The JKHUB pass me around?

I'd like closer to the start like 2nd or 3rd.

Also there a few other things to consider.

1.4 users: You *must* map on the grid.

1.5 users: You *must* not go below grid size 1 (1.4 users can't load larger decimals that we use)

1.6 users: gtfo but see 1.4

If you want to go off the grid, use a model. (.ase or .md3 via mrwonko's tools)

Any special rules in mind for 1.3? =P I'm too pro for anything newer.

I just got this sweet idea to revamp an old helicopter model of mine and make it all futuristic, so if we do go for a cyberpunk type map I'll definitely be doing that. :)

could do some mapping, but I'd rather mostly leave that to other people as I'm not the greatest mapper (most of my mapping work involves modifying/fixing up map donations eezstreet and I's mod Gunslinger's Academy has received)

Anyway, I voted and stuff.

There are so many good SW themed maps that could be done so I voted other.

KotOR: Valley of the Dark Lords (already talked about in the beginning)

Dromund Kaas

A darker themed Yavin 4 with Exar Kuns and Naga Sadows tombs.

Taris post sith bombardment (the TOR game isn't that great but this location was neat)

Question.

If some one uses a stock mp_entities, and the next person uses an updated mp_entities(say, this one), then the person after that uses a stock mp_entities, doesn't it cause issues that are really hard to fix?

I know it did for me. It took a lot of work to fix.

That should cause problems, aye. I suggest making a default mp_entities only rule.

Last time I installed the updated entity definitions and then began working on a map made with the old definitions, the map was broken severely to the point where it wouldn't compile. I think it mostly has to do with the entities being in a different order.

For instance, every func_group on my map ceased BEING a func_group. All my light entities lost their light classname and became blue squares all over the place. Every... single... light. The wordspawn was messed up as well, but as that's only one entity at the top of the .map file it was no big deal to fix. Every thing else took quite a lot of work to fix.

I completely fail to comprehend this. Entities are just a set of key/value pairs and are saved as such. You can even use unknown classnames and radiant will fall back to a default display, so missing defintions can't be a problem.

Which version did you have problems with? I hardly have any experience with 1.5, but I don't see why it would be any different, unless it changed the file format, which wouldn't make sense and in which case compatibility would be screwed anyway.

I don't know what you want me to tell you.

I want to tell you that what happened to you can't have been due to changing mp_entities.def, that doesn't make any sense. I'm not denying it happened to you, but I'm very surprised. Could you try to reproduce it and give a step-by-step-guide?

I did science. Radiant 1.3.12.

Original deffinitions:

wccTO1oh.jpg

New definitions:

08iqh3hh.jpg

Also had a light and a func_door. Nothing broke. I guess moondog's issue was caused by something else, or 1.4 specific (if so, moral of the story is use 1.3.12 like a pro would.).

If you want to be sure - As long as you don't open old maps and then save them using different definitions you can swap to improved ones for the contest and then back again to your own before loading a personal map. Of course when starting new maps I'd recommend you just used the updated files.

So I was totally naughty and started working on this before the poll actually ended but here's that helicopter I mentioned earlier in the thread, and I'm loving what I've done with it so far. I do plan on adding more detail so don't worry about that, let me know what you guys think.

cybercopter_wip_zps042b08e6.jpg

I was talking with mrwonko about how we could make this into a police vehicle and have it fly around the map and shine a spotlight on stuff, he suggested using a roff to animate each part individually which would probably work great to animate the engines on the sides too. We'll see how that turns out though since apparently md3 models have a size-boundry limit and the helicopter is probably over that limit. I may be able to split the helicopter up into more parts though, we'll see.

Didn't quite get to planning today. It'll definitely be this week, hopefully tomorrow.

I agree with us all having to use one entities file, just to be sure. I presume the updated one is the most logical place to take off. Any other things we should synchronize between the mappers or at least not forget about while we're working on the same file? (aside from the obvious shit like detail, caulking, stuff everybody should already be doing anyway)

Also, I'm loving that as a police vehicle :D

We should all use one single unified shader file and texture directory and agree on a unified pk3 substructure with appropriate names for folders.

Basically not folders and shaders individual to each mapper :P Unless someone wants to go through at the end and do that.

Also can whoever starts please start mapping at 0,0,0? :D

Edit: Yup, here it is:

Also, I'm loving that as a police vehicle :D

Why don't we use a piratepad for a shader file? That way any edits can be made on a copy everyone can see/edit and any fixes to the shader can be done by anyone. Just a suggestion though.

Also, nobody commented on my helicopter :(

I think we should just include a shaderlist file while we are passing it around, and anyone who wants to add custom shaders can just add their own .shader file.

This would keep everything a bit more organized, also lets people who need help with shaders to easily get it just by saying "it's on the piratepad"

Gets rid of the need to combine all the different shader files at the end (or worse, leave them all there for people with lots of mods in their base folder to hit the shader limit :P).