rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

Awesome work. :D

I'll give the updated code a whirl right now. :)

EDIT:

I'm getting 2 unresolved externals

LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "char const * const fallbackShader_gaussian_blur_vp" (?fallbackShader_gaussian_blur_vp@@3PBDB) \build\codemp\rd-rend2\tr_glsl.obj MP Rend2 Renderer
LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "char const * const fallbackShader_gaussian_blur_fp" (?fallbackShader_gaussian_blur_fp@@3PBDB) \build\codemp\rd-rend2\tr_glsl.obj MP Rend2 Renderer

The way CMake is set up with the GLSL shaders is a bit fiddly, so it won't always pick up new shaders. You can try making a small change (e.g. add a space) to codemp/rd-rend2/CMakeLists.txt, save, undo, save, then build rd-rend2 again. That usually works :P

Could someone please give me the compiled (and latest) rend2? ; (

My internet is being a little bitch after formatting my PC and I can't download Visual Studio (literally anything above 100mb) or do anything :c

I reaaaaally want it.

A few things to report:

Firstly, the dynamic glow code is pretty much done now. I'm happy with how it looks, even if it doesn't quite look like vanilla. Here's links to screenshots (instead of inline images, which made it hard to compare):

Vanilla no glow: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/jka/shot2014-06-02_07-45-47.jpg

Vanilla WITH glow: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/jka/shot2014-06-02_07-45-50.jpg

Rend2 no glow: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/jka/shot2014-06-02_07-46-13.jpg

Rend2 WITH glow: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/jka/shot2014-06-02_07-46-20.jpg

Secondly, I've tweaked the tangent vector calculations code for Ghoul2 normal mapping to match the (new) MD3 code so hopefully that gets rid of the weird shadows. I'll upload an updated rend2 DLL at some point today if anyone's interested.

I think I prefer the rend2 pics... however, they're still missing something-- and it could just be the lava shader itself needs improvement.  Lava is quite complicated and has different looks based on many factors (just google images of lava flows).  For example:

Lava_flow_by_Karlbert.jpg

In terms of the glowing-- I think the glowing should emmenate more from the cracks that show deeper into the lava and not so much where the top is cooling and darkened... it certainly is not a uniform effect... which leads me to believe the shader itself should be tweaked.  No?

DarthStiv likes this

Deleted my build folder and redid cmake, now compiles fine. :P

Now, onto an issue I've found:

<snip>

Good catch :) There's something weird with missing or extra triangles going on with some Ghoul2 models. Haven't figured it out just yet. Are the normal maps looking okay now though?

Could someone please give me the compiled (and latest) rend2? ; (

My internet is being a little bitch after formatting my PC and I can't download Visual Studio (literally anything above 100mb) or do anything :c

I reaaaaally want it.

Sorry! You'll have to wait another few hours, I completely forgot to upload it last night.

I think I prefer the rend2 pics... however, they're still missing something-- and it could just be the lava shader itself needs improvement.  Lava is quite complicated and has different looks based on many factors (just google images of lava flows).  For example:

<snip>

In terms of the glowing-- I think the glowing should emmenate more from the cracks that show deeper into the lava and not so much where the top is cooling and darkened... it certainly is not a uniform effect... which leads me to believe the shader itself should be tweaked.  No?

Yeah, the shaders themselves don't look great. Changing the shader is outside the scope of rend2 of course, I'm just after the glowiness :)

Maybe we could have a "glow" texture which depicts the areas of the diffuse will glow? Something like:

{
    stage glow
    map textures/lava/lava_glow.jpg
}

That's how it works already. Only stages marked with the 'glow' keyword are made to glow.

I meant like a new stage where you specify a texture to control the amount of glow.

If you make the texture darker then the glow won't look so strong. You have pretty good control over how intense the glow will be I think.

Normal maps do look better, though I haven't looked very closely yet.

Good to hear :D

If you make the texture darker then the glow won't look so strong. You have pretty good control over how intense the glow will be I think.

Good to hear :D

But your glow effect appears to be uniform across the entire lava texture, no? There needs to be something in the Shader that only allows the cracks to glow... IMO.

But your glow effect appears to be uniform across the entire lava texture, no? There needs to be something in the Shader that only allows the cracks to glow... IMO.

that's because the default JA lava shader is just a single stage shader that's set to glow , if you made it a 2 stage shader you could easily fix that ,but altering game assets is not the goal of OpenJK

that's because the default JA lava shader is just a single stage shader that's set to glow , if you made it a 2 stage shader you could easily fix that ,but altering game assets is not the goal of OpenJK

All I'm saying is that it's hard to judge improvements when you're using a shitty shader-- you can only polish a terd so much! ;)

For anyone interested, here's a download link to the Rend2 DLL: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/rd-rend2_x86.zip

Make sure you've installed the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (click Download, then select vcredist_x86.exe - it doesn't matter if your OS is 64-bit).

A warning though! I've started making use of newer OpenGL features which I just assume exist. Don't be surprised if it just crashes.

All I'm saying is that it's hard to judge improvements when you're using a shitty shader-- you can only polish a terd so much! ;)

You can polish them quite well :P

FullblkGrn_dorodango.jpg

Should be an "X" on his back, but it makes the whole torso shiny and the "X" moves around like an env map:

orv229.jpg

models/players/kyle/kyle_torso
{    
	{        
		map models/players/kyle/gray
        	rgbGen lightingdiffuseEntity
	}    
	{
	        stage normalparallaxmap
        	map models/players/kyle/kyle_torso_pn        
	}
}

Hmm, the way I remember parallax maps, they kind of separated on every face. For example when using on two brushes with slightly different angles, it would break the illusion. For example on round towers, trees etc. I imagine the same effect would make it impossible to use on characters, unless it has been fixed (not sure if it was a bug or just an unfortunate... fact)?

Yeah, methinks just not worry about it. There's other things Xycaleth could be working on, poor guy is working on his own afaik. :(

EDIT:

@@Xycaleth: Yeah, normal maps definitely look better. I can say with 90% certainty that they are fixed. :P Now, back to the subject of UV seams. What exactly can be done about them for Ghoul2 & MD3? I've read a few ideas but nothing has been set as a 'solution'.