JKA Server Providers

Hello!

There's some threads about this topic, but I'm having trouble getting through them because I'm not extremely technically literate =).

I'm doing research of server providers, here's my criteria:

1) New York/DC Location

2) 32 players

3) Good support

4) Highly secure

Right now I'm looking at LowPingGameServers and Art of War Central, based off of offering New York locations.

I'm open to any suggestions of providers, other things I should look for, and also answering some questions!

1) Any other providers that you suggest from your personal experience?

2) Does it really matter if it's a linux or windows server?

3) I've read Caelum's serve security thread, but is there stuff that I need to look for on the server provider's side to help keep our server secure?

Thank you!

Hey, from the research I did recently. lowpingservers looked like one of the better options.

2) Does it really matter if it's a linux or windows server?

Not especially, windows is kinda handy as you can be certain that if something works on your own PC, it will work on the server. Other than that, its not that important.

Yikes, stay off Art of War! Two friends who had their servers from them always had them down if not laggy and the price they're asking for is far too much for a JKA server.

I have helped someone with LowPingGameServers (I still have to help them restart it every now and then...), only problem he had was that LPGS didn't seem to know much about switching versions. By default when you rent it it's 1.01. Also the provided slots might be wrong (mate ordered 22 slot it came as 12, but he changed it to 22 in-game and nothing bad happened to him). In TCAdmin's link I still see 'JKJA+v1.01+12+Slots' at the end of it lol so they never bothered to change that.

Also, they'll stop your server (no I don't mean suspend it) if it has been crashing continuously for some time. But I'm sure with the fixes available around there shouldn't be a need to worry.

I can check if they allow uploading of custom dll's and exe's if you like.

On the subject of LPGS, here's something from them to a server they host that got hit by DDoS attacks:

This loses them a lot of credibility in my eyes.

yea, that screams bad host right there, rather then fix the issue, they screw the guy that pays them, shame on the mess.

They don't even seem to be hosting JA anymore, probably because of the attacks.

A friend had a server through mammoth games, was great, even though I didn't own the server I had full access so I can vouch that it was a good host. Good ping and reliable. They also host my favorite mod, lugormod.

• 8 months later...