It's that time of year.
It's crazy to believe that it's already December. We've had so many amazing happen this year: 10 years of JKA, 1 year of JKHub, and the release of the JKA SP code. To "wrap up" this pretty epic year, we're gonna be doing something new.
To celebrate the holiday season, we're going to be hosting a White Elephant Gift Exchange. The basic mechanics are simple: You make an obscure/random/cool/whatever mod, and you bring it to the party. We then go around, opening these "mystery" gifts, stealing and trading them from one another. Quite fun. Except when you get stolen from. One thing that will be different this year: You will not recieve your gift until the game has concluded and you alone will get it. That way, the gift will be uniquely yours. Of course you can share it with the community, if you wish. I'll get to finer details of the game (or forum "event") soon enough, but first let's talk about...
Really, there aren't no specific rules as to what your file should be. Make it cool, weird, and unique! Will it be that sleek, hot item that everyone fights over? Or the ugly sweater some one gets stuck with? That's up to you! Just please: put some effort into your gift. This will be no fun if we all get ugly sweaters. Your gift will only be viewed by the JKHub staff (to ensure it's goodness) and the recipient. Screenshots will be taken to display your gift, once it's been chosen. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
- Nothing inappropriate. You know.
- Effort, please!
- It MUST be your own, original work. It may integrate the use of other mods to a certain extent (a very modified skin), but may not be a file by another author.
- No files that have already been submitted to JKHub are valid. Sorry.
- Upload your file to Dropbox, or some other safe upload service.
- You give full rights to the work to the recipient, but they MUST credit you. (Example: they can upload it, with credit given)
How to enter.
When you've made a gift of maximum goodness, send it to @The White Elephant via PM. All files must be received by December 18th. Thanks!
How it's gonna work.
The staff, including myself, are going to continue brainstorming an effective plan of action, but for now, this is the plan. A new forum will be added, called "White Elephant Gift Exchange". This forum will contain rules, gift lists, and the trading topic. One December 19th, a list will be posted in the forum giving the order of gift choosing. A "gift list" of gift colors will be made available. The person whose turn it is will get to choose a gift color, revealing it to everyone. This event may span OVER Christmas, but will conclude by the 31st at the latest, depending on reply times, etc.
So now that I've thoroughly confused all of you, I'm gonna make an example between me, @Circa, and @Fighter.
- It's December 18th, and I just turned in my beautiful model pack to the White Elephant.
- On the 19th, a list is posted, listing @Circa first, @Fighter second, and me last.
- From the tantalizing list of mystery gifts, @Circa chooses the blue one.
- The White Elephant reveals that the blue gift contains a model of Jesus.
- @Fighter, who is second, now has two choices: To steal any of the gifts revealed from another player, or choose a new one. He chooses to open the red gift, which is revealed to be a new map!
- So now it's my turn. I really want the map, so I say this: "I will steal the red gift from @Fighter." The red gift is now mine. I then must specify a gift color for @Fighter to get in return. "He will get the green gift instead."
- The green gift is a loading screen of Santa, so @Fighter gets that, and I get the map!
- As soon as all the players have responded and all trading is done, the gifts are PM'd to the winners.
- By the off chance that you choose your OWN gift, you will be asked to choose again.
Why are we doing this? It's so tl;dr!
I'd really like to try something new this year (rather than Secret Santa, which is still pretty cool). Also, this will be our first experiment with forum interactivity and "events" which could be something cool.
Questions? I know I've made you confused. :wacko:
Leave any questions below, and we'll do our best to figure em' out. If you have any suggestions, PLEASE share them! We'd love to make this as effective as possible! Is this event mandatory? Absolutely not! It's all just for fun!
To "wrap" it up:
- Make a gift by December 18th, and send it to @The White Elephant
- Stay tuned on December 19th for the new Forum and the game to be officially be started
- Participate when you are listed to do so!
- Have fun.
That is all. If you're still confused, go to Mr. and Mrs. Wikipedia, and appeal to them for guidance.