New Jedi Knight Jedi Academy

Yeah i'd see a reboot more happening, since the old story is now non-canon. Hope they can come up with a decent story though.

Not sure what they'd work with. Maybe we could get Kyle back into firm cannon status though. Would be kind of amusing though if they left Rosh in but acknowledged how annoying he was and left open more options for stiff arming him, before murdering him.

I could see them doing a sort of Jedi Academy like game though, where you play a no name padawan and work through the ranks learning from Luke until either joining the Knights of Ren ABC destroying the other Jedi students or fleeing.

LucyTheAlien and Smoo like this

JKG Developer

• 4 weeks later...

I would prefer a game that is not set in Star Wars but with the same melee combat of Jedi Academy, although for me unfortunately Dark Souls is the game that lately is inspiring most of melee focused third-person games. 

For me to be based on Star Wars is limiting, because it can generate copyright problems and because you have to limit the video game to what is possible in this franchise.

Lately there have been some indie games focused on melee third-person combat, such as Edge of Twilight, Furi, Necropolis, The Turkey of Christmas Past. I have not played them, but why not make an indie with the Jedi Academy combat system, even if it's not Star Wars?

Smoo likes this

I don't think it's possible to make or expect such a game now. Not from the current developers. JA as well as other titles were made in the golden era of gaming (imho), when many genres were still popular. My friend in the game design field said, that many of these are less popular these days, like quests for instance. They might even die out.

Star Wars at those years were a combination of quality and novelty (even though there were some bad games too!). Thus we had action (Dark Forces I-II), adventure (Shadows of the Empire), podracing, flight simulators (Rogue Squadron), role-playing adventure (KOTOR), strategic games (SW Galactic Battlegrounds, SW Empire at War), and yes, we also had Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, which were close to the classics (DF), as well as went in line with then popular shooters of other franchises.

JO and JA also were among some of those, who offered a more personal experience with Star Wars: while JA directly allows you to create a new character for yourself, JO was the first to become a major hub for fans to make something new, which laid path for mods and skins, and this very forum :)

The major problem with all this is: AAA games nowadays are boring and uninspired. So no major developer/publisher should be involved in making a new Jedi Knight game. But an indie developer will never have the right to make a SW game (especially now as EA holds the rights). That's why I don't even wanna see a new JK game at this point.

I don't think it's possible to make or expect such a game now. Not from the current developers. JA as well as other titles were made in the golden era of gaming (imho), when many genres were still popular. My friend in the game design field said, that many of these are less popular these days, like quests for instance. They might even die out.

Well I think the genre of JA and JO is more popular than ever, it's not called action and adventure, but ARPG: Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, Mass Effect and The Witcher are examples of third-person action games which could be used to pose a new Jedi Knight.

The major problem with all this is: AAA games nowadays are boring and uninspired. So no major developer/publisher should be involved in making a new Jedi Knight game. But an indie developer will never have the right to make a SW game (especially now as EA holds the rights). That's why I don't even wanna see a new JK game at this point.

There are great AAA game sagas that are not boring, like some I mentioned above. And the game does not have to be SW, but pick up the combat system of JA and JO.