[Sound] Kylo Ren helmet filter in Audacity

Lucy

Hey! So sometimes I like to do voice impressions and whatnot or edit other sounds for use in JKA and one of the most interesting topics, in my opinion, has been the matter of Kylo Ren's helmet filtration. I've made a little formula that I think sounds pretty serviceable in Audacity, but pobody's nerfect and I was wondering if anyone else with more experience might have something better. @@Circa (perhaps?)

Well, I played around very briefly in Logic. I wasn't sure if you were wanting me to stick with just using Audacity or if you were asking how I'd actually do it. So I did the latter. :P This was a real quick job that I did in like 10 minutes. I could probably make it a lot better, but it's fairly simple of an effect, in my opinion. It obviously won't sound 100% like Kylo Ren without Adam Driver's voice. I used a few male Jaden lines.

I can mess around in Audacity too, but yours is pretty good as well. I think this guy kinda gets it as good as you'll get in Audacity.

Well, I played around very briefly in Logic. I wasn't sure if you were wanting me to stick with just using Audacity or if you were asking how I'd actually do it. So I did the latter. :P This was a real quick job that I did in like 10 minutes. I could probably make it a lot better, but it's fairly simple of an effect, in my opinion. It obviously won't sound 100% like Kylo Ren without Adam Driver's voice. I used a few male Jaden lines.

I can mess around in Audacity too, but yours is pretty good as well. I think

kinda gets it as good as you'll get in Audacity.

Thank you! I actually did come across his tutorial and incorporated some of it into my own effect. But anyway, Logic... hm. I know you're more experienced in sound editing than I am. I would be grateful if you could tinker around in Audacity to see if you can attain the closest effect achievable and post the formula here--same for Logic too, if it turns out better in that program. Here's a reference--

There are certain special things about it that I want to be able to imitate, like the clicks in the audio he projects in some sentences, or that subtle swirl. That might be impossible to replicate since we're not SW SFX, but the closer the better.

Edited by Circa

Thank you! I actually did come across his tutorial and incorporated some of it into my own effect. But anyway, Logic... hm. I know you're more experienced in sound editing than I am. I would be grateful if you could tinker around in Audacity to see if you can attain the closest effect achievable and post the formula here--same for Logic too, if it turns out better in that program. Here's a reference--

There are certain special things about it that I want to be able to imitate, like the clicks in the audio he projects in some sentences, or that subtle swirl. That might be impossible to replicate since we're not SW SFX, but the closer the better.

I'm not sure those are in his actual voice, but just in the clip from the film, from background noise or other foley effects in that scene. That subtle swirl is only in a few lines, from what I could tell.

Lucy likes this

I'm not sure those are in his actual voice, but just in the clip from the film, from background noise or other foley effects in that scene. That subtle swirl is only in a few lines, from what I could tell.

Interesting point. Whatever is closest then, in any case.

--Also, which voice do you figure would be best for manipulation?

• 2 weeks later...