Some advice about Npc's and weapons .dat ? SP only

So I have been playing around with the differnant npc types to make for more responsive ai and need some advice.on two similiar topics.I'm mainly using the tusken sniper weapon to replace the stormies e11, for these reasons:

• gives the npc a melee attack that knocks you back. a counter attack really aswell as being able to shoot
  • I like their rate of fire better, for my gameplay.
  • it plays an animation  tuskens taunt kinda  randomly which I have replaced with the hand_signal. Ive then linked that to animconfigs so that when the taunt plays the stormtrooper appears to be giving commands to his troops.

So far what i need to know is this:

If I use noweap instead of the e11, or bot laser. is their a way for me to bolt weapmodels to a npc? I am sure their is away judging by the abilities to bolt other things like .efx in animconfig?

The Idea is to be able to have a basic blaster that multiple types of npc's use with a different weapon shooting the same function. (a generic tech level for the blaster for all npc's who use one similiar .)

So that models can all have unique guns aesthetically but not actually replacing them. say a bunch of aliens who all have a different dummy for their gun but the same gun funtionally.

even perhaps just use different sounds and efx on animconfig for whenever the gun fires?

efx, for when they shoot to emulate muzzle flash etc?

If there is no way besides modelling, is it viable to modify a weapon onto a model as a dummy and just use different sounds and efx on animconfig for whenever the gun fires? also can I have separate .gla's for an npc using the same gun this way or would doing this be too big in assets?

I know every thing ive read so far googleing this says no.

But I would love to have a bunch of npcs to have their own guns and animations for them so I hope i am on track with this idea and there is a way.

There are clearly areas that can help me get the results i want for my workings thanks for enlightening me as to what it would be. starting out, scripting seems ideal but i know i can't learn it over night and read most posts i can find about it, often confusing me more rather than helping just because their are seemingly different levels of it. Is it better to really learn this first  or are their enough scripters who like to help?

Entirely possible with scripting. Your bolting idea is similar to one I had when I thought about making a Battlefront II mod. But yeah, no need for a custom map, you can also use the runscrtipt command.

Why not just mod Battlefront 2? It has a pretty healthy community, everything is done with freeware, need to know how to model in Softimage for mapping since any rigid structures are modeled, only terrain and water are mapped.

I tried modding Battlefront 2, but I just didn't find it as enjoyable as modding JKA. I think the way files are organized using the addon system and such is a bad idea and mapping with GTK is a heck of a lot easier than with the mapping tool for BF2. And besides, I think JKA has many more modding possibilities and flexibility regarding what he wants to achieve. I just don't think the bounds of Battlefront 2 is enough.

Let alone that this is a JK forum.

Mandalorian likes this