Skyrim to GTKRadiant

Go to solution Solved by Apprentice,

Heya Maui again,

Does anyone has an idea how to export Skyrim objects into GTKRadiant?

I've managed to do so but I can't get it compiled. I've read something about UV Mapped but I got no clue what it is.

Also, when I open the obj file in Blender and export it as an ase, it shows me a square when I try to open it with misc_model with the No Shader texture.

When I try to convert it to md3 it asks me for a ql file or something like that.

Any idea's?

Your misc_model with ase is fine, some versions of Radiant don't show the ASE, but it might be fine ingame. Compile and test.

UV Mapping is stored in the file. Basically you have your model and the skin/texture as two different files. The UV Map "maps" coordinates from your skin onto the model, in order to prevent stuff like stretching, tiling, or other visual defects.

The reason it's called a UV Map is because U/V (in 2D, this would be X/Y. In 3D you use x/y/z) gets mapped to positions on the model.

Just place it in a large, open area. Place the spawnpoint near it, but you might spawn inside the model.

Admittedly, it's probably better to use MD3 rather than ASE. It might be wise to check the exported MD3 in MD3View or ModView (I'm pretty sure it either opens MD3s or exports to MD3)

Now, I retried it and gave the object some textures inside blender.

I exported it as md3 and when I try to open it with misc_model, it says the following.

WARNING: could not extract the relative path, using full path instead
Model load failed: "C:/Users/Kenny/Desktop/dragonbridge.md3"
entityCreate -class misc_model

What can I do?

Don't save it to your desktop, for starters. It belongs in gamedata/base [or your mod's folder]/models/map_objects/***/.

Radiant should be able to display ASE just fine. If Radiant can't handle the model Q3Map2 probably can't, either, they use the same functionality for loading them.

Oh my god...

Now I tried to do something else with blender.. I tried to import model.glm from the imperial and then it says that there are no gla files... when I import the gla file and then the glm file it still says it.. What is wrong with that?

• Solution

Anyways, now when I import the .ase into gtk, it says that it can't find the texture.. while I assigned yavin/stone.jpg on it.

Is there a way to retexture the .ase file inside gtkradiant?

ASE files are both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it can contain complex structures in very odd angles (not too much but way more then when it was done with brushwork) and a curse because you cannot move them outside the Base/Maps folder.

This, however, can be circumvented, altough not in GTK Radiant. An ASE file is nothing more then a *.txt file, which can be edited by Notepad (or another program). I don't know about other programs but by default when Q3map2 is creating an *.ASE file, the following occurs:

*MATERIAL	1	{
		*MATERIAL_NAME	"textures/system/caulk"
		*MATERIAL_CLASS	"Standard"
		*MATERIAL_DIFFUSE	1.000000	1.000000	1.000000
		*MATERIAL_SHADING Phong
		*MAP_DIFFUSE	{
			*MAP_NAME	"textures/system/caulk"
			*MAP_CLASS	"Bitmap"
			*MAP_SUBNO	1
			*MAP_AMOUNT	1.0
			*MAP_TYPE	Screen
			*BITMAP	"..\textures\system\caulk.tga"
			*BITMAP_FILTER	Pyramidal
		}
	}

The reason why don't see any textures in Radiant is because of the *BITMAP -line. This happens is because Radiant is looking for the textures in the wrong folder. Normally Radiant will look for textures in the GameData/Base/Textures folder but now the ASE model is telling Radiant to look in the Gamedata/Textures folder, which off course does not exists (normally), which would require for the ASE model to remain in the maps folder at all times. What I always do, is to change that particular line to:

*MATERIAL	1	{
		*MATERIAL_NAME	"textures/system/caulk"
		*MATERIAL_CLASS	"Standard"
		*MATERIAL_DIFFUSE	1.000000	1.000000	1.000000
		*MATERIAL_SHADING Phong
		*MAP_DIFFUSE	{
			*MAP_NAME	"textures/system/caulk"
			*MAP_CLASS	"Bitmap"
			*MAP_SUBNO	1
			*MAP_AMOUNT	1.0
			*MAP_TYPE	Screen
			*BITMAP	"textures/system/caulk.tga"
			*BITMAP_FILTER	Pyramidal
		}
	}

This will cause Radiant to look for the textures in the correct folder and will therefor display the model with textures (as long as they are present for custom textures) plus it enables me to move the ASE model into models/<map name> folder rather then remaining in the /maps folder.

Hope this helps ;)

Signature.jpg