Anti-Portals .. How to?

It seems to still be some sort of a mystery. From what I've experimented, they're supposed to be hidden within geometry, models or brushes, large enough so that it will stop rendering everything that's behind it. I tried it with a scaled crate model, and it seemed to work. Can't say much more about it - I'm not sure if there's a min or max size for the antiportal to work.

Langerd likes this

Take a brush, put system/skip on all sides except the one with antiportal on it.

The brush will not be included in the bsp and thus won't be visible ingame, but will be taken into account during VIS calculation, i.e. leafs on the opposite side won't be rendered.

As far as I understand misc_models are stored as trisoups in the bsp and can thus only be completely visible or invisible, unless you forcemeta them using spawnflags 4 or an appropriate shader.

Langerd likes this

Take a brush, put system/skip on all sides except the one with antiportal on it.

The brush will not be included in the bsp and thus won't be visible ingame, but will be taken into account during VIS calculation, i.e. leafs on the opposite side won't be rendered.

As far as I understand misc_models are stored as trisoups in the bsp and can thus only be completely visible or invisible, unless you forcemeta them using spawnflags 4 or an appropriate shader.

so this is just a wall that makes everything invisible what is behind it right? This can optimize in many many ways D8

Is there any limit of this? is here any movie or tutorial that show this?

What's the difference between a two-sided antiportal and an areaportal?

What's the difference between a two-sided antiportal and an areaportal?

Areaportals are for doors, their VIS-visibility is toggled when the door opens. Antiportals are always opaque to VIS (albeit not rendered in-game).

I imagine as you enter a two-sided antiportal, the world behind you vanishes (while you still can't see in front of you), then as you emerge on the other side, that half of the world pops into existence.

• 1 year later...

This is hugggge return to this topic. There are bit of problems with the anti portal. Sometimes it is cutting to much or in angles that i didnt want to or it compwtely remove the part of the map which i am standing on.

Have some one use it for map making? Can you show me screens fromgtkradiant how you placed your antiportals?

I must optimaze my jabba sail barge map.. this wont be easy task

Vis was always hard for me to understand and i always made maps to use it very rarely... but here it is full open area map. And it is hard as hell