My jaconfig hates me, it keeps resetting

I picked up my SP mod again. But I can't get to the bottom of these issues I'm having with the game remembering my custom ui cvars.

I'm not sure what's happening. But whatever it is, it not only erases my cvars but it also resets the entire jaconfig as well because when it happens my game resolution and other graphics settings are also defaulted along with my cvars being lost.

It seems to happen when I load a game, then exit JA, either from inside the game or by going back to the main menu first. Then once I load up the game again, everything is reset and I don't know why that is.

The game remembers all the settings when I load a game, then go back to the main menu, but once I exit the game, everything, whether my stuff or normal game settings is kablooiee.

Anyone have any advice?

EDIT: It happens whenever I exec my initialize.cfg which sets up my cvars and calls them into existence and writes them into the jaconfig. As long as I stay in the main menu, I can exit and open the game as many times as I want, and everything stays.

But after I've done that, as soon as I load a game, the next time I start up JA afterwards everything is erased or so it seems, unless there's some variable I'm affecting here I'm not seeing.

^I edited my 1st post with some crucial info I forgot to say.

So, how do I know if I'm using the safe mode shortcut? I know there's a shortcut for safe mode for JAMP in the start menu folder but the JASP shortcuts on my desktop and in the start menu folder look pretty 'normal' to me.

The path for the desktop shortcut (which is what I've been using) is "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\JediAcademy.exe", anything unusual there?

EDIT: Well the shortcut calls up a menu for me that asks me you know do I want to play SP or MP? etc. Could that perhaps be using safe mode?

what i know if and thats when i used to play japlus in the old days if i just exied the the game just by close it down it didnt save my configm, but if i did go to the main menu and closed the game from there it did save it

Hmm, maybe there's something in the UI code, but still, strange nevertheless.

I mean, the weird part is, whenever I do that specific action with the initialize.cfg (and I'm pretty sure nothing in the config itself is causing this), upon exiting the game, everything is reset, even the normal game settings. Thanks for the tip though Stoiss^.

If I recall correctly, using the launcher (JediAcademy.exe) always launches the game in safe mode. Does the problem still exist if you load up MP or SP using jamp.exe or jasp.exe directly?

That wouldn't make sense, as I've always run the game through JediAcademy.exe and it only did this after I had done exec initialize.cfg in the main menu, then I would have to load a game then exit some time after that (whether from ingame or at the main menu) for my jaconfig to be reset.

I mean, safe mode is supposed to make your graphics settings go to bare minimum right for people who would have trouble running the game? 

After watching the jaconfig closely using Notepad++ while having the game running, I noticed JA would seem to rearrange things ingame, but it'd leave my custom cvars and settings, even upon exiting the game. It was upon loading up JASP (through JediAcademy.exe if that makes any difference) that the config was reset/erased/rewritten it seems.

Now, this mysteriously stopped happening though yesterday, and everything seems to be fine?! The game will just keep remembering all my settings and cvars! I'm still very perturbed though, as I have no idea what was causing this... and my mod (and my sanity when it comes to not having all my game settings reset) hinges around the jaconfig being stable unless I do more fracking ghetto workarounds.

Could it be/have been a bug in the game's code? I sure hope not...

EDIT: Also, something very strange I noticed. Using "seta" ingame won't write anything to the jaconfig, but sets does... (what?)

even if you are in safe mode this should not happen, it has never done it with me in the old days from what i remember, it only happen if you quit the game from the ingame menu and not go to the main menu first, idk if you tried that but if it didnt work it sounds werid to me that it keeps doing it, what about if you set the exe files to run win xp sp3 mode ? somtimes that helps, :)

In one of the .pk3s there is. I don't have anything in there that'd warrant the jaconfig to delete itself on startup though I don't think.

even if you are in safe mode this should not happen, it has never done it with me in the old days from what i remember, it only happen if you quit the game from the ingame menu and not go to the main menu first, idk if you tried that but if it didnt work it sounds werid to me that it keeps doing it, what about if you set the exe files to run win xp sp3 mode ? somtimes that helps,  :)

Are you talking about compatibility mode? I'm using Windows XP myself so I think that's out in this case.

In one of the .pk3s there is. I don't have anything in there that'd warrant the jaconfig to delete itself on startup though I don't think.

That is what is causing your troubles. Files within a PK3 will take precedence over 'loose' files as they are within your Base folder. Try removing that particular PK3 file and see if the problem persists . . .

Signature.jpg

Ugh, it's doing it again now. I tried taking the autoexec out of the .pk3, and then out of my base folder period and it's still doing it. Arg.

Is there anything in the .exe or ui game code that could be warranting this? I don't really understand what's going on...

This is my initialize.cfg, which is always the trigger:

seta ui_mblockbutton 1
seta ui_meleebutton 1
seta ui_glowintensity "seta r_dynamicglowintensity 1.13f"
vstr ui_glowintensity
seta ui_holsterbutton "bind - weapon0"
vstr ui_holsterbutton
seta ui_cameracontrols "bind p vstr camera"
vstr ui_cameracontrols
seta tipcyclenext 1
vstr tip1
seta ui_saberautoaim "seta g_saberautoaim 1"
vstr ui_saberautoaim
seta ui_saberatkrolling "seta g_sabermovespeed 1"
vstr ui_saberatkrolling
set bob 1
sets bob 1
seta bob 1
setu bob 1

Something is triggered upon execing this, loading up a game and then exiting out, that the next time the game opens everything is re-written in the jaconfig file. 

Hmm, maybe...

The autoexec doesn't change controls or settings or anything though, you still think it's what was responsible?

I didn't know what was contained within that particular autoexec.cfg file and from my experiences with autoexec.cfg files in PK3 archives, it usually messes up my controls. That's why I keep all my key bindings contained with them.

I want to try something different this time

1) Remove all custom PK3 files and *.cfg files and leave only the following files in your GameData\Base folder:

assets1.pk3

assets2.pk3

assets3.pk3

assets4.pk3

cgamex86.dll  -->  (If exists. I'm running both vanillaJA and OpenJK)

jampgamex86.dll  -->  (If exists. I'm running both vanillaJA and OpenJK)

uix86.dll  -->  (If exists. I'm running both vanillaJA and OpenJK)

2) Run jamp.exe or jasp.exe directly from the GameData folder.

3) Reset your binds and enter in the console writeconfig jkhub.cfg

4) Exit the game and see if a jkhub.cfg exists. Then restart the game and see if your bindings is saved. If not, enter the console exec jkhub (you don't need to type the .cfg extension). If all is well, it should load your binding then.

Signature.jpg

^Alright. I'm going camping this week, but I'll be sure to try this and reply when I get back.

If I have to, my mod will need to write and exec configs constantly to keep things going, but hopefully this can be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you used the writeconfig command? I just learned about it too.

Get the settings how you want them in game and then in the console type: writeconfig original

Now if you go in game and your config is screwd just open the console and type: exec original

Then you'll get it back.

I'm using it now to make a setup for npc's and sabers for easy switching.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so I ran jasp.exe straight from Gamedata and it still did the exact same thing.

^I think I'm just going to have to stoop to writing and execing configs as katanamaru and you guys are suggesting.

EDIT: Okay, I think I know what the problem is. I've isolated it to my initialize.cfg. I think the game resets itself because I'm using cheat protected cvars, and there's something about that it don't like. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. I've tried some more stuff, but nothing seems to affect it. I'm pretty convinced it's a code issue. I can have the game write and execute custom configs, but that only sets controls correctly and doesn't affect video settings, custom cvars, or any of that good stuff.

It all goes back to the initialize.cfg, and then loading a game then exiting, and restarting.

Can someone look through the SP code as it pertains to saving and remembering video/game settings and cvar values in between sessions? As well as anything that causes the jaconfig to be deleted/reset? Maybe there's a codeless fix to this, but I'm pretty much at a dead end as for what I can do.