Xbox One announced

Yes, but that's not to say that they won't be forcing you to buy specific ones which work with the console. Also in the past there were known limits -> you could only have as high as 32GB on an external drive.

Yeah they probably will restrict them, it shows how much their already trying to make you buy more than one console with the small size hard drive size, the forced installations, the hints at new hardware additions later on...

Tbh, the Xbox is looking more crap each time there's more news about it. I will probably just get a PS4, and then get a cheap 360 for foxtel (pay TV in Aus) and old games. ;)

Tbh, the Xbox is looking more crap each time there's more news about it. I will probably just get a PS4, and then get a cheap 360 for foxtel (pay TV in Aus) and old games. ;)

I get getting a 360 for old games, but why get it for Foxtel? You're gonna have to pay an extra fee to use the internet connection for it anyways, so if you can get it on the PS4 why not do that and save money?

I get getting a 360 for old games, but why get it for Foxtel? You're gonna have to pay an extra fee to use the internet connection for it anyways, so if you can get it on the PS4 why not do that and save money?

It's not available on the PS3 so I don't see it being available for the PS4 either. There's no lock-in contracts on the 360 for it, I only need to pay for the channels I want month-to-month or I can just use 'on demand' which I pay for what I want to watch (ie movies, tv shows) right then and there. This is cheaper than a Foxtel set top box + dish and I don't have a samsung smart TV so I can't use the internet TV. I certainly won't choose an Xbox One just because of Foxtel that's for damn sure. My goal is to get Foxtel with minimal cost involved.  ;)

@ eez

Yeah I know. :\ Heck, we not long got our R18+ rating for games over here. Games like dead island & mortal kombat weren't available here before and you had to import them. Not to mention I tried to get Risen off Steam yesterday and it's STILL blocked in aus because of sexual content and drugs.

You aren't missing much, I hear Risen is a shit game. I don't know what Foxtel is, but if it's anything related to TV, Xbox One sounds like a decent option, since it's more TV oriented. No word on the proce of XBone though.

I'm a fan of the Gothic games, except for ArcaniA which Piranha Bytes didn't make. Gothic 3 was riddled with bugs due to JoWood forcing them to work with an unrealistic release date.

Foxtel is pay TV in aus. EB Games (aus) have both consoles at a placeholder price of $899 but I have no idea what that would translate anywhere else as we pay more for shit over here. :\

AshuraDX likes this

$899 is extremely high. I would expect them to sell for about $450 tops.

I'd say probably $500, but certainly not worth the placeholder fee. Especially considering you don't even know if they will honor the preorders. >.>

DT85: Yeah, I was just referring to the Xbox 360 fees in order to use apps like Netflix, Foxtel etc. But if it doesn't work on either Playstation then I guess you don't have much choice.

//Slightly off main discussion

Meh, everything is getting so advanced now and crazy (I'll just try and look at the TV and my eyes will implode). I almost wish they'd just update the current PS3/360. Maybe better performance and other stuff they never got to, like PS2 software emulation on the PS3 and wireless N-cards. (I'm a ps3 owner btw)

Maybe I'm just saying that though cuz the PS3 got hardly any support next to the 360. Games on both systems would generally look or perform slightly worse on the playstation, or wouldn't get as many DLCs etc.

It was beat too because I'm pretty sure hardware wise the PS3 was slightly more powerful, even though maybe it has to do with what I've heard that the ps3 Cell processor or whatever was harder to develop for.

$60 for a game is bullshit, everyone knows that 

You get the new big-release games for $60 in retail stores?

In Australia, we get them for $110.

Thankfully, I saw steam wallet cards in the local games retailer recently. Will definitely be buying one of those instead of paying shitty prices for games.

Although, that implies I would even care to buy all the crap new games that come out. I'd say CS:GO is probably only one of the recent games that I've really liked - and it's only $15 from steam.

When it comes down to it, the only company I see doing anything good in the games industry is Valve. They bring out mod support for (almost) every game they release, they update their games  and each are pretty much unique. They don't spew out the same shitty title over and over, which is what I feel like I see everyone else doing.

Older games are much more enjoyable than the new stuff that is coming out, aside from Valve's stuff and perhaps some indie game authors. 

tl;dr I'd take Quake 3 over Battlefield 3 any day.

Also new games lack strafejumping.

Mog likes this

Saw this earlier. Too late Microsoft.

While at this point I don't consider anyone who buys an Xbox One a fool, as previously stated, I still highly recommend people do not purchase the product. Just saying "We tried to scam you and got caught so we changed it." isn't good enough, they still tried and that's enough for me to say no. That and the fact that although you don't NEED to be online, let's get real - how many of us ARE going to be online with our consoles whenever they are on? My PS3 is always connected to the internet (when it's on), otherwise I couldn't use Netflix, the Playstation Store, etc. So even though you are not forced to always be connected, I still don't like the idea of making the camera a mandatory part of the system which can still easily be hacked if I'm online...

Onysfx likes this

It's a conspiracy man. Microsoft tricked EA into thinking they no longer needed online passes. That's why they reverted it later, man. They wanted people to still buy it. Microsoft's looking out for you man, even if they are sharing your information with the government, man. If corporations are arguing like this, it's a sign that The Man is weakening, man. It's not just good for the consumer, but everyone in general.

*trips on acid for a while, and later recovers to find this post written in JKHub*

Uh..oh...hey, right. Anyway, Micro$oft already pretty much lost. People have already probably preordered their console or know what they're going to buy. They ditched the family share plan, which is originally quite disappointing.

Going to mention Angry Joe again, he did a recent interview with an M$ representative. The smug bastard pretty much said "Does Steam have a family share plan? Well, there you go, we'll take your money now." and when Joe said "Well..I mean is the check really necessary? I mean is that not something that can be removed? It seems pretty unnecessary..." and the guy replied "Are you a developer? Do you know about that for sure?"...yeah...looks a bit like a jackass now.

I haven't had anything against Xbox prior to One, only thing I hate is that you have to pay for Gamertag changes, which is completely asinine. I'm actually going to be rebuilding an Xbox 360 at some point, and I like the interface and stuff it's just that I've completely lost any faith in Micro$oft as a serious developer in any regard after Windows 8 and Xbox One.

Botdra and Onysfx like this

@@Botdra; I actually don't have the internet at my apartment. I could afford it and the service is available, but I choose to not get it. So my PS3 is never online. I'll take it to my parents house once every couple of months to get a couple of demos or download an indie game, but otherwise I'm perfectly happy to play offline.

So the one-time online activation is still a turn off for me. With the ps3 I was able to make a profile and start playing games without an internet connection.

@@Botdra; I actually don't have the internet at my apartment. I could afford it and the service is available, but I choose to not get it. So my PS3 is never online. I'll take it to my parents house once every couple of months to get a couple of demos or download an indie game, but otherwise I'm perfectly happy to play offline.

So the one-time online activation is still a turn off for me. With the ps3 I was able to make a profile and start playing games without an internet connection.

Fair enough, but I'm sure the majority runs it online like I do. I'm perfectly happy playing games offline, but we use the PS3 for Netflix, DVD and Blu-Ray as our entertainment unit in our family room, so we kind of have to have it set up like that.

I totally agree that the majority do; though I do wonder if there are numbers of users with and without constant internet.

I've thought about getting internet and if I ever do I'll definetly have my ps3/4 connected full time. Unless I need it offline for certain events like in Demon's Souls.