No, just use regular crosswalk>export, it'll export a dotXSI6 file which is a newer version of .xsi, doesn't work for JA though but will let you transfer.

Just looked at your file and most of the transforms on the model are not right, you need to go back and use the freeze all transforms then freeze the modeling construction history, the Freeze M button is at the bottom of the right tool pane, may have to collapse the transform tools by right clicking on the dark gray transform bar before you see it depending on screen resolution. With Freeze M rather than the regular Freeze you can edit the mesh and freeze them without losing the envelope weights operator.

You mainly need to spend more time fitting the model to the skeleton, mostly the hands and feet, the feet should point straight forward and just move the bolt_*foot up so the bottom edge matches the bottom of the models foot so he doesn't either float above the ground or clip through it.

Grab the null skeleton from the tutorial thread too, that one has too much clutter since Corto started on a rig using it but never finished.

so how exactly does one screw up the transforms? just to avoid the problem in the future. is it cuz i might have been testing the bones on the wrong frame and tried to ctrl+z it to undo? seems like u cant really undo the bone movement fully once u do it to test the deforming. did that make any sense?

ima start over with that new skele thx mini. ill fit the skele a bit better, thx for the advice on the feet cuz the skele kinda confused me, and just to be perfectly clear, the new skeleton will have the tags already weighed to the skeleton right? and i just need to drag like the l_hand tag under the l_hand mesh in the heirarchy right for all the tags? i dont need to weigh it to the l_hand bone or nothin just link it?

also, any ideas on why the textures didnt work? i made a skin file and its not even showin skins available tab in modview. seems as if the uv coordinates and what not maybe werent transferred from xsi6 to assimilate. textures work fine in xsi6.

In 7.5 I know the UV's aren't transfered because I got the same thing in modview with Inyri's geth model, I have a student licence for Softimage 2013 and imported the .xsi file and there were no UV's which lead to the white model in modview. I finished her model in 2013 but then imported the finished .xsi file that I put through assimilate through Mod Tool 6 and exported, compiled and it worked fine, you MUST have the textures box checked, I know in 7.5 that gives you an error message, not in 6.

Local transforms change any time you translate, rotate or scale a mesh, whenever you do you must freeze the transforms so they are at 0,0,0 in world, every game is like this, even in 3ds max people must do this before exporting, the tools just have different names.

The tags in the null skeleton do have weights but even if they didn't it's not like it's a big deal, you only want them enveloped to ONE bone that is the CLOSEST to them.

Maybe when the textures for a model I have are done and I make the video tutorial things will be more clear, you may even smack yourself when you realize that you're kinda over thinking it. =p

these are my settings...

settingsn.jpg

and this is my error...

errorqz.jpg

exporting from xsi 6

doesnt give me the error if i uncheck textures, but then it doesnt gimme the uvcoordinates in modview just white

heres my crosswalk export settings from 7.5 to 6.0 id really love to be able to rig in 7.5 and export from 6 if possible

crosswalk.jpg

well, after vigorous tampering... ive learned that xsi6 cant export the materials in the modtool version. so i just screwed up by assigning materials to the peices rather than just the textures imported with the .objs. make sense?

so should i just assign textures and not materials?

dude... i started from scratch with that skele provided in the thread. both times i export i get 0 textures.. and if i check the textures box i get

func not implemented in exp version

im using xsi 6.01

any ideas?

also, even with starting over, with 2 different models now, when i open in modview, the right arms and legs look rigged to the left bones so it looks like all my characters have 2 left arms n legs n 0 right ones. wtf

any ideas?

when i select the bones in modview, theyre in the right spot. but the mesh is over rigged to the other side lol

just to be straight...

1. i imported the janull skele as an xsi didnt change any import settings...

2. i imported all the mesh's as .obj's,

a. select a peice of mesh, go to materials-lambert go to diffuse and select an image to use

b.select image for that particular peice of geometry

c. repeat for all peices

3. fit mesh to skele

4. heirarchy

hips

-torso

-arms

-hands

-head

-legs

-feet

pretty much in lamens like that

5. set a keyframe at fram 0 on rotate and translate

6. switch to frame 1 so i dont screw with the skele base position

7. put the tags under their corresponding mesh in the heirarchy

8.envelope each peice of mesh according to which bones are going thru it or necessary

9. weight paint

10. test on frame 1, if no problems, switch to frame 0, freeze modelling

11. select model root in heirarchy and go to select model

12. export .xsi with the settings i posted previously.

i get no assimilate problems, but the problems i just explained above. did i screw up somewheres?

yeah i got the skin file all correct and in the right place. mini said i could reset transforms by clicking freeze modelling which i did. crazy stuff i dunno

edit:

skinfile

i named it model_default.skin

hips,models/players/proxy/stomache.jpg

lhip,models/players/proxy/hips.jpg

head,models/players/proxy/head.jpg

legwires_left,models/players/proxy/legwires.jpg

lleg,models/players/proxy/legs.jpg

lfoot,models/players/proxy/feet.jpg

legwires_right,models/players/proxy/legwires.jpg

rleg,models/players/proxy/legs.jpg

rfoot,models/players/proxy/feet.jpg

torso,models/players/proxy/torso.jpg

chestplate,models/players/proxy/chestplate.jpg

emblem,models/players/proxy/emblem.jpg

neckring,models/players/proxy/neckring.jpg

neckring_hinges,models/players/proxy/neckring.jpg

shoulders,models/players/proxy/shoulders.jpg

eye_left,models/players/proxy/eyes.jpg

eye_right,models/players/proxy/eyes.jpg

head_wires,models/players/proxy/head_wires.jpg

larm,models/players/proxy/arms.jpg

larm_ext,models/players/proxy/arms_ext.jpg

larm_wires,models/players/proxy/armwires.jpg

rarm,models/players/proxy/arms.jpg

rarm_ext,models/players/proxy/arms_ext.jpg

rarm_wires,models/players/proxy/armwires.jpg

ribs,models/players/proxy/ribs.jpg

rings_left,models/players/proxy/rings.jpg

rings_right,models/players/proxy/rings.jpg

spine,models/players/proxy/spine.jpg

I think you're rushing too much and aren't carefully reading

FIRST, Select all parts of your model then do Transform>Freeze all transforms

SECOND, hit the Freeze M button to freeze the modeling construction history, this way you wont loose evelope weights.

You have to use version 6 NOT 6.01, the download is in the thread in my sig at the top

dude mini u totally fixed it man ima dummass. thx man. now i just gotta figure out the texture problem... do u assign a lambert or something or just the image directly into the material on surface?

edit:

o.m.f.g dude.. i totally screwed the pooch. thats why my textures arent exporting. duuuuuude.. im such a tool ima get it right now from that link. mini my bad man. i am honestly just lmao @ myself right now.

so...

besides screwing up every aspect of it, i think i got it this time lmfao. should we get a pot going?

moving on...

hey man i saw online a couple of multiple .obj importers and dragndrop .obj importers u ever get any of those working on 6?

• 2 weeks later...

so makin that skele for kazdans got me wantin to take a break, so i overhauled proxys textures and got him all prettied up, ill be rigging him tomorrow.

proxytexts.gif

5800 tris

3400 points

crits?

i coulda prolly saved a few polys here or there by not adding in some of the needless detail (since it is jka), but its not too bad and i like how he turned out.

the light metal seems to lack shading imo, you have some there I think, but too weak so it looks kind of like a cutout from a flat picture of metal and just slapped on. Ingame light would help a tiny bit but my suggestion is work some more on it. When you're so close to having a great finished product what's a little extra work to get proper looking metal ? xD

EDIT:

Looked at some reference and I got some more feedback. used this: http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/c/c5/PROXY_tfu.jpg

It would seem the metal has bit of a blue/purple tint to it, And yeah I'm aware he's got purple light's on him, I'm looking at parts where the light isn't hitting a metal surface directly and he still seems to have some color to the metal. So that's a thing to consider maybe?

Also his metal doesn't have as much noise as yours, making the metal look smoother. <-- another thing to consider?

yeah im hand painting him inch by inch now. im pretty flabbergasted at how hes turning out..and his metal is no longer an issue. the reason i added noise in the first place is cuz i wanted to see how it would look flat instead of glossy. but it bombed.hes fixed now.. ill post some pics soon.