rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

I disagree. It serves the important function of making my balls explode with excitement since it's the closest thing to JK4 we'll ever get looks-wise.

You must be joking yourself if you think rend2 is going to magically make the game modern looking.  It needs new art and assets to actually take advantage of most of the stuff.

eezstreet likes this

It's not a motion blur. it's keeping previous frame on the screen for few time.

The motion blur has to have every frame just once w/o any lifetime.

Although you are technically correct, it doesn't really matter since visually it accomplishes the same purposes as motion blur.

JKG Developer

You must be joking yourself if you think rend2 is going to magically make the game modern looking.  It needs new art and assets to actually take advantage of most of the stuff.

Of course not. I said close as we're going to get, not modern.

Not too happy with this yet. Just wanted to see how it currently looked.

shot2014-08-08_20-21-41.jpg

So the normal maps don't work on the legs. For no reason (I've triple checked 20 times). When I assign the normal maps, just like the head and torso, they can't be found in the console. Have tried giving them different names and all, copying the exact recipe, only switching out the names, but it was not meant to work this time. JKA wins!

Grab likes this

Just a question (not specifically rd-rend2 related)... but here goes-- can Ghoul2 player models/NPCs have "Shader" LODs... so that in lower LODs you might drop a certain Shader stage so as to reduce computations? Just wondering... maybe someone can edumacate me.

Second question-- can we have animated normal maps??? For example-- I'd like to make various wrinkle maps to use in conjunction with facial expressions/animations. So when a specific facial expression is made it is enhanced by the associated wrinkle maps (e.g., brow furrow, eye squint, crows feet, etc.). In 3dsMax the process is known... and I seem to recall reading about an 8-frame animated texture/shader in the Q3 Shader manual-- but is this achievable? And how would I do this with ShaderED and rend2 ???

Sure, I don't see why animated normal maps aren't possible, but I don't really see how they're useful at the same time. You'd probably want vertex deformation as opposed to animated normal maps.

Likely more useful for a map related shader, like a func_usable with a toggle based animmap change.

eezstreet likes this

Sure, I don't see why animated normal maps aren't possible, but I don't really see how they're useful at the same time. You'd probably want vertex deformation as opposed to animated normal maps.

No... all I need are normal maps to accentuate the facial expression using a bone-based rig-- no morphing/vertex animation needed.

This method/technique is explained in Jason Osipa's "Stop Staring..." facial animation book. Check this out:

From small descriptions of such a method, I recall the creases are done in a second normal map which gets applied in addition to the original normal map.

While it's possible, you would still need additional code (probably in cgame) to drive the change in normal map which lies outside of rend2 :/ You could potentially do it with only changes in rend2 but it would feel a bit hacky to me;..