Multiplayer to Singleplayer skin converter?

Hello all,

as the title implies, I don't know if a little script could make it so that skins and saber hilts developed for multiplayer can be selected in the customization menu in singleplayer?

Thank in advance

Hello !

Yup I have answered Omicron on my other thread about this, but I'll do this here too

Well I've read it and yup, seems quite simple ! 

I didn't have time to completely read it and try, but is this applicable to singleplayer customization menu or only mulitplayer?

Also...I would have another question, which is : do you have something similar for lightsaber hilts, please?

I'd really like to make a megapack containing a maximum number of star wars characters and lightsaber hilts for singleplayer and maybe release it after that so...

Thanks in advance anyway !

EDIT : my bad, just read the first few lines ^^ Okay for it, I'll try this :)

I didn't have time to completely read it and try, but is this applicable to singleplayer customization menu or only mulitplayer?

Both.

Also...I would have another question, which is : do you have something similar for lightsaber hilts, please?

Nope. Never played around with hilts in SP so I have no clue what to do.

EDIT : Ok managed to do so, very helpful tutorial, thanks a lot :)

I was wondering : if you do it this way, are the textures you should have from the original skin the same quality or are a bit lower? Because I have downloaded a Darth Vader skin and it seems really low quality in SP, but maybe it is from the skin itself...I don't know ^^

It's okay for hilts then, thanks :)

@@dark_apprentice has posted great step-by-step instructions in another thread where this same question was asked recently.

@@Drakov

It's not a simple process, but for something you really want, it's doable.

Once you get the grasp of how to make an MP player model appear in SP, you can do the following for the chosen hilt(s):

1. Copy the file "ui/saber.menu" out of "assets1.pk3".

2. Copy the file "strings/English/MENUS.str" out of "assets0.pk3" (provided that you are running the game in the English language).

3. You are going to make a PK3 with these text files included in the same folder location as they were originally in the assets PK3s, so recreate the folders, and place these two files in them accordingly.

4. Open the "saber.menu" file in a simple text editor (like Notepad), and search for the term "single_9". It will appear twice in the document. For both instances you need to copy this whole line and create an exact duplicate of it underneath. Now change "single_(hilt)9" in the duplicate entries to the name you're going to give to your new lightsaber hilt (e.g. @MENUS_SINGLE_HILT9 "single_9" to @MENUS_SKYWALKER "Skywalker"). Do this for every additional hilt you want to add with their given name.

5. Open the "MENUS.str" file in a simple text editor (like Notepad), and search for the term "SINGLE_HILT9". Copy the three lines (the line block) that make up the "Firebrand" entry, and create a neat, duplicate block of them underneath. Now change "SINGLE_HILT9" and "Firebrand" to the name/reference you gave the hilt earlier in "ui.menu" (e.g. "SINGLE_HILT9" to "SKYWALKER", and "Firebrand" to "Skywalker"). Once again, repeat this for every new hilt you'd like to add.

6. Make sure that the name you've given your hilt(s) in these two text files is what they are actually called in their "ext_data/sabers/*.sab" file in their PK3 (e.g. skywalker { name "Skywalker"). Change their name/reference if you need to.

7. Select the "ui" and "strings" folders, ZIP them, and change the extension of the ZIP file to PK3 (or, alternatively, use Pakscape to create a PK3 with these folders). Name the PK3 "zzAssets.pk3". The game loads PK3s from the bottom up top down, and your changed files need to load before after the game's default ones for the changes to work in-game.

8. Put the PK3 into your main "base" folder, and when you fire up the SP game, if you did everything right, you should see the new hilts in the selection menu now.

dark_apprentice likes this

Hi Cerez, thank you for taking the time to answer my thread :)

I don't have time to apply your tutorial this evening, but I will certainly try tomorrow :)

I have tried Omicron's one for skins and it works really fine, and is simple to apply, so I guess it is the same here :)

Thank you again !

For Omicron's, everything works, except for showing the name in the menu...I don't know what's going wrong, I'll try to find where is the error coming from.

EDIT : Okay I've read it whole...

So I will need to create total new PK3's, opposed to character skins?

For character skins I was able to just modify the original "menu.str" and skin's files from inside pk3's. But with hilts it works differently I guess...Well I'll give it try this afternoon :)

For character skins I was able to just modify the original "menu.str" and skin's files from inside pk3's.

You should never modify the original files in the assets PK3s. You create a copy of them, and put them in a new PK3 that goes after the assets PK3s in order for it to load first last.

Worth mentioning here that the game can only load one "MENUS.str" file. So if you have multiple ones in different PK3s, only the first last one will be loaded, and the rest will be ignored. Therefore, when you need to make changes to "MENUS.str", do it to the one in "zzAssets.pk3" that you've created. Make all the changes you need there, both for the character names and for the hilts.

You should never modify the original files in the assets PK3s. You create a copy of them, and put them in a new PK3 that goes after the assets PK3s in order for it to load first.

Worth mentioning here that the game can only load one "MENUS.str" file. So if you have multiple ones in different PK3s, only the first one will be loaded, and the rest will be ignored. Therefore, when you need to make changes to "MENUS.str", do it to the one in "zzAssets.pk3" that you've created. Make all the changes you need there, both for the character names and for the hilts.

Let me clarify further: the game can only load one of any file. Whichever is located in a PK3 last alphabetically will be loaded last, and therefore overwrite the contents of the previous ones.

Cerez likes this

Let me clarify further: the game can only load one of any file. Whichever is located in a PK3 last alphabetically will be loaded last, and therefore overwrite the contents of the previous ones.

In other words, the lower the file in the alphabetical list (both within a PK3 and in the PK3 list), the more it will take precedence, and the game can only load one of each file -- which is a handy way for you to overwrite the default game files without actually having to physically overwrite them. There are some exceptions to this (like ENT data), but you don't need to know this, and we won't go into that.

You should never physically overwrite the default game files because if you mess up, there is no way for you to revert back to the original content (other than re-installing the whole game), and in the chance that the base PK3 assets are officially updated, your custom changes will be overwritten. Not to mention that the integrity of your base game can be compromised this way for MP, breaking some of its functionality.

You should never modify the original files in the assets PK3s. You create a copy of them, and put them in a new PK3 that goes after the assets PK3s in order for it to load first.

Worth mentioning here that the game can only load one "MENUS.str" file. So if you have multiple ones in different PK3s, only the first one will be loaded, and the rest will be ignored. Therefore, when you need to make changes to "MENUS.str", do it to the one in "zzAssets.pk3" that you've created. Make all the changes you need there, both for the character names and for the hilts.

One question...why does it look like forbidden to modify your files from inside PK3s?

For the rest...nothing to say, easy to get :)

Cerez is referring to modifying the original assets1-3 themselves. It's fine to make copies of the files within them and edit them but not the original copies themselves. This is in case something goes wrong and you're left with messed up assets which you can't fix unless you reinstall the game.

Cerez likes this