JA: Enhanced Code Base

So nice!

Is there a way to chose where a saber is holstered? So if I'm using a shield in the left hand can I make it go to the back or disappear?

Not right now, will be in a later version.

The player shouldn't need to that hand twirl thing when the saber is holstered. 

Might sort that out in a later version too.

Anyway, here's the release for Mac/Windows (25.5MB). The custom saber hilt is just to show how it can be done, and doesn't use anything like all the skins and hilt parts from @@AshuraDX's hilt builder. If you don't already have it (and you're on Windows) you'll need the MSVC++ 2010 redistributable (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5555)

Features and Commands

• All OpenJK features and fixes.
  • RGB Sabers These can be set in the menus or by setting the sabercolor to a hex code in the console - for example "/sabercolor 1 xff0000" will set the first lightsaber blade to be red. It should be possible to set the sabercolours of NPCs by setting their sabercolor to a hex code in the .npc file.
  • SFX Sabers SFX Sabers can be enabled in the console by setting cg_SFXSabers to 1.
  • Custom Sabers Now lightsabers can be customised like the player species. An example customisable hilt is included thanks to AshuraDX.
  • Saber Holsters Lightsabers are now holstered when not in use.
  • Headswapping Several new heads are available for the human male and human female species. You can add your own heads - see the .headswap files in the sp_custom.pk3 for examples. NPCs can have heads set using the playerHeadModel and customHeadSkin commands in their .npc file.
  • Better Entity Spawning The /spawn command now supports entity keys, e.g. "spawn fx_runner fxFile the/file".
  • Raz0r's MP Movement Raz0r's MP-style movement from the SP speedrun version can be enabled by getting g_MPmovement to 1.
  • Extra Player Tints (Unused) Playermodels are able to have multiple tints. If you enter “newPlayerTint 0 <R> <G> <B>”, any shader stages for the player with “rgbGen lightingDiffuseEntity 0” will be tinted to this colour rather than the usual

Credits

Thanks to AJL for the SFX Sabers stuff (including SFX_Sabers.pk3). Thanks to @@Circa for the icons for the new heads. Thanks to @@Raz0r for the MP-style movement. Thanks to @@AshuraDX for the saber hilt.

Śăļvõö, Keyten, Bek and 3 others like this

I'm not sure if I really want to "officially" take over the coding on the JA version of JK:E atm, even if that happens in effect. Maybe.

I'm definitely going to put RGB boxes in the menus, I just wanted to have a model using the extra player tint slot first so I wouldn't have to reorganise the menu to have space for 2 sets of RGB sliders later. I've just reorganised the RGB saber menu so that it's a popup of sliders in the normal saber menu when you click on the rgb icon (closed by clicking on the icon again), and I think I'll do something similar for RGB characters.

SXgegs4.png

It would be really good to include your jedi hm improved stuff @@DT85, but that would probably make it somewhere close to a very early release of JK:E rather than just my customisation stuff, so might need input from other people?

DT. and therfiles like this

@@redsaurus and @@eezstreet , I almost love you right now!!!!

Awesome for getting that working Redsaurus! The Tavion and Desann stances work well except for a few of their two-handed attacks. So they make good place holders.

Eez, I think it would be a great idea to make files to easily add new styles to the game!

I may go ahead and get that new pc now so I can use xsi.

Stoiss, Keyten and Circa like this

You'll have to edit the npc file (the lines are playerHeadModel and customHeadSkin).

To do more general swapping, I probably would need to do something similar to how JKG did the armour files (where the surfaces turned on/off were set in the equivalent of the .headswap files). The problem is that if the head/torso/lower models were all allowed to be different, there would be 4 models being "drawn" for a swapped model rather than 2 (or even 1 without swapping), and I'm not sure if that would cause problems. It's definitely a plan though.

• 2 weeks later...

To do more general swapping, I probably would need to do something similar to how JKG did the armour files (where the surfaces turned on/off were set in the equivalent of the .headswap files). The problem is that if the head/torso/lower models were all allowed to be different, there would be 4 models being "drawn" for a swapped model rather than 2 (or even 1 without swapping), and I'm not sure if that would cause problems. It's definitely a plan though.

It might if it's more than just the player (academy1 comes to mind since there's lots of NPCs). You might be able to save on performance considerably if you use one ghoul2 instance for the entire model as opposed to multiple instances. Each instance has multiple indexes (up to 4 if I recall what @@Xycaleth said to me correctly). It's important to note that the vertices aren't actually passed to the renderer in the case of a *off being used. However, each additional instance requires more processing to be done. Try using G2API_CopyTo (I think) and see if you can get good performance out of it - I don't think you'll get that much of a performance drop, in all honesty.

I would think the process would look something like:

- Load up base mesh

- Get all the extras that we need to handle, and load their GLM files as separate instances each

- Copy all of the instances into the base mesh instance, on a separate index

- Kill the extra instances

- On frame refresh, make sure all the extra indices are being copied over (for some reason I think it needs to clean up the instance and refresh for whatever reason, I can only speculate)

Wow... I can easily say that I absolutely Love this!! I've just downloaded and installed it on Windows Vista. I've come accross a couple of bugs. :) The first is, whenever my character gets killed in the game using the RGB saber + OJP saber... then on reload, he changes the saber color. However, on next level I play in the saber color returns to what it was. Second, when moving/walking/running around, I can see the edge of the trail of the saber sticking out about 5-6 pixels above the tip of the saber. Maybe you can fix this too? :) And... Third... not really a bug, but a small request :P Could you please add some cool ignition flare to the sabers as well? Keep up the good work. This mod is kick-ass and I absolutely Love it.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing... I forgot to tell. When I'm on Hoth, and saber is in use - the light bellow my character is completely black - and it spans around 2.5 character-lengths in radius. This disappears when I turn off the saber.

Well I'm not sure if it would look good to add a flare... maybe something like energy manifesting into the blade would be great, though. Just to add that reality feel.. :)

Sounds cool... but I prefer the flare :P

Anyhow... I've come accross another bug. I've been playing through SP with this mod, and here's where it stops for me:

After Rosh's defeat at Bast Castle and his two boyfriends who constatly keep healing him :P After this match, where you are supposed to choose

a new lightsaber - the menu crashes, giving me a black HUD and I got a menu not found message. I made a screenshot, but can't find the screenshot folder for the mod. <_< <_<

I remember this part of the game giving me similiar problems in the past. Well, maybe we can evade this problem if I tell you about it now; if I had a double-bladed lightsaber or dual sabers before and after this menu, if I chose a single lightsaber or double bladed one over dual sabers, sometimes the primary saber stays "in use" in the first map that loads up. You know what I mean? Like, I was holding a double bladed saber and a single one at the same time. If we're gonna make double and dual sabers availible from the start, we might want to consider this problem needing a solution. Then sometimes the walking animation broke and sometimes the player wasn't able to move or do anything at all.

Thanks for the feedback @@Angel Soul. I've fixed the sabercolour thing, that was due to using an older openjk revision. Also fixed head swaps not working properly when first changing to hoth. I can't reproduce the saber light being black atm, but I'm just devmapping hoth so that might be why. The custom saber stuff might be causing problems when choosing the new lightsaber, I don't think I made it work nicely with dual or staff sables, so will have to fix that. The trail being a bit off is probably just down to the image used for the trail, which is straight from the MP SFX sabers.

I can definitely see about adding some kind of activation effect (possibly optional).

Anything else that needs doing for the next release?

Angel Soul and DarthStiv like this

Sorry for the late reply guys. Was feeling a tad... lazy. :P:D Actually I was bit busy. :) Hehe

@ - ahhh okay. Will try that out too. :) Thanks.

No problem @@redsaurus. My pleasure. Allright, as it is now I don't know any other bugs. I have wishes for an optional activation flare though :) That would be neat.

And optional brighter saber cores (you know bigger - like Luke Skywalker's when he fought at the Besping Bridge vs Darth Vader in Episode V).

Like this in this video - from 5:07-5:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY

That's at least what I would like too see. @@Rooxon had also ideas of what you could add, earlier.

When you feel ready, you can make another download link, and I'll play through the game and see if there are any glitches. :)

Have a terrific weekend all!

GPChannel likes this