One way vis

I know patch meshes can be used to make one way walls and walls that can be seen through on one side, but is there any way to make an area of the map able to see another without the reverse being possible?

I am trying to make a room in the front of a large ship that has a large glass wall that looks out into space. Due to the large number of polygons in this room, i want to use a wall texture on the outside of the ship, and seal it off. But i still want people in the room to be able to see into space. Is there any way to do this without using portals?

Sorry for the hasty post, I am actually at work trying to figure this out on my head and I have no idea how.

Heya NAB622.

You should just be able to put 2 planes there. 1 which is facing the inside of the ship which will have the mirror see-through texture, and the other plane parallel with it which will be facing the outside of the ship which will have the wall texture. From my understanding that should work.

ooeJack

That will work as far as hiding the inside of the room, yes, but the game would still be drawing the inside of the room. I'm trying to prevent that, both for sound leakage reasons and for rendering speed. I intend to have a LOT of stuff in this room.

ooeJack likes this

Is a space skybox sufficient? In that case just put a wall with a skybox texture there.

Based on my understanding of bsp, what you're asking for is also possible in vis - in theory at least. I think the format distinguishes between leaf x can see leaf y and leaf y can see leaf x. I'm not aware of any way to make q3map2 generate such visdata though.

I'm mapping an Imperial Dreadnaught, inside and out, with my own embellishments. I want to make a very large room at the front of the ship, with two of the walls being a huge, curved glass window that can see into space, so if anyone is flying around, outside, they are visible. But from the outside of the ship, all anyone will be able to see is the ship's hull.

I know I could use a misc_portal_camera and misc_portal_surface to do this, somewhat....but I don't know if it would work correctly, as it would only open some leafs to each other, and not all of them.

The other problem is that I don't want players flying around outside to hear sounds from inside the ship - there will likely be music and carnage inside.

It looks like Antiportals might do what I am looking for.....and they might work for my application because it is unlikely/impossible for them to line up with any structural splits, since the wall is curved. I'll have to check them out.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this sound dumb, I'm no expert on mapping, just a bit imaginative, but this may be an idea to use as workaround.

With the misc_portal_camera outside facing the exterior, an skybox of the interior of the ship on the outside, and a misc_portal_surface linked to the misc_portal_camera facing the outside, you may achieve this.

Concept:

0xaPdUr.png

This may works  :kylo:

The hard part may be that skybox of the interior...

NAB622 likes this