Mod Project/Game Project

Hello, I have a group of people that i have gathered to develop a new mod for jk2/jk3 and my group is looking for a programmer. We currently have most of the other stuff covered we just need the programmer to bring everything together. I don’t want to give to much away because I’m paranoid and what not but i will say that the programmer should have developed his/her own mod or be good at programming in general. If anyone is interested in the position I would be happy to talk to them privately and go over in more detail the project idea.

Can't wait to hear from you.

Alright I can give you more information if you want. The idea of ours is to create essentially a jk4 with the newly released source code. With this mod we would like to take the best elements of jk2, jk3, and Q3 and make a overall better game to bring all the communities into one game. We would be bringing everything people liked from the 3 games into one like, jk2 1.02, jk2 1.04, defrag, and different saber styles (2 sabers, double saber, etc...) while also introdusing some new things like: maps, tournaments, stats, and gametypes. With this mod we would also of course like to have a new launcher, new menu, new server settings.

I hope this gives you a better idea of what we are trying to do

Sounds controversial.

No, that was the ending to Mass Effect 3.

This project sounds like it will need more than just one programmer to get what you want accomplished. I also think that most people will still want more information before they get involved. Large ambitious projects like this typically cause hesitancy within the community without a lot of information to back it up. Listing publicly what you've accomplished so far, or specifically what you need help with, might give modders more interest in helping your team out.

Circa and Onysfx like this

No, that was the ending to Mass Effect 3.

This project sounds like it will need more than just one programmer to get what you want accomplished. I also think that most people will still want more information before they get involved. Large ambitious projects like this typically cause hesitancy within the community without a lot of information to back it up. Listing publicly what you've accomplished so far, or specifically what you need help with, might give modders more interest in helping your team out.

Not everyone wants Defrag/1.02 movement, which is what I'm referring to.

The point of this mod is to provide all of the options to the community. So if a server wants 1.02 they can do it with a simple server options or if they want 1.04 there is another server option for that.

The only thing we have done so far is the code that is already released and map ideas, layouts, and complete maps, model ideas, and a bunch of other ideas.

It doesn't sound too too terrible, but you might wanna consult with @@Raz0r about working on these things being implemented into JA++. He and some of the other people who have worked on it pay careful attention to the pro community and if you submit a good enough pull request, I'm sure he'd like to put in the JK2 1.02/1.04 movement.

Okay let me put it another way. I am looking to make a mod that is a standalone. I want server owners to have the ability to chosen between playing on 1.02 based servers (saber styles, movement, force, etc...), 1.04 based servers, defrag servers, and maybe something that resembles versions of JA. This mod will have player accounts (yet to be determined how we handle those) that will track things like kills, flag captures, KDR, etc… but only on ranked servers (again a server based option) unranked servers are more of the chill and chat that some of the jk players are used to.

Alright good point but let me ask you this, which would bring more people - JA++ or a new mod/game that you could put on steam/websites.

Let’s face it jk2/jk3 are not going to get bigger unless someone steps up and makes a bold move to change something and then post it up for everyone to see.

I think that both communities have waited long enough and it is time for a jk4 to come out of the wood work and blow people’s minds with some new features and also some revamped ones as well to keep it familiar.

*cough*

blade symphony

*cough*

nexuiz/xonotic/q3/any twitch shooter ever made

Frankly JA++ is going to have more of a pull since you already have that community built. Why completely reinvent the wheel? If it's the best CTC/dueling experience ever made, then people will naturally flock to it.

Plus you can't even make a new game and JA doesn't have Workshop support so your point is rather moot. :P

blade symphony is nice but there is something to be said for jk's simplistic nature.

Of crouse someone could just go play q3 or what ever butttt we are not focused on the guns and what ever we just think it would be fun to have defrag and all that.

As for JA++ already having a community that is nice and all but it is not a growing thing that will get to the point where it is able to fill 20 servers full of people and that is what i want. If someone has something that is the best why not break away from everyone else and stand by yourself and bring everyone with you while at the same time bringing new people in that can easily see your new development. People will flock to JA++ but only because it is the only/best mod for JA and so the ja community will go to it but nothing more than that likely because no one sees the mods they see the game. JA might not have a workshop but doesn't mean we can't pitch the idea to steam and they green light it and BOOM its up there OR we just upload it to a website and advertise it all over the internet, we can also get a kick starter and all the other advertising to boost the game popularity.

Well maybe this group of people is not willing to give it a shot or give ideas to better my idea but maybe someone will come along and see this and take the job or maybe no one and i will have to do this farther down the line... Can't hurt to try and reach out for support for an idea.

@@TheReferee can you describe what modding or game development experience you and each of your current team members has had in the past? And what mods you (and your team members) have worked on in the past which has been released?

This isn't a stab at you, but all too often people have tried to make "the next biggest thing in JKA" (and I'm guilty of this as well) but end up abandoning it half way through due to the lack of experience both in developing and pushing the mod forward to completion. Ideas for something bold and new aren't the problem. The problem is the ability to execute the ideas.

blade symphony is nice but there is something to be said for jk's simplistic nature.

Of crouse someone could just go play q3 or what ever butttt we are not focused on the guns and what ever we just think it would be fun to have defrag and all that.

As for JA++ already having a community that is nice and all but it is not a growing thing that will get to the point where it is able to fill 20 servers full of people and that is what i want. If someone has something that is the best why not break away from everyone else and stand by yourself and bring everyone with you while at the same time bringing new people in that can easily see your new development. People will flock to JA++ but only because it is the only/best mod for JA and so the ja community will go to it but nothing more than that likely because no one sees the mods they see the game. JA might not have a workshop but doesn't mean we can't pitch the idea to steam and they green light it and BOOM its up there OR we just upload it to a website and advertise it all over the internet, we can also get a kick starter and all the other advertising to boost the game popularity.

For "something to be said about JA's simplistic nature" - I'm going to assume you meant the combination of fast paced movement and sabers + force. Saying that the game's simple nature is the key selling point is a bit of a stretch (or just flat out wrong). Most people don't play Q3 because it's "simple", after all. :P

As for your JA++ argument: you're kinda assuming that a) JA++ won't grow in such a fashion you're describing with the changes you're mentioning and b) you're also assuming that your idea will bring about such people. I don't doubt the potential of such an idea (I don't honestly have much experience with this subset of the community), however I'm questioning how such a mode or whatever will be a detriment to your work.

And think of it this way- if you go standalone, you also have to create your own assets, which involves a lot more than just programming. It's a lot more than you could possibly bargain for. Believe me on that one.

You want to break off and generate your own community, and possibly bring in more people from the outside. However you're missing something important: most of the JK2/A community would be well-trained, leaving a significant learning curve. This is potentially very bad for a fledgling community as it risks alienating outsiders.

My advice - start up a mod or a fork of JA++, and generate a metric fuckton of frag videos, hud mods, character models, customization through code, stuff like that. Put out as much content as you can, link to people where they can get the game through Steam, partner with ESL or other big leagues, and go that route. It's way less effort, you can produce a lot of REALLY good community content (I understand that this isn't what you're going for, but massive amounts of customization and personalization to the game can be a VERY good selling point; Q3 received lots of praise at the time for this very reason)

Circa likes this