[Sound] Phase Correction

Recently, I've been trying my hand at impersonating Kylo Ren's voice for brand new sounds in JKA. I've already done the editing in Adobe Audition. The trouble is I recorded the sounds from a phone, not an actual microphone (as I can't afford one ATM), so the audio phasing is a little all over the place. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to best center the audio--I've tried automatic phase correction and whatnot to no avail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T-Y4QBPQXg

ooeJack likes this

Recently, I've been trying my hand at impersonating Kylo Ren's voice for brand new sounds in JKA. I've already done the editing in Adobe Audition. The trouble is I recorded the sounds from a phone, not an actual microphone (as I can't afford one ATM), so the audio phasing is a little all over the place. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to best center the audio--I've tried automatic phase correction and whatnot to no avail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T-Y4QBPQXg

What do you mean by phase? The actual distortion sounds fine. Center the audio? Do you mean in terms of loudness or? Sorry but you need to go into more detail if I can attempt to help.

Heya Effacer.

I'm no audio person, so I can't help you out here unfortunately. But I did want to reply to you saying this Kylo Ren impersonation is phenomenal! Pretty much spot on. Well done!! :)

ooeJack

Thank you for the kind words, so happy to hear you enjoyed!

What do you mean by phase? The actual distortion sounds fine. Center the audio? Do you mean in terms of loudness or? Sorry but you need to go into more detail if I can attempt to help.

Sorry I was none too clear—I was referring to the audio distribution. What I mean by that is how it fluctuates between the left and right speakers, it seems to rise unevenly in either side throughout certain lines.

Sorry I was none too clear—I was referring to the audio distribution. What I mean by that is how it fluctuates between the left and right speakers, it seems to rise unevenly in either side throughout certain lines.

Oh I see. What is your purpose for the audio? Is it for Jedi Academy? If so - then the left and right channels won't matter. JKA will only play MONO audio, not stereo (so there won't be a left or right channel) sampled at 44100khz. However, I'd recommend optimizing your audio beforehand. If you use audacity, you can import the audio, and ensure that both the left and right channels are at the correct amplification (selecting said channel, going to Effect>Amplify). If you struggle with this then feel free to send me the audio and I'll fix it.

Effacer likes this

Oh I see. What is your purpose for the audio? Is it for Jedi Academy? If so - then the left and right channels won't matter. JKA will only play MONO audio, not stereo (so there won't be a left or right channel) sampled at 44100khz. However, I'd recommend optimizing your audio beforehand. If you use audacity, you can import the audio, and ensure that both the left and right channels are at the correct amplification (selecting said channel, going to Effect>Amplify). If you struggle with this then feel free to send me the audio and I'll fix it.

It is for JKA. Thank you for the tips, I’ll see to them ASAP.

The phase problems occur when the left and right channels get mixed, for example when using a mono speaker, because your left and right signals are slightly different.

For this reason you shouldn't convert the stereo file to mono. Best way to fix that is to just use one channel. Voice should be recorded in mono anyway. Effects like reverb can be stereo.

https://nofile.io/f/MKg55Q1Xd08/kylo.wav

Effacer and Circa like this

The phase problems occur when the left and right channels get mixed, for example when using a mono speaker, because your left and right signals are slightly different.

For this reason you shouldn't convert the stereo file to mono. Best way to fix that is to just use one channel. Voice should be recorded in mono anyway. Effects like reverb can be stereo.

https://nofile.io/f/MKg55Q1Xd08/kylo.wav

Probably the best solution. Otherwise you can use a plugin to flip the phase. Not sure if Audition has the ability to flip the phase.