Xbox One announced

Lol this is hilarious, I love you fanboys! You obviously think the PS4 is god's invisible (yeah that's right! we have no idea what it looks like!) gift to gamers. :P

PS4 is also doing the no used games, infact it was announced first so no reason to leave it out. ;)

Xbox One has about the same performance (according to various sites) as the PS4, but does alot more than 'just play games' which is the way things are today. Most people want more than just a gaming console. The PS4 lacks a controllerless gameplay/console, and Sony just love to ripoff others ( PS Move anyone? :P ). At least MS is making a gamble and trying to bring some new ideas albeit an ugly box-like design.

I've owned both consoles, and I love my PS3 but I think this time I may just go the other way for more features. Call me a fool, whatever but you're also a fool for thinking the PS4 is the best thing since sliced bread and it can do no wrong. Both consoles have their flaws, it's down to features for some and exclusive games for most.

I'm a PC guy, actually. And when it comes to consoles I always buy a Nintendo first. I own all the consoles and I'm still a Nintendo guy at heart. Pull out lame school-yard insults all you want but that doesn't make you look any more intelligent. Calling someone a fanboy is idiotic, because you're dismissing their argument based on the fact that they like a console. You're just as much of an Xbox fanboy then, aren't you? Obviously someone arguing their side is a "fan" of what they're arguing for, that's called common sense. Come back when you have an argument with evidence and not insults, kid.

That's complete bull, they haven't said anything more on the topic other than "We want to serve the developers and gamers so we will do the right thing". You do not have proof to back that up, we have people speculating because they've said things like "Digital only games" with a few of them using discs, which would SAVE US MONEY. This would still mean that at the very least everyone on the same console could play those games, unlike Microsoft's idea. There was a patent everyone got up in arms about because it has an ID in the disc and an ID of the player account and they are then checked to see if the game is allowed to run. This doesn't not mean they are doing the same as Microsoft. This could be checking any number of things on the console or the player account. They've made all the previous statements before the Xbox One reveal, and then their stock went up 10% and there was an incredible amount of outrage from gamers. Only an idiot would then go "Hey, we should do that too." I can guarantee you whatever Sony does it will still be better than what Microsoft does.

Right, because the PS4 ONLY plays games. Right. Because it doesn't have Netflix, or YouTube, or a built-in browser, or a DVD player, or a Blu-Ray player, or hey - something Microsoft doesn't have - GAME DEVELOPMENT, ON THE CONSOLE. Yes, it lacks controllerless gameplay, which is a smart move. They tried the PS Eye before Microsoft ever did Kinect (How's that for ripping people off?) and after years of trying people weren't interested in it. Then Microsoft did Kinect, and how many people bought it? A half-decent amount, more than those who bought the Eye but not by much. You could easily justify that by A) More people are buying consoles this generation than the last generation and B ) Sony started to back out of the endeavor and didn't advertise it anymore. Just because they don't have it, doesn't mean it's a bad move. Most people don't want controllerless gameplay. Most people didn't want motion controls either which is why Nintendo's numbers were awful until about the end of this consoles generation when people said "I'm bored, might as well try the Nintendo games I missed out on." Oh, they're bringing in new ideas? Please, tell me how the Kinect is such a huge breakthrough for gaming and how no one has done it before. *Cough* PSEye *Cough*

Regarding the PSMove, yes it was a copy of Nintendo's motion controls. Why? Because people asked for motion controls. Heaven forbid a company actually listen to their customers. With the PS4 however, it's greatly surpassed what the Wii motion controls ever did! We're talking accurate drawing, puppetry, sculpting, you name it. So I say hey, if you can do it better then do it. The Kinect however, was NOT an improvement to most people.

Actually, you're wrong. I'm not a fool because I don't think it's the greatest thing ever, nor do I think it's free of flaws, my issue is firstly all the claims you're making are - for the most part - incorrect and misinformed. Some of them are just flat out bull. My second issue is that it doesn't take a genius to see they are scamming the gamers. Put everything aside, forget everything about the two consoles, forget about which console is better. It boils down to this: You have a company forcing you to pay money without providing you anything in return.

Again, throw around the claim of "fanboy" all you want, facts are facts and you're clearly not seeing them.

Ory'Hara likes this

I'm a PC guy, actually. And when it comes to consoles I always buy a Nintendo first. I own all the consoles and I'm still a Nintendo guy at heart. Pull out lame school-yard insults all you want but that doesn't make you look any more intelligent. Calling someone a fanboy is idiotic, because you're dismissing their argument based on the fact that they like a console. You're just as much of an Xbox fanboy then, aren't you? Obviously someone arguing their side is a "fan" of what they're arguing for, that's called common sense. Come back when you have an argument with evidence and not insults, kid.

That's complete bull, they haven't said anything more on the topic other than "We want to serve the developers and gamers so we will do the right thing". You do not have proof to back that up, we have people speculating because they've said things like "Digital only games" with a few of them using discs, which would SAVE US MONEY. This would still mean that at the very least everyone on the same console could play those games, unlike Microsoft's idea. There was a patent everyone got up in arms about because it has an ID in the disc and an ID of the player account and they are then checked to see if the game is allowed to run. This doesn't not mean they are doing the same as Microsoft. This could be checking any number of things on the console or the player account. They've made all the previous statements before the Xbox One reveal, and then their stock went up 10% and there was an incredible amount of outrage from gamers. Only an idiot would then go "Hey, we should do that too." I can guarantee you whatever Sony does it will still be better than what Microsoft does.

Right, because the PS4 ONLY plays games. Right. Because it doesn't have Netflix, or YouTube, or a built-in browser, or a DVD player, or a Blu-Ray player, or hey - something Microsoft doesn't have - GAME DEVELOPMENT, ON THE CONSOLE. Yes, it lacks controllerless gameplay, which is a smart move. They tried the PS Eye before Microsoft ever did Kinect (How's that for ripping people off?) and after years of trying people weren't interested in it. Then Microsoft did Kinect, and how many people bought it? A half-decent amount, more than those who bought the Eye but not by much. You could easily justify that by A) More people are buying consoles this generation than the last generation and B ) Sony started to back out of the endeavor and didn't advertise it anymore. Just because they don't have it, doesn't mean it's a bad move. Most people don't want controllerless gameplay. Most people didn't want motion controls either which is why Nintendo's numbers were awful until about the end of this consoles generation when people said "I'm bored, might as well try the Nintendo games I missed out on." Oh, they're bringing in new ideas? Please, tell me how the Kinect is such a huge breakthrough for gaming and how no one has done it before. *Cough* PSEye *Cough*

Regarding the PSMove, yes it was a copy of Nintendo's motion controls. Why? Because people asked for motion controls. Heaven forbid a company actually listen to their customers. With the PS4 however, it's greatly surpassed what the Wii motion controls ever did! We're talking accurate drawing, puppetry, sculpting, you name it. So I say hey, if you can do it better then do it. The Kinect however, was NOT an improvement to most people.

Actually, you're wrong. I'm not a fool because I don't think it's the greatest thing ever, nor do I think it's free of flaws, my issue is firstly all the claims you're making are - for the most part - incorrect and misinformed. Some of them are just flat out bull. My second issue is that it doesn't take a genius to see they are scamming the gamers. Put everything aside, forget everything about the two consoles, forget about which console is better. It boils down to this: You have a company forcing you to pay money without providing you anything in return.

Again, throw around the claim of "fanboy" all you want, facts are facts and you're clearly not seeing them.

QFEMOT :D

This is heating up really fast, and we are talking about something someone wants to sell you regardless of what your feelings towards that are. Basically, while we are insulting each other they're laughing their asses off while having long lunch meetings with each other with our money. "Can you believe all the bullshit I said at the presentation?" "Don't start, I thought I wasn't going to be able to beat you this time, but I came up with better bullshit didn't I" "Ha ha ha, yes you did... yes you did". That's what really happens. In the middle, a lot of engineers suffer poor management decisions until come up with the worst looking console possible.

DT. and Futuza like this

Lol.  Maybe y'all should just play a match of JKG against each other and whoever wins, gets to be right.  That'll solve the argument, right?

But yeah...I think this discussion would probably be better postponed until we can actually buy the things and compare them.

DT. likes this

JKG Developer

I never understood arguments around which console is better or which OS is better, etc. If you were involved in the design of it and you want to defend your choices I would understand things heating up. But when our only involvement is deciding which one to buy and what games to play, it doesn't make any sense to get emotional about it.

Circa likes this

There was a patent everyone got up in arms about because it has an ID in the disc and an ID of the player account and they are then checked to see if the game is allowed to run. This doesn't not mean they are doing the same as Microsoft. This could be checking any number of things on the console or the player account. 

Sony is also:

1. a record company

2. a software company

3. a MP3 player/media player company

4. a company that makes DVD players

Literally everything I've mentioned here, plus a gaming console build company, would work under the principle of the patent. It's kinda hasty to assume that this patent has anything to do with the PS4.

Also, wikipedia provided me with some links:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games

Botdra likes this

Lol.  Maybe y'all should just play a match of JKG against each other and whoever wins, gets to be right.  That'll solve the argument, right?

But yeah...I think this discussion would probably be better postponed until we can actually buy the things and compare them.

That's the issue. Everyone thinks this is about which console is better. That argument is stupid. While you think I may be trying to say PS4 is better, I'm not. I'm simply shutting down false claims about what it can and can't do. My MAIN POINT is that the consoles don't matter, the games don't matter, what matters is what it all boils down to: A major company is forcing you to pay money without giving you anything in return. This could be Sears, this could be Apple, this could be my favorite guitar manufacturer and I'd still be making the same arguments and have the same stance on the issue - it's just wrong. This has nothing to do with the damn consoles.

Ory'Hara likes this

Fair enough Botra, I certainly take back calling you a Sony fanboy then. All I care about is playing games & watching movies on a device that can play games. My PC can do this, but I'd rather sit in my living room than on my PC's chair.

I have one thing to say though. I say I like kinect as in what 2.0 can do, as 1.0 was a complete letdown in terms of being able to play games with it. 2.0 may be as well, we will just have to see. ;)

But honestly, you guys have put me on the fence of what I will choose come Xmas time. It will most likely come down to game exclusives for me and Halo just doesn't grab my attention enough. I'm just glad Australia FINALLY got an R18+ rating for games.

Fair enough Botra, I certainly take back calling you a Sony fanboy then. All I care about is playing games & watching movies on a device that can play games. My PC can do this, but I'd rather sit in my living room than on my PC's chair.

I have one thing to say though. I say I like kinect as in what 2.0 can do, as 1.0 was a complete letdown in terms of being able to play games with it. 2.0 may be as well, we will just have to see. ;)

But honestly, you guys have put me on the fence of what I will choose come Xmas time. It will most likely come down to game exclusives for me and Halo just doesn't grab my attention enough. I'm just glad Australia FINALLY got an R18+ rating for games.

Cheers, I appreciate that. And personally I'm the opposite, I care more about the company and what they stand for more than the games. Most of the Xbox One games that come out as "exclusives" are probably going to be on PC as well, so I couldn't care less about missing out on Halo, for example. There's hundreds of games for me to enjoy, I don't care about what system they are on or which games they are to be honest, I just want to be able to play games I enjoy.

I'm sure the Kinect will be better, but who knows to what extent.

Australia? You have my condolences. :P At least you finally got it.

DT. likes this

Fair enough Botra, I certainly take back calling you a Sony fanboy then. All I care about is playing games & watching movies on a device that can play games. My PC can do this, but I'd rather sit in my living room than on my PC's chair.

Why play games and watch movies on a device that charges you a monthly fee to play games online? Seems pretty clear cut that the PS4 is a better choice, and a lot of the exclusives for PS4 sound really good, like Diablo 3 (NO MORE REAL MONEY AUCTION HOUSE OR FORCED ONLINE MODE WOOT) and Drive Club (finally, a game that does this sort of thing well..). Microsoft exclusives on the other hand... another entry in the tired Halo and Gears of War series. Or I guess the rather timid Alan Wake. Or wait, that game where it was basically just all walking and stuff? Yeah, that one. I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

My money is with Sony on movies as well, since they are, among things, a dedicated DVD/Blu-Ray player manufacturer. I'm more convinced that they know their stuff there in comparison to Microsoft, seeing as how they've been in the movie business for a very long time indeed. Also not to mention that the PS3 had Blu-Ray first, mind you :> Also yeah, it's probably a paid service in order to have access to Hulu or Netflix, but I don't know the specifics of that.

Also, let's not forget the Xbox Live ads that they throw at you :S

Plenty of good reasons to make the switch, if you ask me.

Sentra likes this

Actually Alan Wake was on PC too, so that's not even exclusive.

But yeah, honestly by buying this console you're telling everyone it's okay to charge you money for absolutely no reason. I would do nothing but laugh if anyone who bought this console complained about the prices of games and how the industry is giving us less and charging more. Absolutely hypocritical.

Sentra likes this

Also lolworthy: http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353010/kinect-trouble-xbox-one-reveal

EDIT: More new info:

- A large part of the features they show about voice-interaction and the NBA stats etc. are in AMERICA ONLY

- Most of these features require a separate device in order to use them

- This one doesn't mean much, it's actually a great idea, but the journalists were not the ones clapping. Look at the video closely (also confirmed by journalists present at the event) they had Microsoft employees do all the applause in order to make it seem like a big positive reaction and that the journalists really approve of everything that's being shown. Watch the PS4 reveal. Heck, watch any press-only gaming event, hardly any applause.

- The installation of the OS and the mandatory installation of games will take up - and I quote - a "substantial amount" of your hard drive

- Comes with a 500GB hard drive, a game is on average 10-15GB these days. With higher resolution textures and all the graphical improvements we're going to be looking at games even bigger than that. Look at Uncharted 2, it's 25GB. Not a lot of room... Sure they'll eventually come out with 1TB and 2TB Xbox One's or something to compensate for that, but why not do that at launch? Oh yeah, so that you buy ANOTHER Xbox One.

DT. likes this

Oh that's just priceless! HAH!

Dunno why/how that happened though, you'd think they'd test the stream on Xbox 360's just for the sake of making sure they look good. *shrugs*

I'm more concerned about the new Kinect and some of the patents they've been purchasing lately... It's seeming more and more invasive by the day.

Not as bad as its australian version, offering pre-orders already with a placeholder price of $899 AU. It's plastered all over it's site, but I had to dig to find the PS4's pre-order. Geez EB Games, xbox fanboys much?

We have EB Games in the states, but it got bought out by GameStop a number of years ago, so most of them changed to Gamestops. Not all though. The one by my house was an EB for a long time.

After the whole fiasco of not honoring WiiU pre-orders and not giving out refunds for them either, I've stayed from away from GameStop and EB Games.

Sucks too, EB Games in Canada was actually not bad before the buyout.

That's a stupid idea. The last thing I need is my (or anyone's) dumbass neighbor shouting army commands in their house and someone calling the police after hearing "F**king kill him!" Voice commands should be headset only, for the sake of minimizing stupidity and annoyance. Another scenario is "Hey, could you turn your game down?" "Sure. *turns down game volume to not bother anyone." "Thanks." "No problem... MOVE MOVE MOVE, FLANK THEM! TOSS A GRENADE!!!" >.>

It's like motion controls. Sure, I'll take them, but make them optional unless your game is exclusively designed around a specific feature.

DT. likes this