Renaming issue in blender?

Go to solution Solved by Kualan,

So I've gotten into frankensteining and have noticed an issue either with Blender, the GLM exporter, or me. I'm trying to rename things (heads, particularly) to create additional choices for species. But if I rename the newly imported model's head from head_0.001 (which is how Blender handles duplicates) to headb_0 it will still export as head_0, merging with the original head. I change both the name for the object and skin modifiers, but for some reason it doesn't take. Thoughts?

For those with the same issue, you can 'cheat' a bit by using a hex editor, finding the bit that you want to rename, and typing over with a new name. In my case I replaced head in the hex editor with hed2. It's messy, but technically so far it works.

Hiya Teancum.

When you rename the object, also check under the 'Object' option to the right, scroll all the way down and make sure the G2 Properties have different names for each object. That might be the issue.

Good luck.

ooeJack

• Solution

The names need to be changed in three places:

1. The name box in the Object tab

2. The G2 properties box further down in the Object tab (nb: The name entered here must be exactly as it will appear in the .skin file)

3. The name box in the Object Data tab.

1 + 3 should match exactly, and avoid capital letters. It can lead to issues with Modview.

• 1 month later...

The names need to be changed in three places:

1. The name box in the Object tab

2. The G2 properties box further down in the Object tab (nb: The name entered here must be exactly as it will appear in the .skin file)

3. The name box in the Object Data tab.

1 + 3 should match exactly, and avoid capital letters. It can lead to issues with Modview.

No, you actually only need to change it in the G2 properties box. The object name should only matter for the roots in the hierarchy (so the exporter knows where the different LODs are), below that matching is done by G2 property.
Teancum likes this