Design Process

Hello!

I'm curious, particularly for mappers that do really big projects, what is your design process like?

For example, do you start with an idea, do research, then draw concept, then start mapping? Or do you get an idea then just open GTKRadient and start mapping?

Personally, I get an idea, then I draw, then I start mapping. If I get stuck and don't have an idea to fill a wall, then I'll go find a reference photo.

What do you do?

I think my mapping process is a little different to most. I usually sketch out a layout plan, but very rarely actually know exactly what I want each area of the map to look like before I open radiant. From there I either just start making the first area, and that will generally dictate how the rest of the map ends up looking. Alternatively I will sometimes block out the rough shape of the areas and gradually add detail to all of it. Either way, I will go over the map several times after I have each area built and add more details.

So I guess I largely just design as I go.

Depending on what it is, I'll sketch out a rough layout, then work off of that, sometimes/mostly deviating at least a little bit. Other times, I get the idea of what I want and start working, usually when it's just an overall idea I'm working for instead of a particular layout. My flying fortress map was the former. My zombie tunnel map is the latter.

• 3 weeks later...