Star Wars Rebels

That's only during the ignition that it generates that effect.

Also, technology wise there has been scientific discussion that the most likely technology for a lightsaber would be a plasma blade-- which wouldn't give off any heat... but it would generate light! And could be constrained to the shape of a blade-- unlike true light. Google for the Sci-Fi or Discovery episode that discussed the science of Star Wars weapons.

If that's the case, why don't all Jedi go around wielding 10 foot sabers like Desann? Wouldn't that be more powerful? I figured only he could handle a giant saber like that dextrously because he has dinosaur strength and therefore better control.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber :

"Due to the weightlessness of plasma and the strong gyroscopic effect generated by it, lightsabers required a great deal of strength and dexterity to wield, and it was extremely difficult—and dangerous—for the untrained to attempt using. However, in the hands of an expert of the Force, the lightsaber was a weapon to be greatly respected and feared. To wield a lightsaber was to demonstrate incredible skill and confidence, as well as masterful dexterity and attunement to the Force."

^I don't know if that's entirely accurate, but I figured a saber takes adjustment from someone who would be used to a sword. Not so much because it's heavy (it's not :P) but more because of awkwardness and unwieldiness. And I would think a giant saber would intensify the gyroscopic effect.

That wiki crap is all bullshit... IMO. Anyone can update it to read differently. That gyroscopic effect is only when you ignite the Saber-- not continually. Also, If it was, when you threw the Saber it would tumble like crazy.

Also, Vader's saber had a feature to vary the blade length somewhat [according to novels]... perhaps there is a physical limit to blade length due to power/crystal requirements, etc.

^ anything is possible with the Force. I wouldn't take Wikipedia too seriously either, since Luke turned on his new saber without any training in the ways of the Force and with one hand only.

Lightsabers are created by individual users, from different races, so ofcourse there has to be a universal part that any Jedi can use in their saber, to adjust the blade lenght. But then again...

in the films, only Yoda's saber seems to be shorther than the rest, so if the Jedi in the movies have different lenght sabers, it's almost impossible to see the differences on screen.

Well, it's suggested that Fulcrum = Ahsoka Tano, based on raising the pitch of the mysterious figure's transmissions and the insignias on cargo crates. I can't help but wonder...

Given Ahsoka might be back, where does that leave Lux Bonteri? I like to imagine that a rebellion, as it were, would start with his coalition between the navy and the patriotic freedom-fighters of Onderon. I take it Onderon decided to align with the Republic later, but it's not too long before Order 66 occurs and the Galactic Empire secures its dominant hold on the galaxy. Anyways, here's a few hypotheses of mine in regards to how a rebel alliance might be forged:

• The original theory was that the Senate didn't like Palpatine . . . because he's a meaniehead . . . so they formed an alliance against him.
  • Bail Organa might be trying to gain resources for a Rebellion (you'll recall he had Artoo report everything he found out about the Ghost Crew) and assuming he's associated with Ahsoka Tano (I might not doubt this, given he sought out Shaak Ti in TFU), he might be using her seemingly anonymous deals to reach out to the Ghost Crew and perhaps use their talents to acquire/safely transport more of what an official Rebellion would need.
  • Lux Bonteri and Ahsoka Tano could have run off together with the Onderonian militia following them, thus forming an independent rebellion and operating and making deals in secret. If they and Bail Organa aren't associated yet, it might as well only be a matter of time.
  • At one point, Ghost Crew, Fulcrum (probably Ahsoka), and Bail Organa will meet up and organize a rebellion, and use Sabine's custom spray-painted insignia for their symbol. (Sigh.)

So yeah . . . Though I still very much do prefer the TFU story, given it was more relevant and developed, as well as meaningful to what the Rebel Alliance was built upon. Having Leia amongst the Rebel leadership was a nice, and so was the rebel uniform being derived from that of Kota's militia. Just as well, we see through the eyes of Starkiller what Darth Vader would have been as a father, and how he probably intended to rule the galaxy with Luke at his side. Seeing Starkiller turn his back on the dark side and sacrificing himself so that the galaxy might find hope and harmony after stumbling upon his old Jedi roots, despite all that he had been hardwired to do as Vader's slave and Palpatine's pawn, I found rather touching. And seeing the rebel insignia come from the Jedi family crest of the assembler of the rebel alliance, as well as the one who sacrificed himself so it might exist, was pretty symbolic. Heh, more symbolic than a random spraypainting made of destructive detonate.

NumberWan likes this

@

The whole concept of the Clone Wars was very different during the shooting of Episodes IV-VI. But that is another story. =)

On the ideas, you've presented.

Ahsoka = Fulcrum\

For some reasons I still doubt she is the one. In my opinion she would be rather someone searching answers to her own life elsewhere in the Galaxy. I always assumed, she would be following a path far from the known space of the Galaxy. However she might return to major star systems and meet the rebels. this would make her a much more powerful Jedi than Kanan and a much better mentor to Ezra.

Palpatine - the Senate

As of now, the Senate is a full supporter of the regime. 3-19 years after the Clone Wars the institution would have been cleansed of those, considered not worthy of working for the Empire, like aliens. Most senators might have been replaced by human representatives. even some time before Episode III the Senate adopted the laws on the regional governors. In Episode IV it was disbanded, but I guess in real life the Senate seized to exist about one year after the establishment of the Empire. just a building and formal meetings took place.

A small group of those against the regime were better known to fans via EU - this included Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and Garm Bel Iblis. Bail Organa appearance was revealed later, and the group became larger with other rebels joining the forces in different books and games. But even without the TFU it was always implied, that it was a small group in the beginning. The Rebels series also indicate, that the Galaxy has various rebel cells in different systems - and the next seasons would be developing this concept, I think.

It is good you've mentioned Lux Bonteri here. TCW series actually showed a contraversial, yet curious aspect - the future Darth Vader himself trained some of the future rebels. On Felucia the farmers were taught to fight the pirates, and later they are seen helping the Republic against the droids. the Onderon plot as well as other similar episodes actually show, that there were lots of prerequisites for such small cells to appear in the Galaxy.

That wiki crap is all bullshit... IMO. Anyone can update it to read differently. That gyroscopic effect is only when you ignite the Saber-- not continually. Also, If it was, when you threw the Saber it would tumble like crazy.

Also, Vader's saber had a feature to vary the blade length somewhat [according to novels]... perhaps there is a physical limit to blade length due to power/crystal requirements, etc.

I read the entry on lightsabers in my New Essential Guide to SW Weapons and Tech, but it didn't say anything about a gyroscopic effect or lack thereof. From what I've read though, the idea of the gyroscopic effect has to do with the way the plasma beam/saber blade or whatever is focused into a blade. It has to be made to go out of the hilt and extend to a fixed point then loop back around and return the energy to the hilt was my sort of laymen's understanding, which would make sense to me that that would generate some sort of slightly unwieldy gyroscopic effect. It probably wouldn't be massive, but enough that it would be awkward for someone who's never used a saber before to start slashing around with exactly the same finesse and skill they have with a normal sword.

Yes Vader's saber was a dual-phase lightsaber. Still though, if a Jedi's chosen saber length for their lightsaber only has to due with power and crystal requirements, why doesn't every Jedi build a giant saber like Desann had? Did Desann get better/bigger saber crystals and a better battery for his saber than every other Jedi? That doesn't make any sense to me. I would think only he and strong species like Wookiees would handle a huge saber like that comfortably as a normal species Jedi could a regular size saber. Also, I've always had it in my imagination that if you could actually build a lightsaber in real life, that it would require that you plug it into a nuclear power plant to have enough power to keep it running. If that was the case, I don't have a hard time thinking that even with Star Wars tech there would be at least some kind of mild gyroscopic effect or something similar generated from something using a lot of energy.

I have a feeling Kanan might be turned or something since he was captured and taken alive.Yep.

I doubt he'll be turned. I think what we are getting here is a season ending cliffhanger for the last episode. They'll get close to getting him back but they won't. However, I think that there may be more revealing of the Rebellion in this last episode. I'm sure Hera is going to have report Kanan's capture to someone so we may see some early rebellion folks in the season ender.

The Imperial Gunship looked very...  nice, a good remake of the Clone Gunship.

For the record, this script is written to closely ressemble the movies; Ezra being a powerful young Jedi, having visions while training,
a group of mistfits that includes a big hairy creature. So I'm expecting Kanan to die like Ben Kenobi or
to be carbonated like Han Solo.

It would be only natural, that Kanan would die before Episode IV. I am still convinced that after Episode IV the hunt for the Jedi is almost finished - they are really-really dead, except for a few, seen in the film. And a few more, from the EU, like Qu Rahn. 

But his story is far from being told. We are yet to see a lot more of his adventures. I also believe, he won't be turned to the Dark Side.

It's a wonder to see Tarkin in the same scenes as Inquisitor. More than that it's quite interesting to compare the three Tarkin characters - from Episode IV, from Clone Wars and from Rebels. There are similarities, but we can clearly see the development of the character. In CW he is more like a military idealist, still backing the ideas of legitimacy and law. In Episode IV he is more of a military leader with principles, very much loyal to the Empire.

In Rebels he is the mix of two.

Interestingly, that he tolerated the prosecution by the Inquisitor, but would ask Vader to "release" the choked Motti.

I can't wait to see people from the Imperial circle on Death Star. Including Motti. And what about Mas Ameddaa, Sate Pestage and Palpatine himself? =)

Is Vader off hunting more Jedi? since we've only seen him talking to his minion the Inquisitor dark jedi and Palpatine is off managing the Empire.You can't have three dark siders off doing the Jedi Purge.There has to be more dark jedi aside from our two main Sith Lords and a dark jedi who is basically an arc villain for season 1 of Rebels.

.....it must be that Kanan kills the Inquisitor at some point because Tarkin tells Vader in EP.4 that he is the last of that "religion."

Ezra could kill him to avange his master, which would be typical from Disney as well as a theme in StarWars..  but you are right about that quote.

According to Tarkin, Vader is the last of his kind, but this specific animated series, and the upcoming movies may prove Tarkin wrong. Who knows.

As above your right about the whole "Last of your kind quote" since if you look back at A New Hope which was made before there was even mention of the Sith and Jedi.Or maybe Tarkin is lead to believe that the Galactic Empire is being ran by non force sensitives when in reality its Palpatine and his Advisors while Vader acts as his enforcer.

@Archangel35757

A very good point! Since Rebels have been confirmed to be about 4 seasons (even possibly with 20+ episodes in each), this will be the story told about the 4-5 years before Battle of Yavin IV. I do believe, that the Inquisitor would be destroyed, thus Vader would be stepping out as the main Jedi hunter again, though surely there are other matters to attend to. Kanan might or might not die, but Tarkin would be positive, that this Jedi died as well.

@zeƒilus

I think, Tarkin is a very confident man about things he believes and things he says, even if he were wrong. Back in Episode IV he was still sure, that the Death Star would destroy Yavin IV. he shows such traits in Clone Wars as well, both during the raid on the Citadel CIS prison (he doubts the methods of the Jedi) and the trial on Ahsoka Tano (he was quite pushy there and even when it was proven the other was guilty, Tarkin said nothing).

I also think, that Tarkin would consider a Jedi only those, who pose a threat. A dead Jedi is surely nothing to fear about, but a weakened, unfocused, old or crazy is surely not to be afraid of, as according to Grand Moff theory.

@DrXann

You are quite right. With the release of Episode IV the general idea was that the Jedi and the Republic with their old traditions were wiped out, with the Emperor now being more of a puppet controlled by military and bureaucrats like Tarkin. The EU sources stated much later, that Tarkin was quite ambitious, and Palpatine still wanted an eye on him, so that the Death Star would not be used against the current Imperial regime. It is also true, that the Jedi were the only fraction in Episode IV, and the Emperor and his people (who were not deemed as Sith in 1970s) somehow feared the Order with so many powers.

I also think, that Palpatine no longer believed, that the Sith ideals would work as they worked for Revan, Malak, Exar Kun and Darth Bane (and of course his master Plaguies). For him the Empire was a very unique institution (and it actually was), that was nothing like the Sith Empires of the old times, which relied on Sith ideals, on Darth stuff and other things, which became irrelevant during the Clone Wars. Rule of two or rule of many - had no significance as long as any method or decision would bring him closer to his goals.

Onysfx likes this

The latest rumours suggest, that people like @Intone and @@DT85 (if I am correct) were not far from truth in their speculations. Be careful! This is a major spoiler!!!

Fulcrum is indeed Ahsoka Tano.

This is not confirmed anywhere, but there is one picture about the French actress, who voiced Ahsoka for French version of CW, and her resume reveals, that she is voicing Ahsoka aka Fulcrum for Rebels in 2014!

You might see her resume and the article here

While there are about two more episodes to watch until Season 1 ends, there are already rumours regarding Season 2. On of the good (perhaps) news, that it will include about 24-26 episodes unlike Season 1, which is surely just a startup.

The next spoilers are quite hot, so be careful!

Lando Calryssian is sure to return in at least one episode in next seasons.

Both Darth Vader and the Emperor will appear in Season 2 Pilot episode.

Han Solo will appear for the first time in Rebels in Season 2

Ahsoka Tano will appear in the same episode as Vader and Palpatine in Season 2

Lamented likes this

I heard that they are going to bring Hondo into the mix when ever that might be.Also good news on Palpatine and Vader appearing in the series.I wonder if they'll use Han's audio double for his voice same goes for Palps and Vader.

Love these spoilers. So many people appearing in one episode.

I still wonder if people like Ben Kenobi, Yoda, Boba Fett, Bo-Katan, Darth Maul (and his Mandos), Captain Rex, Echo, Mace Windu, Rahm Kota, Ventress, or Chewbacca (ideally better animated a Wookiee) will be seen later on.

Also, remember that group of younglings that Ahsoka supervised and protected in TCW? What if they ended up joining her and they're sorta their own Jedi Strike Team now, as it were?