JA: Enhanced Code Base

it's just me or the SFXsabers feature increases lightsaber light on surfaces (and I'm not talking about the r_SFXsabersGlowSize cvar. I mean the light intensity reflected on surfaces and walls)? I was looking for this effect (to increase lightsabers light reflections on surfaces), and that feature (SFXsabers) seems that give us that more intense light just setting r_SFXsabers to 1. I'm right?

It's quite noticiable the "new effect", but well, it's not the first time I see something tweaking JK that people say it's impossible...  :

I'm making the staffs throwable in my packs and in addition to that, giving all sabers return damage. In all Star Wars games I've had the chance to witness saber throws, the saber was also spinning when returning, that's why I decided to do so for JKA too.

Regarding the switch to the saber when you want to throw it, i wouldn't really change it. It's logical and it's realistic like that... but that's just my 5 cents worth of oppinion. :P @@redsaurus, I know how to make the noghri staff useable and I could do the gun in theory too. Schould I do it for you?

I'll take your reply the same way as a request from my recent saber request thread - It's just beyond the kotor bundle pack on my to-do list. Or no... langred or someone requested a bundle of melee weapons, including a new noghri staff and rifle. It'll be done in a week and a half, hopefully.

redsaurus likes this

I think it's just a question of changing the weapons allowed by the player, so it shouldn't be too much work to get them usable - it might be nice to have a better first person model for the noghri staff and the tusken rifle though.

I'll take your reply the same way as a request from my recent saber request thread - It's just beyond the kotor bundle pack on my to-do list. Or no... langred or someone requested a bundle of melee weapons, including a new noghri staff. I'll just add the rifle there. It'll be done in a week or so, hopefully.

and I think there's need for a few tag modifications, too. So that's where I come in.. I've got practically the whole process in my head, needed to make this two weapons availible to players. One issue I could think of would be which blaster to replace with the noghri staff, except there's a way to add a tenth blaster weapon to the selection. 

One more thing; I didn't yet try the holster system with my latest sabers, I'll try to do it tomorrow. But does the tag position for the holster even matter regarding your holstering script? I'm curious.

oh and I'm sorry for the double post, I'm using firefox at the moment because I needed greasemonkey for Darkthrone.com. Seems I was logged off suddenly and the first version of my post was posted once before the final one, even though I edited and changed it.

Maybe, it's due to katarn saberstyle with bryar altattack.

yeah, that's what I finally thought... but even this, I still can't see the "advantage", because katarn saberstyle is not what I usually use (and well, I'm talking about my taste, of course, I don't know if katarn's saberstyle is usually used by other people).

Maybe there is a way to disable this feature... let's wait to redsaurus or someone else if they know a way.

Well... I've been searching and trying to "define" that Button_saberthrow with no lucky... I guess it's something to change in "code/qcommon/q_shared.h", but I don't know where this file is (actually, it's a "file"?) and how to change it...

In addition, I would like to know and be sure if katarn saberstyle is the only "advantatge" of having saberthrow as a force power. Maybe I'm (we are) losing something...

@ You'll have to add some "worldmodel" lines into the ultimate weapons weapons.dat - look at the weapons.dat included in the SP mod download for reference.

Well... I've been searching and trying to "define" that Button_saberthrow with no lucky... I guess it's something to change in "code/qcommon/q_shared.h", but I don't know where this file is (actually, it's a "file"?) and how to change it...

In addition, I would like to know and be sure if katarn saberstyle is the only "advantatge" of having saberthrow as a force power. Maybe I'm (we are) losing something...

It was mainly for the Katarn saberstyle. Playing through the SP campaign with saberthrow as a forcepower makes the game a bit harder too :P 

I'll fix the eweb thing for the next release, and think about what to do with saberthrow.

It was mainly for the Katarn saberstyle. Playing through the SP campaign with saberthrow as a forcepower makes the game a bit harder too :P

I see. Well, that's true, the game is a bit harder with saberthrow as a forcepower. But I'm using some "difficulty mods" as well (increased values in .npc files), and now the game is too much harder, not just a bit, :P Well, It's not a big deal this little "issue".

Just one more thing: At least, is there any "name", or "command", or cvar, for the saberthrow forcepower? Just to bind it to a key. I've tried some (force_saberthrow; fp_saberthrow, .... and some more), but without lucky, :(

@@redsaurus holstering bug report:

Major bugs:
- Kylo Ren is holstered totaly wrong, even though other hilts have the tags positioned the same way... wierd but probably a mistake on my part.
- If you switch to another saber via console, the previous saber stays holstered at the hip

and here's some pictures:

Saber switch bug (I'm actually using ONLY the stinger, but I was using tavion's before that... as you can see, they didn't interchange)

shot2015-01-2117-17-12.jpg

Kylo Ren bug:

shot2015-01-2117-17-48.jpg

First off, Kylo Ren has the same orientation as ALL other hilts, though it seems like it didn't turn upside down like the others and like with all the others, I've copied the parent tag and renamed it, so it SCHOULD be correct... but as you can see, it's not. I'm gonna try to recreate the tags once more, see if this fixes it.

Smaller bugs:
Here's alora's and tavion's hilts, which including with all others I've made seem to work perfectly, I'm really wondering what the problem with Kylo Ren could be...

shot2015-01-2117-06-24.jpg

shot2015-01-2117-16-54.jpg

All of the tag_holsterorigin are placed exactly with the centre a bit to the left from the rings/holster buttons, but still I think they're placed a bit too high, just a little bit... as you can see, the end of the hilt is almost at the chest area. I'm wondering if that's my fault or in your mod, I think we'll need to work together to sort this one out. After we do, I'm gonna post a tutorial on how to correctly place tag_holsterorigin to make it compatible and showing up the correct way on the player, so everyone can start making hilts holster-compatible.

EDIT: Did you make the script bind the tag_parent on other sabers to the holstering position? I've found out that Kylo Ren's saber is holstered exactly at the tag_blade2 position. Vanilla sabers are holstered correctly, that's where I realized it's not my fault. Because they probably use tag_parent and are holstered a bit lower, right? They have to, because there's no other tag on the hilt, except the blade. Tavion's and Alora's are a bit too high because they don't use tag_holsterorigin at all for the placement, too..through which I conlcude, that your script doesn't always use the correct tags. Could that be?

sample screenshot of a holstered vanilla saber: (holsters PERFECTLY!)

shot2015-01-2117-35-19.jpg

If you don't mind, I'll be doing various checks regarding the holstering system from now on and report anything that is not working as it schould, is that okay with you?

Edited by Rooxon
GPChannel likes this

I think you've just got the tag rotated the wrong way, I'll try to explain the tag_holsterorigin better later.

EDIT: I will make some changes to the code so that things are more consistent so probably best for you to wait a bit. The saber appearing in your hand when you use the saber command is the bug, nothing to do with holsters, but I'll fix that.

Rooxon likes this
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...