[PSA] QEffects-GL: It works, and looks badass.

[...] on a software-based renderer like JKA [...]

[...] let me repeat: JKA is a software-based renderer, [...]

Humbug. JKA is hardware-based (it uses OpenGL after all), the only problem is that it only uses the fixed function pipeline, which makes it much slower than a (gpu) shader based approach.

Drastically reduce the detail, or convert large sections to ase. I dont particularly like either option.

Don't just convert to ASE - actually model them. ASE-ifying brushes leads to fairly bad models, handcrafted models are usually better in pretty much every way.

^This, SW themed counter strike is only fun for a small time, then it gets repetetive. If that team had half a brain they'd just simpley remake the MP side of JA rather than a mod that is only appealing to some, hell I'd help them if it weren't based on MB.

lol bs. Leaved all of JKA but Siege since I started playing it in 2009.

Humbug. JKA is hardware-based (it uses OpenGL after all), the only problem is that it only uses the fixed function pipeline, which makes it much slower than a (gpu) shader based approach.

That was more or less my point. It uses accelerated hardware and all, but it does nearly all of its actual stuff on the CPU instead of the GPU.

Sounds like you missed it when it was actually good (B18 et al)

That was more or less my point. It uses accelerated hardware and all, but it does nearly all of its actual stuff on the CPU instead of the GPU.

That was more or less my point: No it doesn't. It uses the GPU, just in an inefficient, slow way.

Sounds like you missed it when it was actually good (B18 et al)

b16 all the way new****! I stopped playing when they ruined the wookies in the last build though.

Btw: I still can't make this QEffects work. I've got a Geforce GTX 560Ti

Better english needed, don't know wtf you're trying to say. My post stands, remaking a small portion of JA that has a SMALL community on a different engine is dumb. Recreating JA (although not smart in general) on a different engine would be better, then let MB be bassed off of that.

Better english needed, don't know wtf you're trying to say. My post stands, remaking a small portion of JA that has a SMALL community on a different engine is dumb. Recreating JA (although not smart in general) on a different engine would be better, then let MB be bassed off of that.

Well for the moment it's getting the basics up and running in UDK. I wouldn't say there's anything "MovieBattles" about it at the moment. It's more like a very basic, toned down JAMP right now.

mrwonko is right about JA's usage of CPU/GPU when rendering. My guess on the bottleneck is sending so much data over the bus each frame; the world mesh, skeletal animation on the CPU, vertex deformation on the CPU...and, well, shaders being done manually, rendering surfaces multiple times.

That may be true for MB2, but doesn't mean MB3 will have it. I hardly doubt MB3 will be "MB2 UDK" though I'm sure some people think it will be.

Just an FYI, it's not the exact same developers who work/worked on MB2 that are working on MB3. It's too bad I'm not permitted to mention any of the things we've already achieved on the UDK, they are quite awesome. :D

As long as your hit detection code isn't nearly as derp as MB2 (8 similtaneous hits in same map = 9th collision never happens, hits rely on oft-inaccurate hit box data, et al). That said, I think the droid classes in MB2 probably should have been combined into a megaclass, since they're quite novelty in all reality I've found. I do think that there is some room for improvement with semi open mode as well.

But I hope your team situation pans out a lot better, and I hope you aren't silently knocked out of your team for someone else throwing a fit. As everyone knows, if you're going to kick someone out for someone throwing a temper tantrum, you should probably talk within your team to let them know that they're gone. Probably doesn't hurt to make sure their Mercurial account isn't still running after two weeks or so either. Oh, and by the way, just a tip, if you're making MB3 cross-platform, best to release a launcher for it under Qt, not C#, as that probably, you know, makes a lick of sense.

Oh, should stop derailing my thread with pointless banter as well.

My gripe isn't with modellers, it's with angsty programmers that have an overly cautious attitude with the code, and treat their community badly. I think I've sufficiently made my gripes clear though, so no need to pinpoint which MB team members set me off

@@Jango40: try turning off or down the SSAO or DOF settings. Those are fairly intensive.

Astral Serpent likes this
  • 3 weeks later...

I got this working, seems that if /r_dynamicglow is set to anyting but 0 QEffects wont work, it's weird though with the shaders being super intensified my FPS is better than with /r_dynamicglow 3.

What settings are people running and got any screenshots of some decent settings where everything isn't super saturated and contrasted?

I don't like randomly playing with video settings in the menu since it messes up the widescreen.

Jango40 likes this