Lonely-lonely Luke Skywalker

Heroines in Jedi Academy  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mara Jade and Jan Ors have appeared in Jedi Academy?

• No. It's better this way.
    • Yes, Mara Jade should have.
    • Yes, Jan Ors should have.
    • Yes, they both should have.

Are Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker together during the events of Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy? Why does Luke always have to be portrayed as the lonely guy for life, without a partner?

It's something that's been bugging me lately. Even in the new film(s) he is portrayed without a family...

Anyone with any thoughts or knowledge, feel free to chip in.

And while we're at it, where is Jan during the events of Jedi Academy? She's not even mentioned... (Why is it always just the guys getting to stick around, and do stuff? :P)

Are Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker together during the events of Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy? Why does Luke always have to be portrayed as the lonely guy for life, without a partner?

It's something that's been bugging me lately. Even in the new film(s) he is portrayed without a family...

Anyone with any thoughts or knowledge, feel free to chip in.

And while we're at it, where is Jan during the events of Jedi Academy? She's not even mentioned... (Why is it always just the guys getting to stick around, and do stuff? :P)

Cause the girls and Roshes are meant to be kidnapped :P

As for the rest, they're set in 12 and 14 ABY, so I guess Mara already left his academy to work with Karrde again. In the Hand of Thrawn Mara mentions leaving the Academy soon enough.

Jan is mentioned on Corellia anyway (t1_rail), and again on Nar Kreeta (t2_rancor).

"Then Jan punches the Weequay right in the..."

"Y'know, normally I'm the one going into danger while Jan flies the ship.  But this'll work too.  Find those prisoners, and bring them back here for pickup."

General Howard likes this

Not true, the other Jedi you see in the academy are set to randomly pick Jaden variants. Other than the jedi_trainer and jedi NPCs. Once it was all females other than them when I played through.

I feel like 2 out 5 main cast isn't terrible for JKA, female to male ratio, not counting Jaden. If you make Jaden female it's 3 out 6.

But I agree, Jan should have played a role but I'm sure they wanted to bring new characters where possible, such as Wedge and Chewie.

therfiles and General Howard like this

Would have loved to see Jan accompany Jaden on a mission while Kyle is busy, for example. That would have been a lot of fun -- instead of abandoning his Padawan, and leaving him/her to fend for themselves.

Imagine if, on the way, we could get to know some more personal things about our "Master" from Jan. Would have helped bond with Kyle as a father figure.

And I still don't see why Mara Jade couldn't have made at least a cameo appearance on a mission somewhere. Maybe even require help from us on her own mission (that somehow ties in with the Disciples events at the Praxeum). The same way that Wedge requires our help, Mara could have, too.

@@Ramikad, those mentions of Jan don't relay the current situation/events -- they're more from the past, from Outcast. The fan service is nice, but it's not the same as having Jan around, or talked about in the present sense.

@@Circa, that's true, but apart from Rosh and Jaden, the rest of the students are not main characters. If you look at the main cast, and you make Jaden male (as it is in canon) it's very male dominated -- men are good, and women are troublemakers, evil... :/

The lack of female instructors at the Praxeum makes things feel really weird, actually. Like @@LucyTheAlien said, it's a bit of a sausage fest...

I feel like Jan should've been included- it's a tad weird how much of either a sausage fest the main cast is or that you're the only girl other than Tavion in Academy. 

There's both Tavion *and Alora*. Then you have a Female Jedi model, if you choose to be Female, in the "Species" Character Creation screen.

Yeah, I don't see having an all-female villain team as a bad thing in the game, nor some kind of subtext. It was quite refreshing in fact since the movies/other games always had all-male pairings. Palpatine-Vader, Sidious-Dooku, Revan-Malak, etc.

Cerez likes this

Yeah, I don't see having an all-female villain team as a bad thing in the game, nor some kind of subtext. It was quite refreshing in fact since the movies/other games always had all-male pairings. Palpatine-Vader, Sidious-Dooku, Revan-Malak, etc.

Would've been great if Tavion's character wasn't cardboard and we know nothing about Alora, Alora's just a tier above Darth Bandon and Tavion has less dimensions than Darth Malak. 

Cerez likes this

Would've been great if Tavion's character wasn't cardboard and we know nothing about Alora, Alora's just a tier above Darth Bandon and Tavion has less dimensions than Darth Malak. 

Oh for sure, but that's more to do with problems in JKA's story as a whole. The writing was never up to the same scratch as KOTOR. Ironically, other than Kyle and Luke (and both of them rely on the player's outside knowledge of them as characters) the only person who gets any real development across JKA's storyline is Rosh, the guy everyone hates.

Cerez and LucyTheAlien like this

Sometime shortly after the mission on Hoth:

"Hi Jaden, this is Mara. Kyle's told me about your heroics. I need you to assist me in the retrieval of some crucial data from a small, Imperial cruiser. Are you up for the task?"

If accepted:

"Alright. Hopefully we won't attract too much attention..."

Otherwise: 'Return to the academy.'

That's all there needed to be -- just one level! ;)

P.S. I'm entertaining the thought of creating it (modding it in). :lol:

(Adding Jan in would be a little more difficult... -- because of the voiceover...)

LucyTheAlien likes this

"Hi Jaden, this is Mara. Kyle's told me about your heroics. I need you to assist me in the retrieval of some crucial data from a small, Imperial cruiser. Are you up for the task?"

If accepted:

"Alright. Hopefully we don't attract too much attention..."

(Adding Jan in would be a little more difficult... -- because of the voiceover...)

I don't know. In the books she's always a lone wolf, and always having a hard time to trust just anyone.

I don't know. In the books she's always a lone wolf, and always having a hard time to trust just anyone.

But what about her personal experiences with Kyle? Surely she'd trust a student of Kyle (and Luke) -- this much at least?

Or is this plot better suited to Jan? :)

LucyTheAlien likes this

If accepted:

"Alright. Hopefully we don't attract too much attention..."

Otherwise: 'Return to the academy.'

krkarr and Cerez like this