Xbox One announced

ibonek, on 22 May 2013 - 00:23, said:

I never said I thought they were making anything revolutionary to it. Sure, some of the features seem pointless, but little things add up. If they didn't talk about them at all, then were we to just assume those things? If they presented it in such an exaggerated way as you claim, then I agree, that is quite silly, but maybe it was to get the audience more excited about it.

You may be right about they waited to see what the PS4 had, but I think that's a good thing. The console wars (or any other product) are always like this. Competition is good for us consumers, that's for sure.

I wasn't claiming you said it was revolutionary, Microsoft did. That's the problem, all they did was little things. VERY little things, in my opinion. Trying to get an audience more excited about nothing is still a presentation about nothing. It is a good thing to wait after the PS4 conference, a very smart business move, but again claiming it as revolutionary and like it's exclusive to the Xbox One is just lying, really.

Mog, on 22 May 2013 - 09:37, said:

Hmm....it's a given that any "Xbox" can play games....this console is doing something that's new, and that's the integration of entertainment. The PS3 and PSP both tried that with little success. PC had done this, but remains expensive to the average person. It's a GIVEN that the Xbox One can play games. The true purpose of that reveal is to demonstrate the integration features that the One brings to the table. Gameplay is, and will be reserved when E3 comes along. That was promised by the Xbox Team; Gameplay capability would be demonstrated at E3 at it's fullest potential. This is a teaser for things to come. Now quit bitching and wait for E3, then you can truly bitch and complain.

No one is asking if it can play games, Mog... People are complaining because a game system should be revolutionizing gaming. If they want to integrate all other areas of entertainment of course that's awesome, but we're seeing less and less attention on gaming and gamers, and more attention on sales and profits. It's a business, so it's bound to happen, but no longer are they saying "We should serve the gamers (or customers, rather), that'll make us more money." Instead, they are saying "Let's give them as little as possible for as much as possible to ensure we make a profit."

Integration of entertainment is new? Surely you must be joking. The Wii could play games (Wii and Gamecube), play some TV channels (sports mostly), watch YouTube and I could watch Netflix. Xbox 360 has games, movies, music, photos, SmartGlass, HDTV streaming, and photos. The PS3 allows me to game, stream live TV, watch Netflix, YouTube, use a web browser, edit video, play the PS3 on my PSP or PS Vita, watch DVD's, watch Blu-Ray, look at photos, and listen to music. Please tell me again how integration of entertainment is new, and how Sony "tried with little success". The only new features of integration the Xbox One is showing are that you can look up NBA stats while watching the game, and you can switch with voice commands instead of pressing buttons. To be fair, being able to plug my TV box right into my Xbox would be a neat idea, but again I could also just press "Input > Input 4" on my remote.

If you really think I don't have a right to bitch and complain over what they've shown (most notably the "anti-used games"/"anti-borrowing games"/"anti-group buy games" fees and restrictions) then you're not listening.

I shall break the rules of internet properness to bring up a more detailed pro and con of Xbox One....with logical input...

Pros

• Integrates entertainment into one powerful platform, and from the looks of things, seems to do this flawlessly (This has been done before)
  • The ability to do two things at once ON A CONSOLE is a great idea, gives console players the benefits of PC gaming...on a console (PS4 can do that too)
  • Obviously, the processing power....everyone bitches about just the RAM thing...they forget that it has a very powerful processor that if I'm not mistaken, is more powerful than what the PS4 has. (I don't know if that's true, so I can't say anything about this)
  • Xbox One actually exists in the tech flesh....not just a blurred trailer like what we got for the PS4 (That is not confirmed at all. They showed a display model, and ran what seemed to be a lot of pre-recorded footage for demonstration purposes. And showing one feature of the Xbox live and working, doesn't mean the system works. It means they can show a quick proof of concept.)
  • Despite everyone saying that it can't play used games...Major Nelson stated that it can, and most likely will, due to retail complaints (The issue has nothing to do with if it can run used games... read again. The issue is that if I buy a used game, I have to pay Microsoft another fee on top of that to use it. Also, if my sister comes home with a game and plays it, I can't play it without either playing it on her account (which is a huge pain for anyone who wants to play online) or paying MORE money to use it on my account)
  • Opens up the opportunity for more app integration, meaning more multimedia capability can be brought to consoles. (A very vague statement that means nothing considering the PS4 does all the same things.)
  • Still going to be cheaper than a Gaming PC (So is the PS4.)

Cons

• Will most likely be more expensive than the PS4 (guess) (Probably, but they aren't doing well right now against Sony, so they may make it cheaper just to have the competitive edge.)
  • Although it doesn't require to be "always online", you can't play offline forever (Online always is going to be a developer choice, so it's not COMPLETELY a con, just for those games that do require it. It also says these games will have always online features, so doesn't necessarily mean bad things)
  • Possibility that games will be more "on demand" rather than retail...something the PSP Go did with epic failure. (The PSP Go has solid ratings as a console. It's failure was more about the fact that we didn't need another Sony portable system.)
  • Uh...EA is going to fuck something up...I`m sure of it. (We all saw that coming ;) )
  • The controller is bulky looking..here`s hoping it`s lightweight (It looks the same as the 360 one to me, more or less. Microsofts controllers are some of the few things they got right, so I'm sure it'll be fine.)
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts.....fuck no (Yup.)

There you go....now can we please stop arguing and lashing out at people like mindless children...

I shall break the rules of internet properness to bring up a more detailed pro and con of Xbox One....with logical input...

Pros

• Integrates entertainment into one powerful platform, and from the looks of things, seems to do this flawlessly

Question: If the Xbox One is supposed to be an all-in-one platform and provide me with cable TV/Netflix/all that, then why isn't Microsoft an ISP? After all, it provides cable TV but requires Internet... What about all the more money I'm going to be spending by not bundling cable/internet/phone OR being forced to pay a monthly fee for a service that I don't use at any rate.

Food for thought.

• The ability to do two things at once ON A CONSOLE is a great idea, gives console players the benefits of PC gaming...on a console

PS3 had the ability to download things in the background, ergo not at all revolutionary.

• Obviously, the processing power....everyone bitches about just the RAM thing...they forget that it has a very powerful processor that if I'm not mistaken, is more powerful than what the PS4 has.

Thing is, they break it into cores, and each core only clocks at half the speed of an Xbox 360. An app has to be multithreaded in order to take advantage of the cores properly, and you also have to consider that, being an APU type architecture, the cores are shared between GPU and CPU in a sense.

I'm lead on to believe that this is patently false at any rate, PS4 and Xbox One have the same number and type of cores. There's no evidence as far as I can tell that the processor in either one is better or worse than the other, as they're both labelled as "8-core AMD APU". Real descriptive, that.

Memory is a lot more important than you think. Consoles have always been hampered with poor memory problems, as many console devs have told me. Once you figure that the PS4 has GDDR5 RAM, and the Xbox One reserves 3GB of RAM for OS/dashboard specific stuff (so really the 8GB is a misnomer, games can only take advantage of the 5GB), it becomes obvious why everyone is bitching about the RAM issue on the Xbox One. PS4 I don't think reserves the 3GB for OS stuff, but then again it might (but then again, it also isn't running 3 bloody OSes on the same console).

• Xbox One actually exists in the tech flesh....not just a blurred trailer like what we got for the PS4

Or so you think. It could just be a case or 3D printed design for all we know. There's no video evidence of them turning on the console and using it, to my knowledge, just some gameplay videos, I think.

• Despite everyone saying that it can't play used games...Major Nelson stated that it can, and most likely will, due to retail complaints

What they've said about the matter suggests that reselling will be limited to Xbox Live or GameStop, and people will pay a small fee to compensate. So no more trading games with friends, etc.

• Opens up the opportunity for more app integration, meaning more multimedia capability can be brought to consoles.

Just what we need...Angry Birds for consoles.

• Still going to be cheaper than a Gaming PC

No word on how much it costs, though, so for all we know it might not be the case. Though, new Windows/Android (going to ignore Apple's overpriced nonsense for a sec here) phones sell for like what, $299 now? Those also use the concept of an APU if I'm not mistaken, and have a lot less storage space, memory and so on. I'm hesitant to claim that it'll be any less than $500 for any next-gen console aside from Wii [f]U[ck this shit]

Cons

• Will most likely be more expensive than the PS4 (guess)

Possibly, but see what I wrote above.

• Possibility that games will be more "on demand" rather than retail...something the PSP Go did with epic failure.

Worked fine with the PSP Go. Nobody bought the Go though because of the big mobile phone thing.

• Uh...EA is going to fuck something up...I`m sure of it.

loel sports gaems

• The controller is bulky looking..here`s hoping it`s lightweight

Yeah, the Xbox 360 controller can feel big after a while. My sister complains that it's too big, but I have bigger hands than her, so.. yeah. I like how they actually made the controller bigger instead of smaller. Real good listening to consumer feedback there, Mikersoft.

• Call of Duty: Ghosts.....fuck no

Actually looks pretty decent compared to MW3, and again, it isn't an Xbox exclusive.

---------------

I'd like to add another con to this list:

- Paid Internet usage (Xbox Live Gold) still mandatory

Playstation Plus was an extreme bargain for people that paid for it..as I can recall, you got 12 free games instantly after signing up, and those games cycle and you get new games all the time. The longer you're a member, the more free games you get. And these aren't like small games either, as I recall they gave out copies of PAYDAY: The Heist and LittleBigPlanet. Also you got pretty awesome bargains for games on PSN and some exclusive content, but not much. Also Playstation Plus got you some DLC for free.

Botdra and Sentra like this

I'd like to add another con to this list:

- Paid Internet usage (Xbox Live Gold) still mandatory

Playstation Plus was an extreme bargain for people that paid for it..as I can recall, you got 12 free games instantly after signing up, and those games cycle and you get new games all the time. The longer you're a member, the more free games you get. And these aren't like small games either, as I recall they gave out copies of PAYDAY: The Heist and LittleBigPlanet. Also you got pretty awesome bargains for games on PSN and some exclusive content, but not much. Also Playstation Plus got you some DLC for free.

I got my PS3 this past Xmas as a gift, it came with Playstation Plus. I have 23 games for PS3, I only bought 7 of them. The rest were free full games on PS+. Not just crappy indie games, I'm talking the newest Ratchet and Clank, Sleeping Dogs, Uncharted, etc. People argue that it's more like payed rentals... if you don't renew your subscription you lose the games. Yeah, but you can also let your subscription run out, then later on renew it and have access to all those games again. If you don't need to play those games, then end your subscription. It's that simple. I really like Playstation Plus for that. I'm downloaded hundreds of dollars worth of games for free, for the price of the subscription, which is $49.99 a year. And because my subscription came free with my bundle, I didn't even pay that fee. I just paid for the console and the games that came with it.

CoD Ghosts is using the best visuals I've seen in a game. The fact it can have insane polycounts, better lighting & higher texture resolutions, is just awesome. BF5 should have this by the time it comes out. ;)

Xbox one has some sweet features, but really looks like a VCR.

prepares for people going nuts

Circa likes this

CoD Ghosts is using the best visuals I've seen in a game. The fact it can have insane polycounts, better lighting & higher texture resolutions, is just awesome. BF5 should have this by the time it comes out. ;)

prepares for people going nuts

Agreed.

@: The graphics are great, but as eezstreet said, look at Crysis 3. *shrugs* Also, notice how at 0:48 in that video they talk about Sub-D, allowing "perfectly smooth curves. Now look at the top of the helmet. A perfectly smooth curve. Next, they show a character model. Look at the top of the helmet. Very blocky, not a smooth curve at all. This just  goes to show they can easily show you tech demos of awesome graphics, but when it comes to the reality of the finished game, these are not going to be implemented to the extent you expect. What you CAN do, has never been the same as what the system can handle. If you pay close attention to what's happened in the past with games like CoD, you'll know that while beautiful, they are never QUITE as promised graphically. Plus - come on. The graphics of Ghosts have nothing to do with the Xbox, and everything to do with Xbox AND PS4. The graphics differences will probably be extremely little, if at all.

@@DT85: Play Crysis 3 on max settings. Hell, even look at what eezstreet posted. Old tech? Please. I also don't know why the higher polycounts and higher resolution textures make it so much more awesome when - again - we all knew that ALL the games on the next gen consoles were going to high higher polycounts and higher resolutions for textures. This isn't exclusive to Ghosts.

@: The graphics are great, but as eezstreet said, look at Crysis 3. *shrugs* Also, notice how at 0:48 in that video they talk about Sub-D, allowing "perfectly smooth curves. Now look at the top of the helmet. A perfectly smooth curve. Next, they show a character model. Look at the top of the helmet. Very blocky, not a smooth curve at all. This just  goes to show they can easily show you tech demos of awesome graphics, but when it comes to the reality of the finished game, these are not going to be implemented to the extent you expect. What you CAN do, has never been the same as what the system can handle. If you pay close attention to what's happened in the past with games like CoD, you'll know that while beautiful, they are never QUITE as promised graphically. Plus - come on. The graphics of Ghosts have nothing to do with the Xbox, and everything to do with Xbox AND PS4. The graphics differences will probably be extremely little, if at all.

I was impressed with every CoD graphically, with each release. It gets better and better. Same with other games. They aren't comparing Ghosts with other games like Crysis, they're comparing it to their previous game, MW3. They even call the engine the "Call of Duty engine". They never once mention any outside games or engines. I didn't really see anything blocky, it was a totally different helmet.

Play Crysis 3 on max settings. Hell, even look at what eezstreet posted. Old tech? Please. I also don't know why the higher polycounts and higher resolution textures make it so much more awesome when - again - we all knew that ALL the games on the next gen consoles were going to high higher polycounts and higher resolutions for textures. This isn't exclusive to Ghosts.

It is within the CoD series.

I was impressed with every CoD graphically, with each release. It gets better and better. Same with other games. They aren't comparing Ghosts with other games like Crysis, they're comparing it to their previous game, MW3. They even call the engine the "Call of Duty engine". They never once mention any outside games or engines. I didn't really see anything blocky, it was a totally different helmet.

I was too, they were nice. Not blow-every-other-game-out-of-the-water nice, but they were always nice, polished games visually that were a step up for sure. Problem is, you can deny it all you want, but the announcement is more about selling the Xbox One than it is about promoting Ghosts. What other games did they show for as long as CoD? None, not even close. They're using Ghosts to market to the hardcore gamers so that they will BUY THE XBOX ONE. That's why they are acting like all of this is some major breakthrough. It's going to be for PS4, but you don't see Sony talk about the game, and definitely not to that extent, because they aren't trying to get people to buy the system because of CoD. They're trying to get you to buy the system because of all the awesome games they showed at their reveal, and their exclusives.

It is blocky, come on. Compare that helmet to the one right before it and tell me there isn't a clear difference. Why does the fact that it's a totally different helmet matter AT ALL? That's a rubbish excuse, and that's the point I'm making. You go "Oh wow, look at how perfect those curves are" and everyone talks up how great the curves are going to be, and then everyone buys the game and you don't see those perfect curves because while they can do it with just one helmet, having dozens of guys on screen is too much for the engine, so they make the helmets blockier again. Smoother than last generation? Probably. As they promised in their "gameplay videos"? Highly doubtful.

It is within the CoD series.

It is within the Mortal Kombat series too. And the Battlefield Series. Any any freaking series that will have a game on the next gen consoles. You can talk about semantics all you want, but at the end of the day their just using all this talk in the hopes that people forget about the fact that this is totally happening on the PS4 too, and that people will go "Microsoft showed this awesome trailer about Ghosts' graphics, I want an Xbox One!"

Let me clarify: When saying Crysis is old tech, I thought that Darth Futuza meant Crysis 1 and I have no idea why lol. :P

Anyways, I'm more excited for the CoD game than for Xbox One or PS4. Right now, I want an Xbox One but this is may change once it's closer to the end of the year and we know everything about both consoles.

Also, I think the reason Sony didn't really use CoD the same way as MS is due to EA having nothing to show at that point when they did their lame PS4 reveal lol. Btw Botra, are you a Sony fanboy? And before you say I'm an MS fanboy, I traded in my 360 for a PS3. :P

When you say lame PS4 reveal, I hope you mean EA and not Sony.

I don't get why people think this is a good idea. Who thinks Microsoft deserves money just to be allowed to access the internet on your Xbox? They aren't an ISP, I already paid for my internet, I already paid for my Xbox, I already paid for my game, I already paid for Netflix, I don't even need to pay for YouTube, and yet I have to pay Microsoft of all people to use all those things. That's fucking bullshit.

Also, if I buy a game and play it, and my buddy wants to try it, he can't. I can give him the disc and he can install the game, sure! Why not! Oh yeah, but he has to pay FULL RETAIL PRICE FOR THE GAME BEFORE HE CAN PLAY IT. Why the hell should he have to pay for that? Apparently trading games is PIRACY. Loaning games is PIRACY. Buying a USED GAME isn't piracy, but we don't make as much money off of it because it's used... well then, LET'S MAKE USED GAME PRICES NON-EXISTENT. The dumbest part is that the disc is worth nothing at all then. You could simply by the digital download and pay for the license on another console, the disc is worth NOTHING at this point, and they're charging you for the disc and packaging when you DO NOT NEED THE DISC TO RUN THE GAME. You MUST install the game before playing it, so the entire thing is on your console, making the disc pointless (Again, why not make it a digital download?) and yet you still have to pay for the disc and packaging. $60 for a game is bullshit, everyone knows that, and Steam was what introduced the whole concept of "Sure, we'll give you digital downloads without the disc so you don't have to pay for it for a lot of games." Then companies yelled at them because they wanted to make money. So Steam says "Alright, we'll make the games full price again." Why is no one complaining about this? Because during the first month any major titles comes out they put it on sale for half price! And if you miss it, wait until one of the big Steam sales (summer, Christmas, Halloween, not to mention the daily deals) and you can buy that game plus 10 more of them for $60!!

Microsoft is greedy, and this is becoming a political argument just as much as a gaming argument. Game companies are continuing to make you pay more for less. When's the last time you played a game you got 150 hours of ORIGINAL content in? Hmm? Skyrim? And before that? The original Legend of Zelda for the NES? Yup, sounds about right.

I strongly believe that anyone who goes out and buys an Xbox One is a complete fool, and is just as much a part of screwing over the gaming industry as the companies are. YOU are the customer, when YOU buy into this bullshit you are telling companies it's okay for them to charge enormous fees for NO GOD DAMN REASON. Your fault. Why anyone thinks it's worth supporting a greedy corporation just so they can play CoD on their shitty big screen TV is beyond any form of logic or common sense.

Astral Serpent likes this

Lol this is hilarious, I love you fanboys! You obviously think the PS4 is god's invisible (yeah that's right! we have no idea what it looks like!) gift to gamers. :P

PS4 is also doing the no used games, infact it was announced first so no reason to leave it out. ;)

Xbox One has about the same performance (according to various sites) as the PS4, but does alot more than 'just play games' which is the way things are today. Most people want more than just a gaming console. The PS4 lacks a controllerless gameplay/console, and Sony just love to ripoff others ( PS Move anyone? :P ). At least MS is making a gamble and trying to bring some new ideas albeit an ugly box-like design.

I've owned both consoles, and I love my PS3 but I think this time I may just go the other way for more features. Call me a fool, whatever but you're also a fool for thinking the PS4 is the best thing since sliced bread and it can do no wrong. Both consoles have their flaws, it's down to features for some and exclusive games for most.

Angry Joe's rant video was clearly from a Sony fanboy who had too much sugar. He was blurting out semi-correct stuff about the whole used game thing. Nowhere in the reveal (yes I watched it all) did anyone say about you can't run used games. Several sites have said Xbox One doesn't care about used games though it's yet to be said how they are exactly handling it. PS4 however, has been said to flat out not allow used games.

I like the kinect tbh. The whole idea of controllerless play appeals to me (if done right of course), not to mention voice commands and gestures to navigate the menu. But look, take away the kinect and I'd have a very hard time choosing.

I'm deciding to not choose a console now and just wait until it comes time to buy one and then make an informed decision on all the facts we have at that time which should be ALOT more than now. ;)

Circa likes this

Looks like a very expensive alarm clock I could get at the Sharper Image the next time I go to the US. Not me, I stopped at the PS3. No more money from me. I had my hopes on the Steambox to be honest. The idea of having Gabe Newell behind something like a gaming console promised a lot more than a bunch of stock holder, ass scratching, egomaniacs running Sony or Microsoft. I like nerds making stuff for nerds, they usually put good ideas in front of economic decisions.

DT. and Botdra like this

Let me clarify: When saying Crysis is old tech, I thought that Darth Futuza meant Crysis 1 and I have no idea why lol. :P

You know you have somewhat of a point though CryEngine3 is starting to get a little old, I know they are working on new stuff and wouldn't be surprised if they start hinting at CryEngine4 next year.

JKG Developer

Angry Joe's rant video was clearly from a Sony fanboy who had too much sugar.

Wrong, he's always been prone to the Xbox 360. In his Metro: Last Light review he was clearly using a 360 controller, and he always does PC to Xbox comparisons. He even talked about going to PC over just buying a PS4.

He was blurting out semi-correct stuff about the whole used game thing. Nowhere in the reveal (yes I watched it all) did anyone say about you can't run used games. Several sites have said Xbox One doesn't care about used games though it's yet to be said how they are exactly handling it. PS4 however, has been said to flat out not allow used games.

Zero evidence that the PS4 doesn't support used games. Sony said outright that the PS4 will play used games despite them creating a patent to the contrary. I have a few reasons why this might be:

1. To throw off Microsoft and convince them to do it "as well"

2. To prevent anyone else from doing this, because it's evil.

It was never mentioned in the actual reveal. A Microsoft interviewer after the show confirmed no used games, and a Polygon article confirmed always online. Aldo there's that Micheal Ork prick too, which is enough evidence on its own merit.

I like the kinect tbh. The whole idea of controllerless play appeals to me (if done right of course), not to mention voice commands and gestures to navigate the menu. But look, take away the kinect and I'd have a very hard time choosing.

Speaking of Angry Joe, check out how frustrating of a time he had with Kinect Star Wars and Sonic Freeriders

I'm deciding to not choose a console now and just wait until it comes time to buy one and then make an informed decision on all the facts we have at that time which should be ALOT more than now. ;)

Fair enough.
Botdra likes this