Recent bug fixes

eezstreet

• 1 month later...

Added support for: 

surfaceSprites flatten ...
shader option for MP.

This was missing from MP but supported in SP (used in t2_trip).  Resulting in the sprites not appearing at all or very weirdly in MP when playing said map.

Before:

shot2014-03-03_14-49-47.png

After:

shot2014-03-03_15-01-37.png

• 1 month later...

In interest of reducing the amount of emails coming at me about my FFA3 mod, I will ask for what seems to be the 4th time.

When will OpenJK fix the following two issues with the dedicated server on LINUX.

• NPC's don't follow scripted navgoals. They glitch about in circles
  • Setting the timescale either through direct commands, or through Icarus does not work on Linux servers

I've opened reports for both of these issues on Github previously, but as I remember it was laughed off. Rudely.

Well, NPCs aren't really the focus of the main branch, but rather the CO-OP branch, and that hasn't seen any real work to it in months (it's also out-of-date). I think it needs a big push before anyone decides to invest time in it, similar to how rend2 was accomplished.

As for timescale issue, that sounds pretty severe, and I'm kinda surprised that you would be laughed off by it, as you say.

@@MoonDog: All issues mentioning "NPC" in their title have been fixed for at least 4 months.

https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/issues/453

https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/issues/395

https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/issues/449

All of these fixes are required in the mod you are using as well (as I see you're using JA++). Unless ensiform incorrectly marked #449 as a duplicate of another issue - add a comment to the issue saying that you don't think it's a duplicate and I'll look into it.

Knowing what mod (jampgame) they use is helpful.

--

@@Xycaleth probably could need sample map with scripts + source and a vid demonstration of intended windows behavior for the navgoal thing.

As for timescale... I still don't know whats even wrong with it.  Its not even an OS specific thing.  And if it is what might be happening then its worse than I thought and won't really fix it until mrwonko is done with some major rewrite stuff.

To be clear, I'm not "doing" anything. I'm just tired of getting emails about my mod not working on linux servers, referring people to OpenJK, and getting emails back that the problem is not fixed.

So, I've just realised something here. When you say these problems are happening, you meant that other people, who happen to be using your map mod, are having these problems.

The NPC issues you've described are fixed as far as I can tell in OpenJK, and would only happen in JA++ as that seems to be the only up-to-date mod in the past few years. So the NPC problem is not related to OpenJK, but to JA++. As long as they have an up to date version of JA++, then they shouldn't have any problems.

The timescale issue we're still looking at, but @@Raz0r tells me this has been a known issue in Linux dedicated servers since JK2.

@@Xycaleth probably could need sample map with scripts + source and a vid demonstration of intended windows behavior for the navgoal thing.

As for timescale... I still don't know whats even wrong with it.  Its not even an OS specific thing.  And if it is what might be happening then its worse than I thought and won't really fix it until mrwonko is done with some major rewrite stuff.

I don't know if I have time to put together a sample. There is an area in my FFA3 mod with a navgoal scripted AI. This would be inconvenient for debugging due to the size/load times.

So, I've just realised something here. When you say these problems are happening, you meant that other people, who happen to be using your map mod, are having these problems.

Correct. I don't want to stop offering support for my mods, but it's starting to get to the point where I am considering it.

The NPC issues you've described are fixed as far as I can tell in OpenJK, and would only happen in JA++ as that seems to be the only up-to-date mod in the past few years. So the NPC problem is not related to OpenJK, but to JA++. As long as they have an up to date version of JA++, then they shouldn't have any problems.

I'm told the mod is regular JA+, on Linux. AFAIK, the last time I attempted to utilize the the AI movement on Openjk + ja+(not ja++), it was not working as intended.

Are there some sort of hidden issues on the Windows Ded? The only time the Icarus/manually setting the dvar has worked for me has been on a Windows machine.

timescale is cheat protected so im not sure.  Did you mean Linux Ded?

I'm sorry, you said it wasn't an OS specific issue. I thought you might have meant there were issues setting timescale via Icarus in Windows that I was not aware of because they are not immediately apparent.

lol dvar is so Call of Duty  :P

I'm brain washed. :P

@@MoonDog, I've downloaded your FFA3 mod to try and see what it's meant to do, and to see if I can reproduce the problem on Linux. I've tried spawning the two Kyle NPCs on the terrace but neither of them seem to move at all on base servers running jampDed on Windows. Am I spawning the correct Kyles, or are there more of them somewhere?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found him :)

I've investigated NPC navgoal issue further and it's not caused by OpenJK; it's caused by JA+ when running in Linux. I get the same bug when running JA+ with the original JKA dedicated server. This is exactly the case which I had fixed a few months ago, and as I said, requires changes to the server-side mod code.

I'll be having a look at that timescale issue now.

I didn't mean to say it was caused by OpenJK. :P I remember asking when someone told me that certain Icarus functions were made to work in MP in OpenJK if the problems were fixed, and they erroneously told me they were fixed in OpenJK.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've fixed up the font renderer now so that scaled down fonts (like the multiplayer chat text) are no longer positioned awkwardly and inconsistently.

Pictures say a thousand words, so here's how it's changed:

Before: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14861910/OpenJK/shot2014-07-24_23-23-07.png

After: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14861910/OpenJK/shot2014-07-24_23-24-48.png

The most obvious difference is in the chat font, but the score text at the bottom of the screen is also now aligned properly to the font metrics.

Hope you like it! :)

Tx606, Circa, z3filus and 2 others like this