Head/Face Animations

Go to solution Solved by Asgarath83,

I thought one of the primary objectives of OpenJK was to fix bugs/mistakes made by the original Raven development team. I would consider these non-scriptable facial animations a big mistake that takes a lot away from the gameplay experience. I may be wrong, but I really don't see why this wouldn't be in the scope of OpenJK. The goal is to improve on the original product, is it not?

The purpose of this project is to maintain and improve the Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast games, developed by Raven Software. This project does not attempt to rebalance or otherwise modify core gameplay.

Major enhancement changes are very low priority at this time unless patches are made available and which do not alter the core functionality of gameplay or the stock renderer itself.

Its up to you guys (ie the rest of the community) to make a mod or provide the necessary changes in a patch so long as it doesn't require changing of assets (if to be included in OpenJK).

Its up to you guys (ie the rest of the community) to make a mod or provide the necessary changes in a patch so long as it doesn't require changing of assets (if to be included in OpenJK).

Thanks for clarifying that, Ensiform. The modification mentioned here does not require assets other than the default ones included with the retail version of the game. I would be happy to submit this patch so long as someone can guide me through the application process (or submit it for me) because I am quite helpless when it comes to figuring out how GIT works… >.<'

I can provide detailed notes and instructions on the changes if you're interested. All the new code does is effectively add a few new scriptable Icarus commands for playing existing animation (previously inaccessible to scripting) to provide a means to create a few new facial expressions for the characters in the game. It is fully compatible with the core -- it doesn't alter anything from the original game -- and only serves to improve the development and play experience.

I personally feel this is something I had sorely missed in the original release of the game, and I find it immensely useful for new in-game cinematography (cutscenes).

Archangel35757 and Asgarath83 like this

@ I'm kind of working on something like that that is based on the Gweth model.

I would recommend adding cases for the six (6) major facial expressions:

Anger

Fear

Joy

Sadness

Surprise

Disgust

...as well as add a weighting parameter to be percentage amount for the expression (e.g. 50% anger, 100% anger, etc.).

So the last frame of the facial expression would equate to 100%... just an idea.

Cerez likes this

I would recommend adding cases for the six (6) major facial expressions:

Anger

Fear

Joy

Sadness

Surprise

Disgust

...as well as add a weighting parameter to be percentage amount for the expression (e.g. 50% anger, 100% anger, etc.).

So the last frame of the facial expression would equate to 100%... just an idea.

Great idea, but that's kind of what you guys are working on with the advanced facial expressions system. My solution is just a simple expansion of the original game code with a few lines that fixes something the Raven team missed.

It is a transitional/fallback solution until we develop something more advanced.

Almost all base facial expressions are covered: anger, joy, shock/surprise, and disgust/disapprovement. There is no animation for fear created by Raven, and no animations for sadness either, but the latter can be emulated with the character looking solemn and looking down.

That's pretty much how source engine does it, only with vertex animation.

Yep, that's what I've used here, too. I've only expanded on the amount of expressions available. But the source engine doesn't really support levels/percentages in an expression, does it? I couldn't find anything that would indicate this.

Great idea, but that's kind of what you guys are working on with the advanced facial expressions system. My solution is just a simple expansion of the original game code with a few lines that fixes something the Raven team missed.It is a transitional/fallback solution until we develop something more advanced.Almost all base facial expressions are covered: anger, joy, shock/surprise, and disgust/disapprovement. There is no animation for fear created by Raven, and no animations for sadness either, but the latter can be emulated with the character looking solemn and looking down.

No. @@eezstreet's facial animation system will not alter the original game facial animation system...-is... or wirh whatever edits you make). His plan was to add new code that handles bone-based facial animation in a new lip_sync.gla file (character's head/face, etc. are weighted to all-new bones) that is then superimposed onto the _humanoid.gla

No. @@eezstreet's facial animation system will not alter the original game facial animation system...-is... or wirh whatever edits you make). His plan was to add new code that handles bone-based facial animation in a new lip_sync.gla file (character's head/face, etc. are weighted to all-new bones) that is then superimposed onto the _humanoid.gla

Sorry, what I meant is that the effect is what you described: that you're able to set different levels of expression for a character. This code doesn't modify the original game, either -- it just adds a few extra facial expression options into the code from the original assets.

I think the original code is very basic with the vertex animation options, and only has programming to switch between different, basic facial animation frames. To do different levels, you would have to change the original programming. But you guys are working on something better, so I'll leave my solution in tune with the base programming (vanilla code).

Hopefully that explains my reasoning.

I have not so many skill of coding for make valid suggest here... But i want to tell something regard emotional animation:

The unique animation that exprime Fear is BOTH_COWER1, for my mod i edited animation.CFG of humanoid files with value of BOTH_COWER1 on the BOTH_SURRENDER animation, so the enemy disarmed... get panic by the attacker :)  (but the Jawa fear pose it's really hilarous XD )

Cerez likes this