Jedi Outcast/Academy on iPad

A better idea would be waiting for a legit standalone and port it so we don't get problems with Disney/Activision/Raven or whoever.

I guess that is an idea, although I really doubt Disney or Raven is going to do a port like that. We shouldn't run into problems with Raven though because the code is released into the public domain. As long as we port just the engine and don't include any assets there shouldn't be a problem. The ported engine would be free too, no one is going to sell it.

Is that you afiNity by the way? Long time no see...

I guess that is an idea, although I really doubt Disney or Raven is going to do a port like that. We shouldn't run into problems with Raven though because the code is released into the public domain. As long as we port just the engine and don't include any assets there shouldn't be a problem. The ported engine would be free too, no one is going to sell it.

Is that you afiNity by the way? Long time no see...

I think he is saying wait until a standalone rework of the game has been done, and port that, then less of the work is actually Raven's.  The thing is, what you are suggesting is a grey area.  True you may not be including the assets, but the game still needs them to run, ported or not. Meaning people have to copy them from somewhere, whether they do it legally or not.  And yes you can claim that what the end-user does is not your responsibility, but from a legal aspect, it would be.  You also have to consider that while we have permission to mod and work with the code and assets, the intellectual property is still in the hands of Disney, and we don't know what they think of this type of thing.

I can promise you, that you are going to need to rework all the assets into lower resolution anyway, and it is unlikely (I'll admit my programming knowledge is somewhat limited) that reworking the engine is going to be a job done over a few days, you are probably looking at weeks to months, where as once the coders have reworked the game, it will be mostly their own code, and they can likely do the port much easier.  So again, better to just hold out for now.

therfiles likes this

If it's really going to be that much work for a port then I agree that this can be put on hold for a while. Outcast/Academy on tablets is still a cool idea though and I would certainly like to see it in the future, especially as tablet technology gets better and better. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Baldur's gate, now theres a lore which needed an MMO expansion. 

On topic, why bother porting to iPad, if you're going to bring an external keyboard around with your glorified monitor get a laptop.

If an iPad port of JA is possible, Aspyr is the one to do it. The KOTOR one looks great. I'm definitely going to buy it unless I can get one of the free codes they're giving away each day this weekend.

KOTOR is mostly just point and click from what I understand, JA wouldn't really work well at all on tablets.

From what I have heard, while the interface works well with touch, and the turn-based combat is fairly intuitive (it is either set to pause between turns by default, or that is its only mode in this version), that even the movement on this can be just a bit cumbersome.

Of an entirely separate game from another genre which does not affect the feasability of a JO/JA port.

The fact that this game runs on iPad and has better graphics than JKO and JKA in my mind is proof that the iPad can run JKA, aside from issues with the controls.

The fact that this game runs on iPad and has better graphics than JKO and JKA in my mind is proof that the iPad can run JKA, aside from issues with the controls.

"better graphics" is really questionable, considering that they run on two completely different engines, and thus have two completely different pipelines for assets and so forth, and come with their own set of problems as well (KOTOR won't run on Win7 and higher, period, while JKA has some render FPS issues). And anyway you have to consider that the effects system in JKA alone is enough to bring a modern computer to its knees on a debug build (one effect is enough to bring the game to around ~20 FPS even on my PC, when debugging OpenJK)

Also...yeah, the controls is kinda the main reason why you wouldn't do this. Why would you ever port something if you can't properly control it? That doesn't make any sense at all..

Raz0r likes this

"better graphics" is really questionable, considering that they run on two completely different engines, and thus have two completely different pipelines for assets and so forth, and come with their own set of problems as well (KOTOR won't run on Win7 and higher, period, while JKA has some render FPS issues). And anyway you have to consider that the effects system in JKA alone is enough to bring a modern computer to its knees on a debug build (one effect is enough to bring the game to around ~20 FPS even on my PC, when debugging OpenJK)

Also...yeah, the controls is kinda the main reason why you wouldn't do this. Why would you ever port something if you can't properly control it? That doesn't make any sense at all..

FYI - I have KOTOR 1 & 2 (disc versions) running on Windows 7 properly (with the widescreen fix).

This...

Although I don't believe I have the widescreen fix.

Just played it for the first time. I've only played it for about 10 minutes, but I haven't found a major gripe with the controls yet. The graphics are exactly the same as the PC version, they don't seem stripped down at all. I've only beaten KOTOR 1 completely one time like two years ago, so this is a great way to replay the game. Also, the screen size on iPad mini is perfect. I feel like I'm playing it on a PC, not a mobile device, aside from the controls.

Looking forward to Manaan in the palm of my hands. ;) Will be very... nostalgic...

Circa likes this