dotXSI 3.0/3.5 Importer for 3ds Max / Gmax

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... so I've been reverse-engineering the dotXSI exporter code and have the dotXSI Importer project compiling-- well beyond the initial wizard created project. However most of the functions need to be converted to "import" from "export" functions... and many can be deleted because they're not applicable.

AshuraDX likes this
  • 6 months later...

What are the most common texture file formats used on models? .TGA, .PNG, .JPG, etc.???

I've noticed that many of the LOD meshes are using a .PIC image file-- @@DT85, @@minilogoguy18, @@Psyk0Sith, @@AshuraDX -- is this some sort of mip-mapping lower detail copy of the original .TGA texture?

Reason I ask is that I'm trying to optimize the material import process... and would rather use the TGA (if present) instead of a .PIC file…

Thoughts?

I've never seen a model in any of the pk3's use .pic. Maybe just import textures by the name, and one of the 3 (TGA/PNG/JPG) extensions?

Anyhow, texture import isn't that big of a deal and we can do without it.

I've never seen a model in any of the pk3's use .pic. Maybe just import textures by the name, and one of the 3 (TGA/PNG/JPG) extensions?

Anyhow, texture import isn't that big of a deal and we can do without it.

Yeah I don't recall seeing any .PIC files used either... (that's a Paintbrush file right?) I'm just planning to search for the texture name and do a compare on the extension-- to find anything other than pic and lastly if there is a PIC then use it.

Mark Lubbers likes this

@@DT85 The texture import code is almost finished... I just need to write the code to verify the texture does exist in the import folder (looking for extensions other than .PIC) -- and if so import the data from the SI_Texture2D template into the 3ds Max material. Then put the new 3dsMax material into the Material Editor (the code for putting it to the editor is done)... just stepping back to finish the SI_Texture2D stuff.

I just exported a model that has specular and normal maps... only diffuse textures get exported to dotXSI (same as Raven's exported files)-- @@minilogoguy18, could you export one of your models (that has specular, etc. textures applied) to dotXSI 3.0-- just to confirm, and email it to me?

For the importer I plan to search for related specular, normal maps etc. and import them as well as the diffuse.

For example-- if the diffuse texture is named "Kyle_Torso.tga" then I will search for a specular ("Kyle_Torso_S") etc. and import them as well.

Key strings for additional texture map searches (forced to lower case):

diffuse is given the SI_Texture2D...

specular suffix = "_s"

normal suffix = "_n"

Can anyone think of other suffixes I should search on? I realize this enforces a naming pattern-- but it will at least import the diffuse textures.

My plan is to import the materials/textures as Standard Materials in 3ds Max-- the specular, normal, etc. textures will be added as additional maps in their respective map slots.

When the materials are imported into 3dsMax and put to the material editor, I'm planning to rename the material to the diffuse texture name (e.g., "Kyle_torso" instead of "01 - Default" etc.). They can always be renamed by the artist later.

When mesh objects are imported I plan to check for the XSICustomPSet .Game template (that holds the G2Skin data-- relative texture path...) then I plan to use that G2Skin info to rename the #map name to the relative path.

DT. likes this
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been working on modifying the Gmax/3dsMax dotXSI 1.x Importer Maxscript to be able to process dotXSI 3.x files as well.

dotXSI 3.x introduces about 13 new template types to handle...

So far, I have 4 of 13 complete (dealing with materials/textures) completed-- meaning the SI_MaterialLibrary is imported and put to the Material Editor in 3dsMax.

Remaining templates to process are:

SI_FCurve,

SI_GlobalMaterial,

SI_Mesh,

SI_Model,

SI_Null,

SI_Shape,

SI_Transform,

SI_TriangleList,

XSI_CustomPSet (holds .Game Shader data)

DT. likes this
  • 3 weeks later...