Target_Speaker range

Trying to add some sounds near computers, the generator room, ect... I'm doing ok with that when I can get them to work. The problem is with range of sound.  I'm hearing the sounds outside of the room they are in.

Are there any methods to make the range smaller or the volume less further away?

Radius - unfortunately doesn't work with sounds in Jedi Academy, but it worked just fine, when I tried it with Half-Life - a far more older game, that still had quite an engine. You could even add echo there. But it's another story.

As for your problem - there is actually a solution. However, it will limit you in building your map. From a certain point of view.

This means, that you can't achieve the necessary effect in large open areas, the sound would still be heard more quietly from a distance though.

If you want to make a sound, that can be heard in just one room, you must make it completely enclosed by brushes and at least one door (no windows, sorry) with a special brush inside this door, which is covered by an Area Portal (yellow) texture from System pack, which is in the GtkRadiant.

areaportal.jpg

The door must be thicker than the Portal brush, but the two must be of the same size.

Once the door is closed you won't hear it outside. The moment the door opens, the sound will be heard playing until the door closes back to its original position.

If there an enemy inside and he spotted you already, it is most likely, that the sound will be heard as well until you kill him.

Asgarath83 likes this

I did find those keys mentioned by Polarity located in the sound.text file located in Base/Sound/sound.text for Jedi Outcast. This is a listing of all the "soundset" sounds. If you look at some of them, they do have a RADIUS key and a value in the text file. 

Would it be possible to modify this file to make range and volume changes?

• 2 months later...

I actually figured out a way to get it pretty close to what I originally wanted. Set the sound to a trigger multiple and then add a wait key with the value of the length of sound file, in whole numbers. also, select player only in the check boxes. Then, make the trigger to the size/shape you want  and when the player enters the sound will play. It may have a bit more range when you leave the trigger area, but, its not really noticeable with short length sounds.

I got the idea when I imported the Geiger Counter mp3 for my radioactive waste pit. I put a wait key in the same length as the file and it didn't keep repeating constantly. It seems that a trigger_hurt acts like a trigger_multiple.

i replayed Nar Shaddaa and noticed that at the point where you give the password there is a computer sound being played by the window. It only has a limited range but its a constant range. So, somehow they managed to set it up where the range was limited. I've been messing around with Trigger_Hurt and seeing if I can use that with no damage. No luck. I'm ok with it my way though since its not very noticable.

I did, however, learn how to make a Trigger_Heal. You just have to add a negative value to the dmg key and you'll gain health. I had it up to 452 before I just gave up watching it. I just have no idea how you would cap the hit points.

I did, however, learn how to make a Trigger_Heal. You just have to add a negative value to the dmg key and you'll gain health. I had it up to 452 before I just gave up watching it. I just have no idea how you would cap the hit points.

Thanks for suggest! :D

For target_speaker... there is not a range command of something like that?

Ah yes, yu modding JO, i am modding JA. there are some differences. :( However yes, for trigger hurt you are correct. if yu play many MP maps on SP, the trigger hurt of the bottomless pit regen health... or armor, sometime. i not understand why a trigger regen the health and another an armor. O.o

Thanks for suggest! :D

For target_speaker... there is not a range command of something like that?

Ah yes, yu modding JO, i am modding JA. there are some differences. :( However yes, for trigger hurt you are correct. if yu play many MP maps on SP, the trigger hurt of the bottomless pit regen health... or armor, sometime. i not understand why a trigger regen the health and another an armor. O.o

There has to be some commands because in Bespin_Undercity there are terminals and they have sound played that only is in front of the terminals themselves. When you leave that area it stops, when you enter it starts.

None of the range commands work in JA on target_speakers. You can however use vis techniques to block sounds. Or, in SP, there's the dynamic music system.

None of the range commands work in JA on target_speakers. You can however use vis techniques to block sounds. Or, in SP, there's the dynamic music system.

I said it twice to reiterate what was already said.

mmm, stange, in my map sounds decrease with distance. But i use the sounSets. maye you need to make a custom Soundset for your work, @@IrocJeff for example, i have a map with a lake into a rocky montain up a swamp. i set the target speaker for play looped with soundset pool_lp. works very good. :) maybe yu need to specify a soundSet and not a single sound file.

There is a default "Range" on a target speaker but not one you can edit as you please. You can set it to play globally if you wish.

The issue with soundsets is that you cant create your own, I believe if you edit any you have to overwrite old ones? Or certainly you could only have one map in base with a new soundset.txt included, otherwise one would superseed the other.