Galak Mech has no head!?

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

Hi!

So I've been fiddling around with the JO mod for JA for quite awhile and saw that the Galak boss fight has his armor on but no visible face. I wanted to make him without his helmet on during the cinematics with Kyle at least, but found out that the head is not visible. Then I've opened up the .skin file and tried modifying it on several ways... but the head is still not visible, which is weird cuz I fired up the Noesis tool for viewing the model.glm and you can clearly see that his head is still there. Does anybody know what's the issue here?

Also his helmet goes back when he moves, exposing his..... nothing cuz he doesn't have a head. 😑

shot2023-07-26_15-34-11.jpg

galaksian.png

shot2023-07-26_15-30-59.jpg

shot2023-07-26_15-34-10.jpg

The relevant surfaces are torso_galaktorso_off, torso_collar_off, torso_galakface_off, torso_eyes_mouth_off & torso_galakhead_off, as you can check via ModView from the SDK.

In Jedi Academy, surfaces get disabled via the .skin file, but apparently Jedi Outcast uses ext_data/npcs.cfg instead. Here's an excerpt of the Stromtrooper Officer:

STOfficer
{
	playerModel stormtrooper
	surfOn		torso_pauldron_off
	surfOff		"torso_armor_neck_augment torso_body_neck_augment"

It uses the "surfOn" and "surfOff" settings to enable the pauldron. You should be able to similarly enable the missing Galak surfaces.

Oddly enough it doesn't seem to be the case. This is from the npc file which is lastly loaded, I'm sure enough, so it should override any file before it:

Galak_Mech
{
	playerModel	galak_mech
	weapon		WP_REPEATER
	health		1000
	width		20
	height		88
	crouchheight 88
	snd			galak_mech
	reactions	5
	aim			5
	move		3
	aggression	5
	evasion		1
	intelligence	5
	rank		crewman
	playerTeam	TEAM_ENEMY
	enemyTeam	TEAM_PLAYER
//	race		klingon
	class		CLASS_ASSASSIN_DROID
	//class		CLASS_GALAKMECH
	snd			galak
	sndcombat	galak
	sndextra	galak
	yawSpeed	50
	walkSpeed	45
	runSpeed	150
	dismemberProbHead	0
	dismemberProbArms	0
	dismemberProbHands	0
	dismemberProbLegs	0
	dismemberProbWaist	0
	headPitchRangeUp	60
	headPitchRangeDown	60
	torsoPitchRangeUp	60
	torsoPitchRangeDown	60
}

And I've tried modifying the skin file too. Trying setting it for example

torso_galakface_off,models/players/galak/face.tga

or

torso_galakface_on,models/players/galak/face.tga

or

torso_galakface_off,*off

or

torso_galakface,models/players/galak/face.tga

or simply deleting it

or even adding the textures to galak_mech folder and

torso_galakface_on,models/players/galak_mech/face.tga

I'm pretty sure something is missing here, something I've overlooked. 😑 Can the CLASS affect the skin? Cuz it's robotic...?

Tried it, doesn't work. Tried it with and without "" but no luck so far. It says in the console: WARNING: UNKNOWN KEYWORD "TORSO_COLLAR_OFF" WHILE PARSING "GALAK_MECH"

I even tried mixing everything. The helmet turns off but not the rest. Tried throwing out the collar, but the message is still the same with the others.

Galak_Mech
{
	playerModel	galak_mech
//	customSkin	gal
	surfOn		"torso_eyes_mouth_off" "torso_galakhead_off"
	surfOff		"helmet" "torso_galakface_off"
	weapon		WP_REPEATER
	health		1000
......... etc.

56 minutes ago, RobiWanKen0bi said:

Tried it, doesn't work. Tried it with and without "" but no luck so far. It says in the console: WARNING: UNKNOWN KEYWORD "TORSO_COLLAR_OFF" WHILE PARSING "GALAK_MECH"

I even tried mixing everything. The helmet turns off but not the rest. Tried throwing out the collar, but the message is still the same with the others.

Galak_Mech
{
	playerModel	galak_mech
//	customSkin	gal
	surfOn		"torso_eyes_mouth_off" "torso_galakhead_off"
	surfOff		"helmet" "torso_galakface_off"
	weapon		WP_REPEATER
	health		1000
......... etc.

Have you tried this?

surfOn		"torso_eyes_mouth_off torso_galakhead_off"
surfOff		"helmet torso_galakface_off"

I'm sorry, but I did say I tried it in ever way, mrwonko. Check the previous messages. Also SomaZ is right. thsi is a MOD of JO in the JA game.

Okay, for clearing everything here's the full file content:

Galak_Mech
{
	playerModel	galak_mech
//	customSkin	gal
	surfOn		torso_galaktorso_off torso_collar_off torso_galakface_off torso_eyes_mouth_off torso_galakhead_off
	surfOff		helmet
	weapon		WP_REPEATER
	health		1000
	width		20
	height		88
	crouchheight 88
	snd			galak_mech
	reactions	5
	aim			5
	move		3
	aggression	5
	evasion		1
	intelligence	5
	rank		crewman
	playerTeam	TEAM_ENEMY
	enemyTeam	TEAM_PLAYER
//	race		klingon
	class		CLASS_ASSASSIN_DROID
//class		CLASS_JEDI
	snd			galak
	sndcombat	galak
	sndextra	galak
	yawSpeed	50
	walkSpeed	45
	runSpeed	150
	dismemberProbHead	0
	dismemberProbArms	0
	dismemberProbHands	0
	dismemberProbLegs	0
	dismemberProbWaist	0
	headPitchRangeUp	60
	headPitchRangeDown	60
	torsoPitchRangeUp	60
	torsoPitchRangeDown	60
}

In your latest example the line must be

surfOn		"torso_galaktorso_off torso_collar_off torso_galakface_off torso_eyes_mouth_off torso_galakhead_off"

Single arguments dont need quotation marks, multiple arguments must use them like above demonstrated.

But this still won't work in JA because you need to use the .skin file instead. Or maybe both is required?

Guys........ I've mentioned before, I've tried it ... every.... way... possible:

torso_galaktorso_off torso_collar_off torso_galakface_off torso_eyes_mouth_off torso_galakhead_off

"torso_galaktorso_off torso_collar_off torso_galakface_off torso_eyes_mouth_off torso_galakhead_off"

"torso_galaktorso_off" "torso_collar_off" "torso_galakface_off" "torso_eyes_mouth_off" "torso_galakhead_off"

also tried it with the skin file. should i quote myself? 😑

And I've tried modifying the skin file too. Trying setting it for example

torso_galakface_off,models/players/galak/face.tga

or

torso_galakface_on,models/players/galak/face.tga

or

torso_galakface_off,*off

or

torso_galakface,models/players/galak/face.tga

or simply deleting it

or even adding the textures to galak_mech folder and

torso_galakface_on,models/players/galak_mech/face.tga

The thing is something JA has changed, cuz the model is missing from JO and the actual Galak_mech model has been imported via a MOD. Some parameter is different in JA cuz it doesn't recognize it: It says in the console: WARNING: UNKNOWN KEYWORD "TORSO_COLLAR_OFF" WHILE PARSING "GALAK_MECH"

• Solution

In Jedi Outcast, the surface is disabled in the .glm file and then turned on using the npcs.cfg file.

In Jedi Academy, the .glm typically has all surfaces enabled, and then selectively disables them using the .skin file. I suspect there is no way to turn them on using only the .skin file, you'll likely need to modify the .glm.

So download the latest version of the Blender tools from Github, import the .glm (refer to the manual for the required folder structure so it can find the corresponding .gla), go into the object properties of each hidden surface, find the Ghoul 2 Properties and untick the "off" checkbox, then re-export the .glm.

RobiWanKen0bi likes this

That sounds like it could work. I've already done things in Blender with the JA plugin (for using glm) to convert JA models to JO (mostly needed the animations for the JO MOD cinematics). I'll let you know if your solution works. In the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas, then I'm eager to hear them. 😄

Can you lilnk to which JO in JA mod you're using? The one I know of on here doesn't have galak_mech in the pk3 at all. That might help in troubleshooting a bit and maybe get the author of the mod involved.

I do think a lot of the galak_mech behavior like this is all done in code rather than just scripts, and that code may be missing in JKA causing these issues. The mech suit was a specialized encounter. Worst case scenario here is you'd need to restore some code from JK2 but I could be wrong.

Bingo! We have a winner! 😄

That was it, the glm needed modification, just like mrwonko said. Thank you everyone for the help! Now we all know the solution to this issue.

Circa it's the MOD which I've modified for my personal use. As far as I know the mod has no new updates by the author and the galak_mech and similar files aren't included, cuz he said you need the original JO game to get those files (buy the game).

galak12.png

galak14.png

shot2023-08-03_02-37-17.jpg

mjt, Circa and mrwonko like this