Error: Max Patch Planes

So in my 2000+ Hours of Jka, spent mostly on MBII and JAplus, I encountered this error a very few times, It happens when loading a map, certain maps. I have not been able to find a way around it or to fix it. And pretty much anyone I ask has NO idea what it is. Any information on it and work arounds would be epic, Thanks in advance!

Hi, does this happen on a specific map? If it happens on the base maps such as mp/ffa3 etc you might consider reinstalling the game. Does it work for other people? What OS are you using?

You might try deleting that map and redownloading it if the issue is major.

This error usually occurs when a map brush is getting split too many times during compilation for the game to effectively handle. For some in-depth information, you might look at this thread.

Off the top of my head, I get the error on mb2's Tatooine map, x-sithtemple_by_vic, and a few others that i need to look up again. Its very rare that I get it. And I have tried fresh installs of the maps, and even done a fresh install of jka in the past, and it hasent worked. Im running Windows 7(x86), with ATI cards, so i use the gld file found here http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206018. The only real possible problem I can think of would be that, but I dont think that would cause it, maybe I dont really know.

Edit: It isnt for maps that I have made, I just get the error when trying to join a server with said maps running.

• 1 month later...

Did you ever figure out a resolution for this? I have the same thing on x-sithtemple_by_vic and I've tried the things at that link. I'm running ATI cards as well and tried using that gld file and it didn't work

This error usually occurs when a map brush is getting split too many times during compilation for the game to effectively handle. For some in-depth information, you might look at this thread.

Ah Tremulous, I miss thee.

What I discovered:

MAX_MAPFILE_PLANES (Max Mapfile Planes)

A : Associated with AAS files for BOTs or AI. Usually caused by using large numbers of models (with q3map_clipModel in a shader) or large numbers of patch meshes in a map.

For models - removing q3map_clipModel from shader and manually clipping with weaponsclip (or some other clip brush) seems to fix this.

For patchmesh - depending on the number of models in a map, converting patch mesh work to ase models sometimes helps (leave clipModel out of shader) to remove the error.

But for AAS problems ydnar has noted that "BSPC needs to be updated with larger allowable values for planes, brush sides, etc." This effects any quake3 engined games using BOTs or AI.

Source: 

Nuhallis, does it ever happen with base jka maps?

JKG Developer

@ aramil248

Sounds like its sheer luck that it works in base.  The limit was not decreased in OpenJK nor was any of the code surrounding it altered.  Are you by any chance using the x86_64 bit version or the 32 bit?

If you are using a new enough build it should give more specific details of which function. (CM_FindPlane2 vs CM_FindPlane)

As for OP, I assume you are using jamp on windows?

@ aramil248

Sounds like its sheer luck that it works in base. The limit was not decreased in OpenJK nor was any of the code surrounding it altered. Are you by any chance using the x86_64 bit version or the 32 bit?

If you are using a new enough build it should give more specific details of which function. (CM_FindPlane2 vs CM_FindPlane)

As for OP, I assume you are using jamp on windows?

im using 32bit that i compiled for linux