you had specified that you're working on a JK2 model, but I figured it out. So I exported it into the JK2's base/models/... instead and that worked just fine, as far as animations go.

Anyway, I can't help you in any more detail until you become a little more specific with your problems than

Okay, like I said, I'm new to the whole modelling thing, this is my second attempt at using Blender, so I'm probably a bit in over my head.

My process with this model was that I first imported the .glm of one of Spankis jedi models (JK3), selected the head and hair, and just did a copy of that. Next I imported the .glm of Bradys Mercenary Kyle (JK2), deleted the head from that model, and pasted the jedi head. After a resizing and moving the head around, I finally got it to match the body, so that it looked natural (like the picture in my first post). Once I got that done, I exported the model as a .glm, and tried to place it in a .pk3 in order to see if the model worked, which it unfortunately didn't (problem mentioned in first post)

I haven't done anything else such as moving the skeleton, or exporting as MD3, the only thing I've done, is copying the head and placing it on top of the model. Like I said, I had hoped that frankensteining, would be somewhat that "easy". So as much as I'd like to give you more detail on this matter, unfortunately I can't, since I haven't done anything else than copying and pasted the head onto another model.

But I want to thank you very much for taking the time to try and help me :)

Yeah there's a bit of a lack of resources on how this all works... Maybe I should record a tutorial video explaining it in some detail, but I wonder how many people would still benefit from this, I don't think there are that many people looking to get into making Jedi Knight player models anymore.

Yeah there's a bit of a lack of resources on how this all works... Maybe I should record a tutorial video explaining it in some detail, but I wonder how many people would still benefit from this, I don't think there are that many people looking to get into making Jedi Knight player models anymore.

That might be true. But in order for me to use this model, I then need to understand most of the things there is to using Blender? There is no easy and fast way for a newbie to Blender like me? Just so I can move on, and start my JK3 game, instead of waiting, and hoping to be able to use this model :b

If you look at the requests forum, you'll see that a lot of people would benefit from it. Myself included, I suppose. I never was interested enough to take the time to learn how to model or even to frankenstein.

Perhaps you and @@Mandalorian could make a tutorial together somehow, since I know he figured it out and has made some really good models with Blender.

• 3 weeks later...

@@mrwonko, I don't want to be a larger pain in the ***, than I have already been, but do you think that you perhaps would be able to help me frankenstein this other model, from my topic in Model Requests:http://jkhub.org/topic/4424-model-request-general-kenobiskywalker-clone-wars/

I gave up on this model, since it sounded like it was too big a problem that the Mercenary Kyle model was from JK2, and the other one JK3.

I would really appreciate it, if you can assist me in any way.