2D Textures

Circa

I'm in the process of recreated a few of the base textures for this mod. Both recreating and improving in different areas.

First up is the binoculars. They look awful in JK2, especially on larger screens, due to stretching those tiny textures.

@@eezstreet wanted them to be more kin to the movie as well, so I used that as a big reference. My main goal however, was to get rid of that ugly foreground texture. This is obviously a WIP. Still some work to be done.

Original:

5eph.jpg

Movie Reference:

pci8.png

Mine:

y1r8.jpg

I also will need to figure out how to use OpenJK JK2 mode to test my PNG version. JK2 doesn't support PNG format like JKA does, so I had to suffer through getting a TGA version working. So this one has a few odd looking edges that won't be there for sure already.

Mr.Zz, therfiles, Boothand and 1 other like this

Oh wow, that looks really good!

A few things that could be improved upon - the numbers/bar on the left could use a bit of touching up. It seems really sharp and bright in comparison to the other things. The black edges seem a bit too sharp, perhaps you could blur them a little bit. Also maybe you could touch up on the numbers at the bottom to display the range, so they're more movie-like? But that's a small point really and it does look good as it is now. Maybe add a small amount of faint noise to the black area so it appears to be textured?

I do really like this though. It looks very good. I especially liked how you added the aurabesh text from the movies, I thought that was a nice touch.

I'll have to see if I can make the battery bar green instead of yellow in order to match this. :)

As for OpenJK JK2 mode, you just have to enable the "Compile with JK2 support" option on CMake (I don't know if buildbot builds with this option, I don't think it does), and then run with +set com_jk2 "1" in the .bat. It'll function exactly like OpenJK does now, but it'll run JK2 SP, and use JK2 assets as well as jk2gamex86.dll instead of jagamex86.dll.

Circa likes this

Yeah, I realized afterwards that the green I used for the side stuff was a little too bright compared to the bottom. I can't really change the bottom easily because those numbers are used for other things in the game I believe. I could be wrong though.

I'll keep working on the edges. They look worse than they are with that darn TGA.

For some reason the battery changed on it's own. Not sure what happened there. The artificial glass texture isn't in mine for some reason.

I made the foreground black because of the movie version, but also I felt like it needed a less prominent feel since it's the least important part of the binoculars. I could give it a subtle black texture though. I'll mess around with it.

Wow! Great job @@Circa! It looks much crisper and is much more akin to the source material.

Maybe add some "HUD" to the binocular screen itself? See how there is a "bevel" in both JOs and in EP I's? Almost like a rounded rectangle that adds more visual interest. Could make it look a bit more interesting.

Good work!

The rounded rectangles are actually there, you just can't seem very well in that image. You can faintly see the bottom right and left corners of them. They are the same as the original texture though. My PNG version will have new ones.

therfiles likes this

Once I get that to properly test this in-game, I should have the binoculars out of the way and I'll move on to the goggles. Feel free to suggest any other elements you want me to take a stab at.

There's a few other things that I can think of, like the datapad for instance.

Circa likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

If it's a severe enough issue, I can try and get a Mac VM running and see if I can get it compiled that way. As I recall, the only difference between my code and base is that it requires some extra stuff with Angelscript, and unfortunately the library linkage is a bit messed up in the CMake script.

But at this point, I really am stretching myself quite thin.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...